Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Thumos Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I would like to get other's opinion on a hunt and the actions I should or should not be taking. I'm going to try and keep this anonymous because I am not looking to badmouth any outfitter or guide. I am only asking for the opinion of more experienced guides/hunters on how this situation should be handled and see if perhaps I am looking at it wrong. August 2017 I went on a sheep hunt with a lifelong friend of mine. The hunt was paid for by me as a wedding gift to my friend. Long story short we both killed sheep but weeks later we were informed that my friend's sheep was not a legal ram due to being 7 years old. Mine was legal. I will say that at the conclusion of my hunt we were both satisfied, gave a good tip, etc. After tagging out there seemed to be no doubts at the whether or not the sheep was legal. Camp attitudes seemed happy all round. I mention that because after the fact, the outfitter seemed to indicate to the trooper that he had his doubts once he saw the horns in camp. That rubbed me the wrong way. Anyway, the outfitter's initial plan was to see if he could buy the horns back in an auction so that we could get them. I see his point there because we paid for a sheep hunt, went on one, shot one, and could have the horns if they came to auction. From my viewpoint- I paid to have a guide because I am not a resident and it is the law and its also the law to shoot a legal ram. Which is not what happened. In NO way at any point did I or my hunting partner pressure a shot or express dissatisfaction with any aspect of the hunt. We are great guys to have in camp and we do what we are told so it isn't like the guide was getting direct pressure to make a quick call as to shoot or not. In fact, the ram in question was located on the first day, looked at for a long time by another guide who couldn't say with certainty he was a shooter then that same guide was with me a few days later when we glassed them for about an hour and even though the younger ram was the bigger I told the guide that I wanted to kill the oldest of the two and so I shot my ram. Two days later my partner was with the his guide and was given the green light to shoot. At first we were told things, "Would be made right." The outfitter's idea of that seemed to be getting us the horns by buying them at auction and then getting another cape since that one was confiscated. Honestly that left a bitter taste in our mouth. I feel like I paid for once was truly a once in a lifetime hunt for my friend and yea, it's about the experience, but I paid for a chance at a legal ram and that isn't what was delivered. It was not the last day of the hunt so he still could have located another ram and had an opportunity. Regardless, we agreed to wait for months until this auction would happen. Well it just came and went and the horns were not there. Then we were told that another auction will be occurring soon and to wait on it. That's really stretching my patience as we are now 6 months in and no resolution but I am trying to give every benefit of the doubt and be agreeable. Just today my partner was sent a text by the guide saying that the horns will not be in the upcoming auction. Here is my question. Is it reasonable to ask for a refund or partial refund at this point? I feel like it is. I understand the outfitter has the same cost whether we see nothing and hunt hard for 10 days or if I killed a world record. That's part of hunting. This was not a trophy area but it was real wilderness and tough hunting. That part I am satisfied with but that fact remains that is the guides responsibility to make the call to shoot. I respect his authority in that role and I feel like in this scenario we did not get what we paid for. I don't expect a full refund because I am not looking to hurt the outfitter financially but I feel my gift to my friend was tarnished along with the memory of the hunt and to me getting half the cost of the hunt back would seem fair. Obviously my partner would not have tipped the guide who told him to shoot an illegal ram so that is another expense that I am not asking for that was part of the overall cost not to mention travel, time off work, etc. There were other minor problems with the guide but I am not picky or one to complain. Again, I am not typing this to whine. I want your thoughts as to whether or not I am out of line to ask the outfitter for a 50% refund. Not of both hunts but just my partners.

Thanks for reading a long post.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That's a bad deal, IMO. I don't think you are out of line for asking for a partial refund.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There something like 3 tests that ADF&G uses to determine full curl. I think you're saying that the ram didn't pass any of these tests, but would have been legal it was 7.5 yrs old.

It would suck to not have been present when ADF&G actually inspected/measured the ram. At a minimum, I'd want him to cover the fine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The tickets that come with under-age/size sheep kills are not free. Who paid those?

I see no problem with asking for ALL your money back for your friend. The guide has consequences atop yours and his was probably spendy.

Judging sheep for age as a test of legal status is ridiculous and it sounds like the guide does this routinely.

Do you have pictures of the sheep you can post?

It is technically against the law to purchase trophies at the auctions from critters you had confiscated from you. It is illegal for you to possess a trophy you took illegally.

Lots of those get used in various ways by ADF&G, like displays to help people understand how to judge a legal sheep, head mounts for schools, and such. I cleaned one up after splitting for the Anchorage office to show what the annuli look like inside the horn.

This is a link to the best piece they put out on judging sheep after the fact...
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/...eep_horns_under_full_curl_regulation.pdf

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ever heard of a paragraph?

