Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
For deer hunting I usually load either the Nosler Partitions or Accubonds, whichever shoots best out of each particular rifle. I do like the Nosler 120 Ballistic Tip in the 7mm-08, though. In the .270 Win. the most common bullet weight in factory ammo seems to be 130 gr., but I wouldn't hesitate to try to 140 gr. or 150 gr. to see how they perform in your rifle.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
if you a hand loader tuff to beat swift bullets ,I like swift a-frames myself.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd shot a lot of deer and a couple of elk with the Partitions and they worked, but left very small exit diameter holes that didn't put much blood on the ground. I had too many of those last light where is the blood trail searches. The insides strained through my fingers, but the Partition back half is what was making the exit wound and I didn't like what I was seeing. Back before Barnes made the TTSX, I shot some deer with the regular TSX and my 7mm-08 wasn't pushing it fast enough to expand much. One deer had a quarter size hole through both lungs instead of the pulp that I was accustomed to seeing. Then I lost the only deer that I'd ever lost using that TSX, so never again. The last one fell at the shot with an SST Hornady which can be rather satisfying in a woods full of other hunters. Deer are only about a foot or less through the chest cavity, so expansion sooner with enough bullet weight gets my vote.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I generally like to take the middle ground and stick to stuff like Core-Lokts, Power Points and interlocks. They've always worked good for me.

+1 To me it would be more difficult to find just about any bullet that would not work on deer.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have had great bullet performance out of Barnes TTSX in My .300 Win rifles....I have seen too many ballistic tip bullets blow up on impact to ever trust them.........Hb

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't encounter those 600 pound, armor plated deer where I hunt grin, so I'm typically using a cartridge based on a 308 case if not a straight 308. Ballistic Tips work great for me.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm liking these in the 270 win. 130 grain Trophy Bonded Tip. Water jug test @ 100 yards.
[Linked Image]

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The SC DNR did a study on a large South Carolina plantation about deer rifles and bullets.....its been out a while. The conclusion was that standard soft points and ballistic tip type bullets were more likely to kill instantly as well as making deer easier to find when they ran compared to "penetrating premium bullets". Keep in mind that these are guys shooting from stands over looking food plots or roads as is common in the South. Also, the deer are going to run small compared to the north and midwest.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/articlegad.html

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have always been a fan of Hornady Interlocks on deer. I killed over 150 white-tails with 100-grain Interlocks from my 6mm, right at 3000 fps and some more using a .308. .243, .260 and now 6.5 cm.. I killed a couple elk with 175 Interlocks, from my 7 mag, but switched to 160 Partitions and never looked back. It is your money, but unless you are planning to push them over 3000 fps, I would not consider a premium as necessary on deer. I have shot them at all angles and all ranges out to 450 or so, and have never had an issue with Interlocks not doing their jobs, or tearing up too much meat. Meat is not an issue, anyway, unless you shoot them through the hind quarters. I have rarely lost all of the meat off the front, by shooting the through the shoulders and lung shots are irrelevant, as there is nothing there anyway.

Another plus to the Interlocks, is that you can get them cheap and I have never once had a rifle that would not shoot them. I will NEVER shoot another SST. I had 150-grainers from a short .308 dynamite on small white-tail does and that was enough for me. I think that they are the worst bullet that Hornady makes, but they do shoot accurately, just like all Hornadys have for me..

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I have always been a fan of Hornady Interlocks on deer. I killed over 150 white-tails with 100-grain Interlocks from my 6mm, right at 3000 fps and some more using a .308. .243, .260 and now 6.5 cm.. I killed a couple elk with 175 Interlocks, from my 7 mag, but switched to 160 Partitions and never looked back. It is your money, but unless you are planning to push them over 3000 fps, I would not consider a premium as necessary on deer. I have shot them at all angles and all ranges out to 450 or so, and have never had an issue with Interlocks not doing their jobs, or tearing up too much meat. Meat is not an issue, anyway, unless you shoot them through the hind quarters. I have rarely lost all of the meat off the front, by shooting the through the shoulders and lung shots are irrelevant, as there is nothing there anyway.

Another plus to the Interlocks, is that you can get them cheap and I have never once had a rifle that would not shoot them. I will NEVER shoot another SST. I had 150-grainers from a short .308 dynamite on small white-tail does and that was enough for me. I think that they are the worst bullet that Hornady makes, but they do shoot accurately, just like all Hornadys have for me..

I do like the interlocks, currently I have 150gr and 165gr Interlocks and 180gr SSTs in .308, also 130gr and 140gr Interlocks, along with 130gr Ballistic Tips in .277. In my 270, 130gr bullets are usually right around 3,000fps. In my 308 and 30-06 I have velocities all over the place depending on the individual load, but nothing I’ve seen faster than 2850. Plan on taking the 270 and 308 out west with me.

IC B3

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sbhooper

In relation to penetration versus expansion, according the Berger Bullets and some gun articles I have read, some of the Berger bullets are designed to penetrate a couple of inches, end then expand rapidly. Supposedly these bullets kill fast, specially lung/hear shots on deer. But I have no idea if the articles and advertisements are true, since I don't use Berger bullets nor hunt deer. Anyway, here is what Berger says about it, and its worth a look:

http://www.bergerbullets.com/information/line-and-designs/
The Hunting bullet line is proving to be the most lethal big game hunting bullets available. All of our Hunting bullets are made in the VLD or Hybrid designs. These designs incorporate a sharp nose and slightly thinner jacket that allows the bullet to penetrate 2” to 3” before it starts to expand. After the bullet starts to expand it will shed 40% to 85% of its weight as shrapnel into the surrounding tissue (internal organ). The combination between the shrapnel and the hydrostatic shock produces a massive wound cavity within the vital area (internal organs) that will be 13” to 15” long. This massive wound cavity results in the animal dropping fast since most go into shock after such a tremendous blow.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by boliep

Keep it simple.

If Partitions will shoot good groups with your rifle go with them and worry about other things.

But, they won’t & never have in any of my rifles.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Boise
I have never found a rifle that shoots Partitions exceptionally well. In my experience I find them to be one of the least accurate bullets.

Same here.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Rifles are funny things I guess. I've never had one that didn't shoot partitions MOA or better.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Rifles are funny things I guess. I've never had one that didn't shoot partitions MOA or better.

Whatever the magic potion is, I don’t have it. If I did I would likely shoot nothing but PT’s.

Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Life was so much simpler when you went to the store and bought whatever was on the shelf and went out and shot a deer. And yes put me into the Interlock and partition camp. Especially like the partitions in 25 cal.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
200gr Accubond .338 Win 100 yds Oryx hard quartering towards shot entered on shoulder and found bullet under hide in front of off side hip retained weight 130 gr also shot 2 large hogs with same and didn't recover the bullets just the hogs...I'm sold

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice.......love those accubonds and I've had very similar performance and retention with the 7mm 140's and 160's. Great pics.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful rifle, too!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a total of one rifle that will shoot the partitions to MOA or better. Other than that, the majority get either the Accubond or Accubond LR put through them. Quarter to fifty-cent size exit holes. I've only caught one, that one after going through about 5 feet of an elk. It still broke through the pelvis and the off-side shoulder. Found it in the meat on the outside of the off-side shoulder. The one's that aren't using the AB are shooting Sierra Game Kings in various flavors. Oh, and the bonded solid base in only 2 rifles.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

430 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,655
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.