Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ingwe
He's pretty tasty...... laugh

[Linked Image]

Congrats, Ingwe! What part of Texas was that?

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RIO7
[Linked Image]

Got this one just before dark after about a 3 hour spot and stock at about 360 yrds .243 A.I. 105 gr scenar, exit wound showing fun hunt. Rio7

Very nice! Congrats.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whipholt_wahoo
Originally Posted by Elvis
I've never been a fan of eating buck venison but it will go well in sausages or minced up. .

What color is the sky on your planet??

I've tried eating venison from rutting fallow bucks several times and it's too gamey for me. It may be fine at other times of the year but we make snags (sausages) from bucks shot in the rutting period. The pork fat and a few herbs and spices mask the flavour.

But you eat it all up if you want to.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RIO7
[Linked Image]

Got this one just before dark after about a 3 hour spot and stock at about 360 yrds .243 A.I. 105 gr scenar, exit wound showing fun hunt. Rio7

Dats a NICE one!!!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I've never been a fan of eating buck venison but it will go well in sausages or minced up. .

What color is the sky on your planet??

I've tried eating venison from rutting fallow bucks several times and it's too gamey for me. It may be fine at other times of the year but we make snags (sausages) from bucks shot in the rutting period. The pork fat and a few herbs and spices mask the flavour.

I've heard that about rutting fallow...Ive shot a couple, both well past the rut and both had a very delicate-almost bland- flavor to them...not at all gamey..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hell yes! perfect shot placement too, congrats. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
[quote=Elvis]

I've heard that about rutting fallow...Ive shot a couple, both well past the rut and both had a very delicate-almost bland- flavor to them...not at all gamey..

Some people say the strong flavour is from contamination while gutting and butchering the deer. Touching the smelly hide and then touching the meat. But I've cut steak from the back legs close down to the bone which could not have been contaminated by the skin and it was still strong. I think it may be a hormonal thing during the rut. But I do know I don't like it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Those are both nice deer. I have to spend some time in TX I guess, if I don't stop scratching this itch I might bleed to death smile. Fallow deer, Axis, Black Buck, Aoudad the list is seemingly endless.

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Those are both nice deer. I have to spend some time in TX I guess, if I don't stop scratching this itch I might bleed to death smile. Fallow deer, Axis, Black Buck, Aoudad the list is seemingly endless.

Axis and Aoudad are particularly fun to hunt....

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Someday soon I'll find out. Just need to sell off a few more rifles and a couple of shotguns and my "safari" funds will be well healed.

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Heres another to wet your whistle...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a good palm with lots of spellers. What's the other palm like? The thing with fallow is trying to get an even set of antlers. Often one antler will be weaker than the other or have a cleft. A nice even head with both antlers and palms looking similar makes a very nice head.

Well done.

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
What's the other palm like? The thing with fallow is trying to get an even set of antlers. Often one antler will be weaker than the other or have a cleft.

Right you are. Both fallow I have put pics up of are weaker on one side.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is very common. Still nice deer though.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The white Fallow I posted is about the closest to a balanced set of antlers of the Fallows I have killed. Rio7

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (10gaugemag, 673, 907brass, 79S, 21 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,481
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.