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Also you can go to this link for information about what the guide was charged with and how much he had to pay. If you find he has a history of this sort of thing you will have much better standing...

https://records.courts.alaska.gov/eaccess/search.page.3.1?x=2Z6KmwhOxa4LSlj1C55ACQ

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Well, yes I have, obviously!

wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ah course. It's too of them longnnecked leaf eatin thingamagigs. But what does that matter? wink

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kellory

Ah course. It's too of them longnnecked leaf eatin thingamagigs. But what does that matter? wink

U sur it ain't 2 them long neck spotted critters from afrika?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Absolutely - it is the GUIDES responsibility and JOB to judge which animal for his clients to pursue/shoot. Otherwise, why bother having a guide? Ask for half back of the total. You will get NOTHING, but you should ask.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B3

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I wanna see some pictures as well.
Ask for your refund. Then run from that guy like crazy. Help
Others so they don’t end up in the same boat as you guys.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Sorry but i am sick of people pushing the envelope and shooting marginsl sheep. Please sue the guide in small claims court for the hunt. He needs to get a clue and hunt legal sheep.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sollybug
Sorry but i am sick of people pushing the envelope and shooting marginsl sheep. Please sue the guide in small claims court for the hunt. He needs to get a clue and hunt legal sheep.....

Agree completely and from the description one would get the idea they were looking for sheep legal by virtue of age, only...

Would be curious where the hunt took place.

T
Thumos Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thank you all for your input. My partner talked to the guide last night and they are going to give us the refund.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Where are the pictures ?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Thumos
Thank you all for your input. My partner talked to the guide last night and they are going to give us the refund.

How much did you ask for?

How much did you get?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kazijoy
Where are the pictures ?

+1

T
Thumos Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Asked for 50% and that is what they gave us. We also got offered to do another hunt at a reduced price but have not made that decision yet. I'll try to get pictures but I will have to do that at work which will be next week.

Sitka- I tried to PM you but you private message box was full.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Asked for 50% and that is what they gave us. We also got offered to do another hunt at a reduced price but have not made that decision yet. I'll try to get pictures but I will have to do that at work which will be next week.

Seems, at first blush anyway, that accepting such an offer might be giving tacit approval to their methods and the way they operate. Perhaps they made a simple mistake; perhaps they do this one a somewhat regular basis. I certainly think I'd look into their history before agreeing to accept further associations with them.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Sorry about that, just made space a few days ago and it filled right back up on me..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Seems, at first blush anyway, that accepting such an offer might be giving tacit approval to their methods and the way they operate. Perhaps they made a simple mistake; perhaps they do this one a somewhat regular basis. I certainly think I'd look into their history before agreeing to accept further associations with them.

In a way I agree, certainly returning would and that is not a good place to be. I suspect the Troopers keep a close eye on anyone they suspect is running too close to the edge...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Sorry about that, just made space a few days ago and it filled right back up on me..

Well ain’t chu jusda belle a da ball?

😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Well ain’t chu jusda belle a da ball?

😁

No just an [bleep] everyone asks for advice..

wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
To be fair, not everyone was asking advice... most were laughing at another zihn decantation...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

In a way I agree, certainly returning would and that is not a good place to be. I suspect the Troopers keep a close eye on anyone they suspect is running too close to the edge...

If this happened with any regularity to a particular outfitter, how long before they'd pull his license?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole

If this happened with any regularity to a particular outfitter, how long before they'd pull his license?

Pretty quickly... judges will suspend bad performers pretty quick, which is why I linked the site to check for that... but there really aren't that many examples to say what quickly means.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With this sheep tag I got I hit up all my buds that been sheep hunting for yrs to help judge and sure in the hell not trying to count rings. Sitka almost sent you a pm and pulled you out of retirement 😁

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Outfitter/guide got away to easy with only a 50% refund. You paid for a service, their knowledge, and they failed getting your buddy in some hot water and otherwise destroying a memorable experience.At the very least there should be payment made for the trips total expense. From leaving home to returning with associated expenses. If I was a judge or a member of a jury I'd give you all of that plus extra for mental duress.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sent you a PM...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stevevan1
Outfitter/guide got away to easy with only a 50% refund. You paid for a service, their knowledge, and they failed getting your buddy in some hot water and otherwise destroying a memorable experience.At the very least there should be payment made for the trips total expense. From leaving home to returning with associated expenses. If I was a judge or a member of a jury I'd give you all of that plus extra for mental duress.

I agree, but need a more complete understanding of the guide's MO to truly comment...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
This is just my personal opinion and more knowledge of the situation may be revealing, but...

The guy behind the gun has the final responsibility for pulling the trigger and having some
knowledge of what he is embarking on.
I don't think the guide service needs to be skinned alive, but does share probably half of the blame.

More specifics may change the whole scenario.
Tiim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Absolutely. I also wonder what responsibility the state of Alaska has for issuing him a guide license and then forcing non-residents to hire him.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
This is just my personal opinion and more knowledge of the situation may be revealing, but...

The guy behind the gun has the final responsibility for pulling the trigger and having some
knowledge of what he is embarking on.
I don't think the guide service needs to be skinned alive, but does share probably half of the blame.

More specifics may change the whole scenario.
Tiim

Marginal sheep are very hard to judge and it is obvious they knew the sheep was not big enough to be legal. The other side of the legal coin is 8 years of age makes them legal, regardless the curl. The guide chose to put them on sheep and have them shoot based on age.

BW shot a sheep here and when we brought it into ADF&G they aged the two horns at two different ages! In hand they could not tell!

They say you should not shoot rams based on age because it is too hard to tell at distance. They are also prone to growing false annual rings if they get hurt.

