Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm just the opposite. Partitions seem to always shoot well while Accubonds are my nemesis. That's only a few rifles, but they are all the same. I really want Abs to shoot well. Then I get fed up and load up some TTSXs and they shoot lights out with no effort whatsoever...

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Choose a bullet for the game you are shooting. I started shooting whitetail deer with a 270 in 1980. I shot standard cup and core bullets in 130 grain. Those bullets were all too hard and gave no expansion unless they were put through the bones of both shoulders. They left small exit holes which sealed up with fat and left no blood trails when punched through the chest. I soon tired of looking for my deer and switched to 130 ballistic tips. Every deer I shot from then on were DRT. Now I have killed a ton of whitetails and a few pronghorn with ballistic tips, 130 grain in 270, 100 grain in 25-06, 95 grain in 243, and 140 grain in 7 Rem Mag. Only recovered one 95 grain from a buck my son shot end to end as it was facing him. Also shot a lot of hogs with the same and none of them complained.

I did try the 120 Ballistic Tips in the 7 Mag and was none to impressed. Those did not expand. I learned they were given thicker jackets for some reason (was told per request of metallic silhouette shooters). But the 120 grain V-Max and the 140 Ballistic Tips performed wonderfully. The only experience I had with blood shot ruined meat from a ballistic tip was with the 55 grain out of a 220 Swift. Stopped using those for deer and switched to the 63 grain Sierra which performs perfectly.

Now that I live in elk and mule deer country I have loaded 160 Partitions in the 7 Rem Mag. I used it on a big bull buffalo in 2010 and was very impressed with it. It ought to work on elk. I switched my 270 load to the 130 accubonds for mule deer and I have the 54 cal muzzleloader ready as well. If I draw an antelope tag the 25-06 and 243 with ballistic tips are good to go as is the 50 cal muzzleloader. Looking forward to giving them a go.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by RJY66
The SC DNR did a study on a large South Carolina plantation about deer rifles and bullets.....its been out a while. The conclusion was that standard soft points and ballistic tip type bullets were more likely to kill instantly as well as making deer easier to find when they ran compared to "penetrating premium bullets". Keep in mind that these are guys shooting from stands over looking food plots or roads as is common in the South. Also, the deer are going to run small compared to the north and midwest.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/articlegad.html

I hunt deer in the same conditions and I agree that fast expanding bullets like ballistic tips and Bergers tend to put deer down quicker than the tougher bullets like Barnes and Partitions. However, there's no free lunch, everything comes with a price and after shooting truckloads of deer with ballistic tips I now shoot Barnes TTSX's. The ballistic tips were great until they weren't and I had a few blow ups on bone resulting in long tracking jobs and a bit of gruesomeness. 98% of the time they work great and a deer lying in it's footprints is always easier to find than one that runs a few yards. The TTSX shot deer tend to run a little bit but the results are more predictable, they always penetrate and the deer always die. I don't worry about shot angle nearly as much anymore.

Nothing's perfect, but I've come to prefer bullets that hold together better and penetrate at any angle at any velocity instead of the quicker expanding ones. Berger makes great bullets but I always get a chuckle at the claim that they "penetrate a couple of inches then expand". Basically that means "they're a grenade" and it's presented as if they were designed that way when really it's the byproduct of a target bullet design with a bit of hollow airspace behind the meplat. Bullets that grenade kill quickly and I shoot a lot of bergers for fun, no doubt they account for a lot of game but I just prefer bullets to hold together better.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Crow hunter,

It doesn't sound like you've actually used Bergers on deer. Is that correct?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone use the 115gr 6mm Berger Hunting on game yet?

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by RJY66
The SC DNR did a study on a large South Carolina plantation about deer rifles and bullets.....its been out a while. The conclusion was that standard soft points and ballistic tip type bullets were more likely to kill instantly as well as making deer easier to find when they ran compared to "penetrating premium bullets". Keep in mind that these are guys shooting from stands over looking food plots or roads as is common in the South. Also, the deer are going to run small compared to the north and midwest.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/articlegad.html

I hunt deer in the same conditions and I agree that fast expanding bullets like ballistic tips and Bergers tend to put deer down quicker than the tougher bullets like Barnes and Partitions. However, there's no free lunch, everything comes with a price and after shooting truckloads of deer with ballistic tips I now shoot Barnes TTSX's. The ballistic tips were great until they weren't and I had a few blow ups on bone resulting in long tracking jobs and a bit of gruesomeness. 98% of the time they work great and a deer lying in it's footprints is always easier to find than one that runs a few yards. The TTSX shot deer tend to run a little bit but the results are more predictable, they always penetrate and the deer always die. I don't worry about shot angle nearly as much anymore.

Nothing's perfect, but I've come to prefer bullets that hold together better and penetrate at any angle at any velocity instead of the quicker expanding ones. Berger makes great bullets but I always get a chuckle at the claim that they "penetrate a couple of inches then expand". Basically that means "they're a grenade" and it's presented as if they were designed that way when really it's the byproduct of a target bullet design with a bit of hollow airspace behind the meplat. Bullets that grenade kill quickly and I shoot a lot of bergers for fun, no doubt they account for a lot of game but I just prefer bullets to hold together better.

