Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by pointer
Of note, the Bergara advertises the use of a #2 barrel in the Mountain version, which many folks have stated they'd have liked to see on the short action Fieldcrafts...

That's fine,but it would still weigh quite a bit more than a short action Barrett with a #2

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Of note, the Bergara advertises the use of a #2 barrel in the Mountain version, which many folks have stated they'd have liked to see on the short action Fieldcrafts...

That's fine,but it would still weigh quite a bit more than a short action Barrett with a #2

I bet the difference would be less than 6 ounces.

Never having handled the two mentioned, I'd go Barrett just to buy from an American manufacturer. I'd bet a dollar to a donut the customer service, if ever needed, would be hard to top as well.

I do like the Bergaras I have handled though. That Premier Mountain is a great looking rifle. I like the stock lines on it better than the Field Craft, but again, I haven't handled either one.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Since we are splitting cuni hairs, I'll take that bet :-)
If the Bergara in '06 is 6 pd 3 oz as listed, it will be more than 6 oz ... Probably closer to 10-12 oz.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
SA vs SA.

Same barrel weight.

Stocks are likely a wash. Both carbon fiber.

Action would be the only difference. The Bergara is a 700 clone, so it would be about the same weight as a SA 700. Not sure what the Barret SA weighs, but I'd be shocked if it was more than 6oz lighter than a 700.

I've been shocked before though. grin

ETA - You might have me with the bottom metal. Especially if its steel..

Last edited by MadMooner; 01/18/18.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Im going based on Bergara's website based weight; '06 to '06.
If their SA offering weights 6 pd 3 oz as well, then the equivalent barrett is a full pound lighter.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
SA vs SA.

Same barrel weight.

Action would be the only difference. The Bergara is a 700 clone, so it would be about the same weight as a SA 700. Not sure what the Barret SA weighs, but I'd be shocked if it was more than 6oz lighter than a 700.

I'd guess the Barrett SA to be ~20oz as it's modeled after the NULA M20 action. Big plus (in my book) for the Barrett SA is that it has a 3" mag box. Anyone know the Bergara's SA mag box length?

In long actions, there's no plus for mag box length on the Barrett LA...I'm guessing the Bergara is going to be 700 length.(?)

I think it will be tough to beat the Barrett long or short action on action weight. They are slim and trim.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I bet the difference would be less than 6 ounces.

Never having handled the two mentioned, I'd go Barrett just to buy from an American manufacturer. I'd bet a dollar to a donut the customer service, if ever needed, would be hard to top as well.

I do like the Bergaras I have handled though. That Premier Mountain is a great looking rifle. I like the stock lines on it better than the Field Craft, but again, I haven't handled either one.

Even if it is "only" 6 ounces,when you are paying for a 5 lbs rifle 6 ounces is a big deal. If 6 ounces isn't a big deal then there are many options to look at in rifles in the 6 lb range.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
SA vs SA.

Same barrel weight.

I'd guess the Barrett SA to be ~20oz as it's modeled after the NULA M20 action. Big plus (in my book) for the Barrett SA is that it has a 3" mag box. Anyone know the Bergara's SA mag box length?

In long actions, there's no plus for mag box length on the Barrett LA...I'm guessing the Bergara is going to be 700 length.(?)

I think it will be tough to beat the Barrett long or short action on action weight. They are slim and trim.

You're right. Didn't realize the Barrett was so trimmed down. Whats a 700 SA weigh? 30oz or so? 10oz right there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That Bergara mountain looks pretty cool and if one wanted to go magnum likely a great lightweight option no doubt.

However if one wants a SA lightweight in standard cartridges really you are looking at Kimber or Barrett to get you in the 5.5.5 pound weight rifle. I mean my Barrett is almost exactly 7 pounds on the nose, even with 29-30 oz of scope, rings, and rail on it. (Maybe if I took the extra tape off the barrel it would be right on. smile )

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd choose Bergara but that's because I have a B14 here and I'm impressed by the quality.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
That Bergara mountain looks pretty cool and if one wanted to go magnum likely a great lightweight option no doubt.