They are also required to use a guide... A guide the State sets rigid guidelines on to ensure people get what they pay for.

Does any of that make you want to put a greater part of the blame on the guide?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Absolutely. I also wonder what responsibility the state of Alaska has for issuing him a guide license and then forcing non-residents to hire him.

Probably none based on the required guide-client contract...

The State will not even refund money for licenses and tags if they close seasons and that sort of thing...

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
A lot of WOW going on in this thread. Mistakes happen, but some things don't seem on the up and up.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
pictures ?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The best decisions are made with the most information.
This is one occasion where I and others have jumped in with our 2 cents with minimal knowledge.

When everyone shares the all the information, it is usual to share a common opinion of resolution.
At least it worked that way in manufacturing for 40 years.

Still more to know here, but I retract my comments on grounds of insufficient evidence on my part.

It is between the players here to come to resolution.
Again just my opinion.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As one who's gone on a guided sheep hunt, I was going to comment on your previous post. Learning to judge sheep at spotting scope distances is not easy unless you do it a lot, so if it was up to the average guided hunter from the lower 48, very very few could do it with rams that were close. So if it truly was the hunter's responsibility that would make for a lot of problems.

A big part of what I was paying the guide for (besides putting me on a legal ram) was that experience and knowledge. And I'm 100% certain that he wouldn't have deferred to my judgment on calling a legal ram because 1) I'm not qualified to make that call; and 2) it's his job to make that call. And from what I could tell, it's something that most guides take a lot of pride in.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've been on 4 guided sheep hunts. It is absolutely the responsibility of your guide to make the call whether a ram is legal or not. If the guide made the call (which it seems he did by the ops testimony) than the problem is his and his alone. It's different when hunting unguided, then yes it is the guy behind the trigger who takes the responsibility. This is a commercial service you paid for (lots of money to hunt sheep) and not someone who was just there as a volunteer. Mistake(?) these guys are paid not to make a mistake. Much like a doctor who botches up a surgery, as such the need for malpractice insurance. Get back in full what you're due and don't be shy. You were in a business scenario and were damaged by said guides (mistake?).

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just MY opinion again.
I have never had a guide make a call for me--- to shoot ----or not to shoot.
BUT if I had I would expect to share some of the responsibility.

On a tough decision (as this is being labeled) I would be on my spotting scope also and had some conversation before shooting. I may
also go with the guides opinion, and he may be wrong. Sort it out from there.

I have always wanted to go on a sheep hunt myself, but $ and age have now taken that dream away from me.

I do feel for these guys for the end result of a dream.
Tim

Albert Einstein

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The guide is not "making the call" for you, you are free to hold out for a bigger ram.

The guide is confirming whether the ram is legal, which is his responsibility and his job. If he makes a mistake it could cost him his license, and will certainly diminish his reputation. A guide depends on his reputation.

If a guide makes the determination that a ram is legal, the hunter paying his fee should never have to second guess that.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ya, the guides reputation is now chit and it should cost him his license. Referring back to the op's words. He wasn't "trophy" hunting but was in an area legally bound to only take a legal ram as determined by regulations which constitute a legal ram for the hunt unit. It is the guides duty to know these criteria and how to determine such criteria.The PAID guide told him the ram was legal by regulation (HIS JOB) and told the client the ram met the lawful criteria for harvest and the client could do so if he wanted to shoot that ram. Evidently the client was satisfied to try for that ram. The hunter took the shot based on that determination of the guide. Soooo, it's the guides responsibilty in its totality. You pay those big$ to these outfitter/guides to see that you keep out of trouble as they are the ones who are the "professionals". The guide made the wrong call and should be held accountable. Hence, client needs to be reimbursed as a remedy in the least.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The guide is not "making the call" for you, you are free to hold out for a bigger ram.

The guide is confirming whether the ram is legal, which is his responsibility and his job. If he makes a mistake it could cost him his license, and will certainly diminish his reputation. A guide depends on his reputation.

If a guide makes the determination that a ram is legal, the hunter paying his fee should never have to second guess that.

Stories like this one make me laugh. The law requiring a guide for nonresidents is BS.

Where are the pictures of this sheep?

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's not a "story" it's an opinion and as far as pictures you're asking the wrong person.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
That's not a "story" it's an opinion and as far as pictures you're asking the wrong person.

Sorry Smoke, wasn't referring to your opinion with mine there. Just quoted you because I agree with your assessment that the hunter is ultimately responsible.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Get a lawyer and take him to court. That will result in the only opinion that counts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have a dog in this fight at all, but would just offer that of the last dozen full-curl rams I have seen photos of, I would say none of them appeared to me to be full curl, as in "...tip of at least one horn has grown through 360 degrees of a circle..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The problem with minimum horn and antler restrictions is the only way to be 100% sure that an illegal animal isn't taken, is you never take a shot. But we know that isn't going to happen. We also no every hunter goes out with the intent to kill an animal. So that leaves a degree of pressure on guides to deliver the goods. If a guide's success rate is too low he'll get negative reviews about his inability to get clients on legal animals or that he tells clients not to shoot legal animals. On the flip side are guides that are too anxious to have clients punch tags.