Remember the following: lung shots on deer. The story about the Berger VLD is not only told by the Berger's advertisements, but in hunting articles. As I mentioned before I hunt moose in Alaska where I live, and like you use bullets that hold together. I use the .338-caliber 225-grain TTS-X, although I have also used the 250-grain Partition, 250-grain A-Frame, and the 230-grain FS (not longer produced).

I don't know anything about deer hunting, other than most hunters not wanting for a bullet to pencil through deer, thus my reason for bringing up the Berger bullet.

Last edited by Ray; 03/13/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Rifles are funny things I guess. I've never had one that didn't shoot partitions MOA or better.

Funny things yes but stuff seems to trend for folks. I have only dabbled with partitions because of initial poor groups. Go figure.

EFW gifted me all sorts of 6mm bullets and all was hit an miss including partitions, nbt and Speer of various weights.

Sierra's, as crazy as it sounds, light or heavy, hp, bt or flat base, all seem to just shoot better than other stuff. Even different weights in the same rifle. heavy f twist.

I know I am counter culture in this regard and because I load mild.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JJWise
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I have always been a fan of Hornady Interlocks on deer. I killed over 150 white-tails with 100-grain Interlocks from my 6mm, right at 3000 fps and some more using a .308. .243, .260 and now 6.5 cm.. I killed a couple elk with 175 Interlocks, from my 7 mag, but switched to 160 Partitions and never looked back. It is your money, but unless you are planning to push them over 3000 fps, I would not consider a premium as necessary on deer. I have shot them at all angles and all ranges out to 450 or so, and have never had an issue with Interlocks not doing their jobs, or tearing up too much meat. Meat is not an issue, anyway, unless you shoot them through the hind quarters. I have rarely lost all of the meat off the front, by shooting the through the shoulders and lung shots are irrelevant, as there is nothing there anyway.

Another plus to the Interlocks, is that you can get them cheap and I have never once had a rifle that would not shoot them. I will NEVER shoot another SST. I had 150-grainers from a short .308 dynamite on small white-tail does and that was enough for me. I think that they are the worst bullet that Hornady makes, but they do shoot accurately, just like all Hornadys have for me..

I do like the interlocks, currently I have 150gr and 165gr Interlocks and 180gr SSTs in .308, also 130gr and 140gr Interlocks, along with 130gr Ballistic Tips in .277. In my 270, 130gr bullets are usually right around 3,000fps. In my 308 and 30-06 I have velocities all over the place depending on the individual load, but nothing I’ve seen faster than 2850. Plan on taking the 270 and 308 out west with me.

++++++++ on the interlocks, 165gr here

J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
I have always been a fan of Hornady Interlocks on deer. I killed over 150 white-tails with 100-grain Interlocks from my 6mm, right at 3000 fps and some more using a .308. .243, .260 and now 6.5 cm.. I killed a couple elk with 175 Interlocks, from my 7 mag, but switched to 160 Partitions and never looked back. It is your money, but unless you are planning to push them over 3000 fps, I would not consider a premium as necessary on deer. I have shot them at all angles and all ranges out to 450 or so, and have never had an issue with Interlocks not doing their jobs, or tearing up too much meat. Meat is not an issue, anyway, unless you shoot them through the hind quarters. I have rarely lost all of the meat off the front, by shooting the through the shoulders and lung shots are irrelevant, as there is nothing there anyway.

Another plus to the Interlocks, is that you can get them cheap and I have never once had a rifle that would not shoot them. I will NEVER shoot another SST. I had 150-grainers from a short .308 dynamite on small white-tail does and that was enough for me. I think that they are the worst bullet that Hornady makes, but they do shoot accurately, just like all Hornadys have for me..

I do like the interlocks, currently I have 150gr and 165gr Interlocks and 180gr SSTs in .308, also 130gr and 140gr Interlocks, along with 130gr Ballistic Tips in .277. In my 270, 130gr bullets are usually right around 3,000fps. In my 308 and 30-06 I have velocities all over the place depending on the individual load, but nothing I’ve seen faster than 2850. Plan on taking the 270 and 308 out west with me.

I went to the range today, took some hand loaded 308 with 150s and 165s and different amounts of Varget to push ‘em. Most of the groups were consistently about 1MOA but I did get one group of just under .5MOA with the 150gr Interlocks and 46gr of Varget. That loads a keeper. I’m hoping the 270 will find a load it likes with the Ballistic Tips.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
"Sierra's, as crazy as it sounds, light or heavy, hp, bt or flat base, all seem to just shoot better than other stuff. Even different weights in the same rifle. heavy f twist. "

It's all I have been using since I started handloading.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

I went to the range today, took some hand loaded 308 with 150s and 165s and different amounts of Varget to push ‘em. Most of the groups were consistently about 1MOA but I did get one group of just under .5MOA with the 150gr Interlocks and 46gr of Varget. That loads a keeper. I’m hoping the 270 will find a load it likes with the Ballistic Tips.

That is a good load, but I settled on CFE223, in the .308, with the 150s and I will never go back to Varget, Re 15 etc. for that bullet.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,668
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.