However if one wants a SA lightweight in standard cartridges really you are looking at Kimber or Barrett to get you in the 5.5.5 pound weight rifle. I mean my Barrett is almost exactly 7 pounds on the nose, even with 29-30 oz of scope, rings, and rail on it. (Maybe if I took the extra tape off the barrel it would be right on. smile )

[Linked Image]

Nice rig! How's the balance with the short barrel? Do you normally hunt with it suppressed? Seems like the perfect rifle for hunting with a can just curious how it is without one.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I think Bergara as I could get in my favorite cartridge .300 Win and kick some ass!.....Lol....plus the Bergara has a floorplate, im not a fan of blind magazine rifles...Hb

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A few months back I wanted to build a light weight mountain rifle, but most on the forum said go Fieldcraft. When adding everything up for a build there was no way the build would cost less than a Fieldcraft. So...I bought a 6.5 CM from a member on the Fire. Bare rifle with rings weighed 5lbs 4 oz. Scoped with a 4x12 it weighs 6 lbs even.

I like to fit and finish of the rifle. The only thing I guess I could complain about would be the stock. The fore end is a little large. I have a McMillan compact stock on another rifle and it is perfect for me. Very slim and narrow fore arm. With that said, I would not go through the expense of another stock and bedding.

Recoil of the CM is a lot more than what I expected, compared to other CMs I have in heavier rifles. A lot of barrel jump and muzzle blast. I had to modify my shooting style to the rifle while on the bench.

Best group so far with factory ammo is a five shot group with the Hornady 143 ELDXs. Group measured 0.69”. I have some 140 Bergers and H 4350 that I am waiting to try when it warms up a bit this weekend.

Long story is that I am 97% satisfied with the Fieldcraft so I recommend going that route.

Rick Grimes for Governor
"This isn't a democracy anymore"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I mean my Barrett is almost exactly 7 pounds on the nose, even with 29-30 oz of scope, rings, and rail on it. (Maybe if I took the extra tape off the barrel it would be right on. smile )

[Linked Image]

Luke.....what scope is that???

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Throw an Ultra 7 on there and you’d be up over 7.5 lbs of perfection.....

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

[Linked Image]

Throw an Ultra 7 on there and you’d be up over 7.5 lbs of perfection.....

HAHA....waiting on the ATF for just that!! Likely get it just after hunting season of this year I would be my guess...which is a bummer. That said the ultimate for this would actually be the Ultra 5. I through my brothers Ultra 5 on this setup and it went together like PB&J IMO. Still plenty quiet but 23" barrel overall and still suppressed and 7.5 pounds all up is hard not to like. As it is I will "suffer" with the Ultra 7 when I do get it jail broke. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
I mean my Barrett is almost exactly 7 pounds on the nose, even with 29-30 oz of scope, rings, and rail on it. (Maybe if I took the extra tape off the barrel it would be right on. smile )

[Linked Image]

Luke.....what scope is that???

A March 3-24X52 I traded into. Thus far I like it...we will see how it tracks. I got .097 MILs per click typed into my app data for corrections and will see how that works to 1000. I also need to slap this on the scope tracking tester and see how it works that way as well. The glass is way nice but I could care less about that aspect for the most part as a VX-2 glass is generally good enough for me and what I shoot haha.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SWGAShooter
A few months back I wanted to build a light weight mountain rifle, but most on the forum said go Fieldcraft. When adding everything up for a build there was no way the build would cost less than a Fieldcraft. So...I bought a 6.5 CM from a member on the Fire. Bare rifle with rings weighed 5lbs 4 oz. Scoped with a 4x12 it weighs 6 lbs even.

I like to fit and finish of the rifle. The only thing I guess I could complain about would be the stock. The fore end is a little large. I have a McMillan compact stock on another rifle and it is perfect for me. Very slim and narrow fore arm. With that said, I would not go through the expense of another stock and bedding.

Recoil of the CM is a lot more than what I expected, compared to other CMs I have in heavier rifles. A lot of barrel jump and muzzle blast. I had to modify my shooting style to the rifle while on the bench.

Best group so far with factory ammo is a five shot group with the Hornady 143 ELDXs. Group measured 0.69”. I have some 140 Bergers and H 4350 that I am waiting to try when it warms up a bit this weekend.

Long story is that I am 97% satisfied with the Fieldcraft so I recommend going that route.

Which 4-12 model did you get that was 10 oz? Figuring the rings themselves where 2 oz or so.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

I just ordered one from SAS Bergara Premier Mountain 6.5 Creed

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have not handled a Bergara, but I did just get a Barrett. My only real comment is you'll want to think a little about going 30-06 in that light of a rifle, and really hard about a 300wm. That would not be pleasant at all! FWIW, I plan to use my 6.5 for elk in CO. My 6lb 338 FED roughly matches a 30-06 and is more than adequate for elk.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 3,303 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,860
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.