It's a system that unfortunately is going to lead to illegal animals being taken by mistake or intention, as well as dissatisfied clients.

Either we go back to a 3/4 curl rule, an any ram rule and drastically reduce the number of tags available or we live with the imperfect system we have.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a client in Africa hunting many of the plains game with me. He told me of his past hunting in the states.

He bought an auction tag for bighorn in Alberta. He spent an entire middle class life's income on that tag. Over 1 m bucks as it was told to me. He was able to hunt in a park with this special tag and told his guide he would not shoot a ram unless it was the new world record. He hunted every day of the season and finished the hunt without a sheep. None were found that would 100% break the existing record.

The next year he won this tag again, got it for less money as many of the high rollers knew he was in it and they would never outbid him. He again planned on hunting every day of the season or until he killed a new world record. He did shoot a ram after two whole seasons and viewing countless trophies. Unfortunately it missed the new world record by a slim margin. At the point of my meeting him he had not yet entered it into SCI or B&C and said he probably would not since it was not what he had hoped to do. He held no bad feelings for the guide, it was a difficult decision on a very complicated to judge trophy.

The point is, Judging game is easy for many species that have a gender legal status or points with antlers. However many are complicated. I was the best of friends with Duncan Gilchrist for much of my life. He was my hunting mentor and truly one of the greatest outdoorsman to ever have walked the earth. He was also a sheep Fanatic traveling the world to see and film the greatest sheep on earth. He had plenty of horns in his show room and studied them like a religion. Authorities would call and visit him for insight and advice, he taught sheep judging seminars for the FNAWS organisation. I would have never been a great sheep guide with the laws today. I would have had my hunters shoot great big rams or none at all. There is an area of difficulty on the legal or not status of sheep ( and goats) that might just be one of the greatest challenges of trophy judging of almost any big game I can think of.

It's easy to see a big one is legal and a small one is not. However the closer you get to that narrow gap between them the more likely the odds of trouble. It's especially difficult with tired anxious clients and the unimaginable desire of a hard working guide to be successful. ( speaking from plenty of first hand experience here). In reading this, I see the typical and expected negative comments, many could be a perfect bullseye into the capability of the guide. However, that old add-age of walking in somebody else's shoes stands here.

I had an elderly hunter with me 30 years ago in Alaska hunting goat with me. By the middle of the hunt he was cramped sore, blistered and beaten. It was going to be his last mountain hunt and he wanted a big billy in the worst way. With only a couple days left in the hunt we moved to another ridge. I wondered at that time, would I be able to get him back to the lower elevations for the ride out, before he dies on me! Each evening he expressed his gratitude to me and how important this was. Going so far as to say this was worth it to him even if he dies up here trying to manage this hunt. Sarcastic or not it was troubling. However who was I to deny this gentleman the experience of his life, and he chose to do this with me!

The first morning hunt after the ridge change we see an extraordinary billy at 400-500 yards but we are in the path of a wind current that makes it difficult to stand much less shoot. We can close the gap and get around the corner out of the wind with about another 45 min hike. About this time we are settling in and he is catching his breath. He sets up for the shot and after 10minutes says to me " can you just shoot him for me, I cannot hold this gun steady my crosshairs are all over"

I said no, he needed to rest more or calm down and we will have time to wait it out they are bedded. After 30 min he still says he cannot hold the gun steady, I can see his hands trembling. However he now starts in with this being the greatest hunting experience of his life and he is just looking around the snow covered peaks in awe. He has stopped hunting now, its over....... He is talking about the wonders of earth and the beauty of the mountains, and how grateful he was to me for getting him up here.

I suggested to him that he is very calm now, (like he is getting ready for the last goodbye on earth from his mood and commentary). I said just relax and look through the scope, don't even plan to shoot just have a nice look at the big billy to see him. Enjoy this successful stalk and hunt. About 3-4 minutes go by and he says, I think I may be able to shoot! He then said to me "when I shoot will you follow up to make sure we don't lose him". I told him I would try to help anchor the goat if it was hit and in jeopardy of falling off the ledge and we would lose him. The time it took him to pull the trigger seemed forever!

He finally shot at that goat which stood up at the shot and looked back over his shoulder, I fired a shot and that bugger ran up the hill 20 feet reared up and rolled back down. The gentleman hunter was crying, tears rolling down his cheeks. Probably one of the most meaningful and satisfying moments of my whole career up to that point, and few have equaled it since. Maybe also the greatest moment of his life. This is the situation a great respectful and successful guide or professional hunter is up against seasonally. I tend to reflect on this during every hunt since that one. Just how important my roll is in the success and happiness of the client hunter. We as guides and PH's have a desire to win and make the hunt perfectly successful and safe that mere mortals do not understand. The only thing that comes close is that feeling as your kids get old enough to shoot something where you feel more excitement, and happiness for them to shoot their first big game than when you yourself do it. Now imagine that feeling 20 times a year for 30 years or more!

Nobody does this job for the money, it's for the rush, the high, the extraordinary feeling of having a superpower that creates more joy for a man who has created a gigantic successful business worth millions or even billions of dollars, or surgeons that have saved dozens of lives, Athletes that have achieved celebrity status that is astonishing, and you just provided that person with more excitement and happiness than his enormous success or anything else in his life!

This is the underlying part of the choice to shoot at times with complexity and stress, not to mention the haze in a scope, or seeing through the intermittent fog in between you and that last chance trophy. that might be difficult for many folks to understand!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice post JJ.
I think there is always more to the story........

Albert Einstein

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I had a client in Africa hunting many of the plains game with me. He told me of his past hunting in the states.

He bought an auction tag for bighorn in Alberta. He spent an entire middle class life's income on that tag. Over 1 m bucks as it was told to me. He was able to hunt in a park with this special tag and told his guide he would not shoot a ram unless it was the new world record. He hunted every day of the season and finished the hunt without a sheep. None were found that would 100% break the existing record.

The next year he won this tag again, got it for less money as many of the high rollers knew he was in it and they would never outbid him. He again planned on hunting every day of the season or until he killed a new world record. He did shoot a ram after two whole seasons and viewing countless trophies. Unfortunately it missed the new world record by a slim margin. At the point of my meeting him he had not yet entered it into SCI or B&C and said he probably would not since it was not what he had hoped to do. He held no bad feelings for the guide, it was a difficult decision on a very complicated to judge trophy.

The point is, Judging game is easy for many species that have a gender legal status or points with antlers. However many are complicated. I was the best of friends with Duncan Gilchrist for much of my life. He was my hunting mentor and truly one of the greatest outdoorsman to ever have walked the earth. He was also a sheep Fanatic traveling the world to see and film the greatest sheep on earth. He had plenty of horns in his show room and studied them like a religion. Authorities would call and visit him for insight and advice, he taught sheep judging seminars for the FNAWS organisation. I would have never been a great sheep guide with the laws today. I would have had my hunters shoot great big rams or none at all. There is an area of difficulty on the legal or not status of sheep ( and goats) that might just be one of the greatest challenges of trophy judging of almost any big game I can think of.

It's easy to see a big one is legal and a small one is not. However the closer you get to that narrow gap between them the more likely the odds of trouble. It's especially difficult with tired anxious clients and the unimaginable desire of a hard working guide to be successful. ( speaking from plenty of first hand experience here). In reading this, I see the typical and expected negative comments, many could be a perfect bullseye into the capability of the guide. However, that old add-age of walking in somebody else's shoes stands here.

I had an elderly hunter with me 30 years ago in Alaska hunting goat with me. By the middle of the hunt he was cramped sore, blistered and beaten. It was going to be his last mountain hunt and he wanted a big billy in the worst way. With only a couple days left in the hunt we moved to another ridge. I wondered at that time, would I be able to get him back to the lower elevations for the ride out, before he dies on me! Each evening he expressed his gratitude to me and how important this was. Going so far as to say this was worth it to him even if he dies up here trying to manage this hunt. Sarcastic or not it was troubling. However who was I to deny this gentleman the experience of his life, and he chose to do this with me!

The first morning hunt after the ridge change we see an extraordinary billy at 400-500 yards but we are in the path of a wind current that makes it difficult to stand much less shoot. We can close the gap and get around the corner out of the wind with about another 45 min hike. About this time we are settling in and he is catching his breath. He sets up for the shot and after 10minutes says to me " can you just shoot him for me, I cannot hold this gun steady my crosshairs are all over"

I said no, he needed to rest more or calm down and we will have time to wait it out they are bedded. After 30 min he still says he cannot hold the gun steady, I can see his hands trembling. However he now starts in with this being the greatest hunting experience of his life and he is just looking around the snow covered peaks in awe. He has stopped hunting now, its over....... He is talking about the wonders of earth and the beauty of the mountains, and how grateful he was to me for getting him up here.

I suggested to him that he is very calm now, (like he is getting ready for the last goodbye on earth from his mood and commentary). I said just relax and look through the scope, don't even plan to shoot just have a nice look at the big billy to see him. Enjoy this successful stalk and hunt. About 3-4 minutes go by and he says, I think I may be able to shoot! He then said to me "when I shoot will you follow up to make sure we don't lose him". I told him I would try to help anchor the goat if it was hit and in jeopardy of falling off the ledge and we would lose him. The time it took him to pull the trigger seemed forever!

He finally shot at that goat which stood up at the shot and looked back over his shoulder, I fired a shot and that bugger ran up the hill 20 feet reared up and rolled back down. The gentleman hunter was crying, tears rolling down his cheeks. Probably one of the most meaningful and satisfying moments of my whole career up to that point, and few have equaled it since. Maybe also the greatest moment of his life. This is the situation a great respectful and successful guide or professional hunter is up against seasonally. I tend to reflect on this during every hunt since that one. Just how important my roll is in the success and happiness of the client hunter. We as guides and PH's have a desire to win and make the hunt perfectly successful and safe that mere mortals do not understand. The only thing that comes close is that feeling as your kids get old enough to shoot something where you feel more excitement, and happiness for them to shoot their first big game than when you yourself do it. Now imagine that feeling 20 times a year for 30 years or more!

Nobody does this job for the money, it's for the rush, the high, the extraordinary feeling of having a superpower that creates more joy for a man who has created a gigantic successful business worth millions or even billions of dollars, or surgeons that have saved dozens of lives, Athletes that have achieved celebrity status that is astonishing, and you just provided that person with more excitement and happiness than his enormous success or anything else in his life!

This is the underlying part of the choice to shoot at times with complexity and stress, not to mention the haze in a scope, or seeing through the intermittent fog in between you and that last chance trophy. that might be difficult for many folks to understand!

If the guide was using the age to determine a legal ram it simply meant he was sure it was not full curl... In that situation I suspect the wisdom card you have found with age and experience is neither in his deck, nor likely to be...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sometimes you just gotta pass the shot for many reasons...

As a tenderfoot in Alaska, mountain hunting stired something in me that few activities have equaled. I loved watching sheep after long hikes into Chugach state park, went to the sheep seminars, did my homework, etc. I knew that it was a young mans game and being a resident this was my window to hunt sheep and goat being borderline un-affordable as a non-res.

My first sheep hunt I located a group of 3 rams one of which was big but I couldn’t tell if he was legal. I spent the day getting closer as they were bedded down in a recessed rock outcropping, almost like a cave. I finally managed to get within 300 yards of them and still couldn’t tell if he was a full curl. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t try to count rings at one point or another. I hunted that drainage and neighboring drainages the rest of the week, but kept coming back to him. Every time I would lay there for what seemed like hours behind the spotter but never pulled the trigger.

A couple years later did another sheep hunt though had much more skin in the game this time as I chartered an aircraft. Flew in the day before the opener and while ascending out of the tree line spotted a nice legal ram just hours before the opener. I didn’t even think about shooting and spent the rest of the week looking at either fog or the inside of a tent amid driving rain.

I never got a chance to hunt sheep again but I don’t regret not shooting on either of these accounts. Am I the hunting ethics police? Nope, made bad decisions like everyone else. Took some questionable shots like everyone else, some worked out, some didn’t, you just learn and move on. My point in all of this is no matter how bad you want something, sometimes you just have to pass or at least wait a while longer. In my case the mountain gods later yielded me some great opportunities to hunt mountain goats and was lucky to harvest one solo, which captivated my time in AK mountain hunting.

For the original poster I feel horrible, I can’t imagine laying $ equal to a kids college savings and having it turn out that way. A non-res can’t spend the off season looking at, watching sheep, that is where the guide comes in.

Last edited by TomM1; 03/06/18.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Great read, JJ - thank you for sharing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Thumos Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I appreciate those who gave their opinion about my original question. I think we are satisfied with the 50% return. Although I agree that a 100% refund is not unreasonable, like I said before, the outfitter still incurred costs and I know his margins are tight and that both he and the guide are not doing this for money. I am fortunate to be able to afford this hunt, not that it is pocket change by any stretch but I still would feel like I am putting them in a bad spot for taking back all the money. At the end of the day I'd rather sleep with a clear conscience that get a few thousand dollars back. I doubt we will be comfortable going on another hunt with the guide but I appreciate that offer and I think it is one of those deals that just turned out bad for everyone involved. I do not feel that the guide was being grossly negligent. I think he is young and relatively inexperienced and he made a marginal call that came up short.

My intent in posting this was to make sure that I wasn't being a jerk by asking for the 50%. I just wanted the opinion of more experienced people who were looking at it from the outside. As far as all the other comments. I won't attempt to address them all. I will say that as a non resident and someone who has done guided and unguided hunts I feel the guide is ultimately responsible for whether the animal is legal when advising whether or not to shoot. I do think the hunter should question that if they disagree but (especially in this case) that is why I am paying the guide. We were physically able and knowledgable enough to navigate/camps/survive/hunt in a wilderness area. State law and my own inexperience in judging sheep is what prompted me to hire a guide. On the guides end- I can only imagine the pressure they feel. I have what people typically think of as a high stress job but I feel like being a guide for these big dollar hunts would be way more stressful. My hat is off to the guys who are great at it and love it. Because of that maybe I am not being as hard on the guide as it sounds like others would have been.

At the end of the day, even though the ram wasn't deemed legal we came to Alaska, had bad weather, lung busting climbs, put in days without getting a shot and we both ended up making good ethical shots on rams that we stalked. Of course I'm not happy that the ram was deemed too young both for legal as well as conservation/ethical issues but I will never forget when my friend showed back up at camp after a long day and had sheep blood on his hands. I'll always look back on it as him fulfilling a dream in one the last wild places on Earth. I can conjure up the mountains and the wind at a moment's notice and the night sky is just as wonderful whether that ram was a world record or too young. We don't have the horns but we have the memories (good and bad) that before this hunt were only dreams. The grizzly I stalked while it was feeding on blueberries was one of the most awe inspiring moments in nature that I have ever been a part of. I think those are the reasons we all hunt whether we are paying a guide or not and whether or not we take a shot.

Thanks again for the responses.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Well said Thumos.

You are the type of hunter that every guide I know enjoys having in camp.

Josh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've essentially acted as a guide for many friends unfamiliar with our high desert environment, but never taken a cent for my efforts. Also, I've not been faced with making legal/illegal calls. Still I find the pressure to produce almost overwhelming. Have had some hugely frustrating experiences too with some that talk a good story, but could not shoot their way out of a paper bag. Not sure my stomach could handle such if thousands of dollars were involved.

1Minute
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I appreciate those who gave their opinion about my original question. I think we are satisfied with the 50% return. Although I agree that a 100% refund is not unreasonable, like I said before, the outfitter still incurred costs and I know his margins are tight and that both he and the guide are not doing this for money. I am fortunate to be able to afford this hunt, not that it is pocket change by any stretch but I still would feel like I am putting them in a bad spot for taking back all the money. At the end of the day I'd rather sleep with a clear conscience that get a few thousand dollars back. I doubt we will be comfortable going on another hunt with the guide but I appreciate that offer and I think it is one of those deals that just turned out bad for everyone involved. I do not feel that the guide was being grossly negligent. I think he is young and relatively inexperienced and he made a marginal call that came up short.

My intent in posting this was to make sure that I wasn't being a jerk by asking for the 50%. I just wanted the opinion of more experienced people who were looking at it from the outside. As far as all the other comments. I won't attempt to address them all. I will say that as a non resident and someone who has done guided and unguided hunts I feel the guide is ultimately responsible for whether the animal is legal when advising whether or not to shoot. I do think the hunter should question that if they disagree but (especially in this case) that is why I am paying the guide. We were physically able and knowledgable enough to navigate/camps/survive/hunt in a wilderness area. State law and my own inexperience in judging sheep is what prompted me to hire a guide. On the guides end- I can only imagine the pressure they feel. I have what people typically think of as a high stress job but I feel like being a guide for these big dollar hunts would be way more stressful. My hat is off to the guys who are great at it and love it. Because of that maybe I am not being as hard on the guide as it sounds like others would have been.

At the end of the day, even though the ram wasn't deemed legal we came to Alaska, had bad weather, lung busting climbs, put in days without getting a shot and we both ended up making good ethical shots on rams that we stalked. Of course I'm not happy that the ram was deemed too young both for legal as well as conservation/ethical issues but I will never forget when my friend showed back up at camp after a long day and had sheep blood on his hands. I'll always look back on it as him fulfilling a dream in one the last wild places on Earth. I can conjure up the mountains and the wind at a moment's notice and the night sky is just as wonderful whether that ram was a world record or too young. We don't have the horns but we have the memories (good and bad) that before this hunt were only dreams. The grizzly I stalked while it was feeding on blueberries was one of the most awe inspiring moments in nature that I have ever been a part of. I think those are the reasons we all hunt whether we are paying a guide or not and whether or not we take a shot.

Thanks again for the responses.

Good on you, sir. Great attitude and I hope you return for another AK experience. Happy that you managed to enjoy what you had that would have been a bitter pill for some.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep kudos to the OP

Great attitude

You’d be welcome at my fire

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Yep kudos to the OP

Great attitude

You’d be welcome at my fire

+1 on the previous two posts. I hope your next experience up here is much more enjoyable. Also hope the guide learns a valuable lesson from this, and is not just telling you what you want to hear.

Jeff

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A guy I know was guiding a moose hunt in the Brooks Range this summer. His client killed a bull that wasn't even CLOSE to being legal. I know because I hauled it all from the river takeout to the hanging shed. In this case, the guide was the ONLY one cited and I believe, the outfitter is doing the hunt over for free- at least that is what he told me he knew he had to do. I have no idea how this guy screwed up that bad and I didn't have a chance to talk to him about it. I did ask him at SCI what they did to him and it was a fairly small fine and he is on probation.

I think if a guide is the one judging the legality of the animal and he screws that up, he is on the hook for the whole thing. Asking for only 50% is being a real gentleman.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JJ, thank you for the depth of your post. Best read in a long time.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
A guy I know was guiding a moose hunt in the Brooks Range this summer. His client killed a bull that wasn't even CLOSE to being legal. I know because I hauled it all from the river takeout to the hanging shed. In this case, the guide was the ONLY one cited and I believe, the outfitter is doing the hunt over for free- at least that is what he told me he knew he had to do. I have no idea how this guy screwed up that bad and I didn't have a chance to talk to him about it. I did ask him at SCI what they did to him and it was a fairly small fine and he is on probation.

I think if a guide is the one judging the legality of the animal and he screws that up, he is on the hook for the whole thing. Asking for only 50% is being a real gentleman.

This is what happens when an outfitter/registered guide puts an inexperienced assistant guide in the field.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Yup. Always found it interesting when someone books a hunt with so and so the master guide then ends up in the field with a new assistant guide while so and so master guide sits at home checking his Inreach.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
JJHACK - Thank you for that post.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Just MY opinion again.
I have never had a guide make a call for me--- to shoot ----or not to shoot.
BUT if I had I would expect to share some of the responsibility.

On a tough decision (as this is being labeled) I would be on my spotting scope also and had some conversation before shooting. I may
also go with the guides opinion, and he may be wrong. Sort it out from there.

I have always wanted to go on a sheep hunt myself, but $ and age have now taken that dream away from me.

I do feel for these guys for the end result of a dream.
Tim

Your pretty hardcore on a first time sheep hunter! Suppose you went to Africa and had to shoot the different animals by their age and not their horns? Do you know enough to get it right every time? In Africa from what I hear the guides make all the calls, you can't just start shooting at whatever you see.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This probably makes no difference to most folks but I'm kind of curious, was the guide an Alaska resident? The reason I ask is because I've heard stories of NR hunters coming up for a guided hunt, only to be guided by a NR that has very little experience hunting the particular animal and or area that they're hunting. Regardless, I feel that if you hire a guide (especially doing a guided sheep hunt with the extremely high cost that they are), and he tells you a particular animal is legal, giving you the go ahead if that's the animal your happy with taking, and it turns out that the guide is wrong, then he should be the one to pay/reimburse for everything.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
rickt300
"...you can't just start shooting at whatever you see."
Who suggested that anywhere??????
My qoute:
"On a tough decision (as this is being labeled) I would be on my spotting scope also and had some conversation before shooting. I may
also go with the guides opinion, and he may be wrong. Sort it out from there."

Was not stated, but I really doubt I would go against the guide and shoot IF the guide said it was NOT legal.
I also do not think I would shoot IF the guide said it was legal and I (with my limited knowledge) did not think it was.
This wasn't just a rabbit hunt in the back of Grandpa's barn.

But hey. The situation is what it was and has to be dealt with justly by those participating.
We are less than even being spectators.
And as noted above "I do feel for these guys for the end result of a dream."
Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 03/11/18.

Albert Einstein

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The weight of responsibility is on the guide. Amateurs hire pros to make the difficult decisions, and sue them for malpractice when they make a bad decision whether in medicine, law or... IMO the original poster here handled it well and pretty graciously.

I've hunted sheep, thinhorn and bighorn, as a resident.

FWIW I decided that I did not want to play along the edges of legal, and that I would not shoot unless the ram was clearly legal. If it was close, probably legal, I think it is legal, etc. I had settled that quandary before the hunt: I would not shoot. This is no criticism of what others do, merely my over cautious solution for me alone, which sooner or later will result in not shooting a legal ram that the hunter could have shot. Tough decision, I know, given the distance, cost and difficulty of getting a shot at any ram.

I was fortunate to have one of the very fine older guides coach me on how to ID a legal full curl ram and how to know when his head was positioned right to get an accurate look. Uphill, angled, etc. can make a sub-legal ram look legal. On an early hunt, a more experienced partner made the right call on a ram below us that was legal by 1 ¾ inches to spare, when I still had doubts. In the field, a guide would have helped my judgment, no doubt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by USMC2602
JJHACK - Thank you for that post.

JJ, An excellent story, well told. Thanks for your time to share that experience from the guide's perspective.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you folks for the comments, I in no way want to derail this from the original posters issues at hand here. I only felt compelled to suggest some insight into the mental state of a responsible hard working guide doing his darnedest to be successful and earn the respect of his hunters.

Guides and PH's do not make much money when things go perfectly, and they stand to lose everything if they have an issue with the law, or safety that destroys their reputation. Especially with the internet today. I have been in very difficult to decide predicaments countless times where safety concerns have conflicted with a very likely successful trophy just out of reach. These are the moment in a career that will really test your self control and responsibility. Not to mention your ability to judge the capability and mental strength of your clients as well. In most cases this is not a red neck good ole boy type of job. It's as responsible a situation between adults as any life and death professional roll on earth. Of course much depends upon where you do this job too!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
The tickets that come with under-age/size sheep kills are not free. Who paid those?

I see no problem with asking for ALL your money back for your friend. The guide has consequences atop yours and his was probably spendy.

Judging sheep for age as a test of legal status is ridiculous and it sounds like the guide does this routinely.

Do you have pictures of the sheep you can post?

It is technically against the law to purchase trophies at the auctions from critters you had confiscated from you. It is illegal for you to possess a trophy you took illegally.

Lots of those get used in various ways by ADF&G, like displays to help people understand how to judge a legal sheep, head mounts for schools, and such. I cleaned one up after splitting for the Anchorage office to show what the annuli look like inside the horn.

This is a link to the best piece they put out on judging sheep after the fact...
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/...eep_horns_under_full_curl_regulation.pdf

I agree.

You paid for the guides knowledge to put you onto a legal animal

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

He wasn’t hunting in any park in Alberta. Sorry.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There are hunting opportunities on more than 85 per cent of the land base in Alberta's parks system. In parks where hunting is allowed, some activities are restricted in order to

Protect sensitive areas and species
Address public safety and wildlife management issues

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Me too.

I once passed up a ram (only because he was in bad place, but reachable with difficulty, sun was nearly down, last day of a weekend hunt, would have had to spend the night on the mountain without gear. Would have been late for work...Didn't thing the wife with me would have appreciated a night on the mountain.) that I was certain was legal tho he was below me at a not-good angle at about 300 yards, as the horn tips distinctly pointed back. Had no spotting scope, but clear thru the binocs. I judged him legal on that basis and under better circumstances would have tripped the trigger.

I considered getting a better wife....... , but those are hard to come by. smile

Is this "backward pointing tip" a clear indication of legality? I've never seen it mentioned. Often wondered about that.

Last edited by las; 04/01/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (308ld, 35, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 7 invisible), 1,884 guests, and 822 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,740
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.