Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have killed a couple 4 to 6 year-old bulls of note - one on Sept 29, and the last on Nov 1. Both were - shall we say - untasty - due to rut chemicals in their meat. This flavor is carried in the blood, and of course is all through the meat. Probably a combination of adrenaline, testosterone, piss, and who knows what else- definitely has an unpleasant urine plus taste to it. Never did find a way to alleviate it completely, tho making burger out of it and several water rinses of the ground meat reduced it somewhat. Cooking in butter also seemed to help a bit, so maybe a milk or lactose marinade/soak would work. A strong spaghetti sauce made it almost reasonably palatable, tho the wife won't touch it. I believe the Nov.1 kill was out of rut or nearly so, but the rut flavor wasn't quite out of him yet. He was with an enormous adult cow, a yearling cow most likely her offspring, and a smaller bull.

The dog didn't seem to care about the flavor... even raw. Which was mostly the disposal of all that meat. His farts stunk tho....

The other 20 or so that I have killed were taken before Sept 25, and two of those were young 2 or 3 year old bulls that also were slightly rutty tasting- both taken in mid September. Individual animals differ. My theory is that these two were adolescent moose going into their first serious hormonal changes and their timing was all screwed up yet. Other bulls killed of similar age and kill dates were excellent eating.

One large bull that I killed on September 11 was in full rut mode, even tho he was early about it. Swollen neck, pink tongue, nothing in his stomach, came in to raking very aggressively grunting and thrashing to my raking. He also had one side of his antlers that wasn't right - or symmetrical with the other side. For one thing, his brows on that side was just a big, 4 inch diameter, 6 inch long drop tine lump, and his points were almost non-existant, unlike the better side that had typical brows and reasonable points on that palm. I'd last seen him 4 years before, at which time he had moderate palm and tines on one side, but just a single 18 inch long spike on the other, making him legal, but I saw that too late, as he turned and went into the brush.

He was excellent eating! But he hadn't been fighting and getting infected poke holes in him yet either.

A bit of a crap shoot, it would seem.

If you want eating moose, kill one before Sept 25, or after Nov 10, and the odds of good meat go way up. Cows, of course, are good anytime. Killing a bull near or in rut, the odds of good eating (emphasize on "good"!) go way down, in my experience. I'd go (if you do) the Sept 10-19 slot. They will be in pre-rut, and should come to raking and possibly bull grunts - checking out the competition. That's real prime time in my opinion, tho they won't be as responsive to either competition or cow calls as they would be later, during rut.

The local Eskimos (or at least a couple) here in Kotzebue claim that hanging a rutty bull for 10 days or so will eliminate the rutty taste, but I don't think I'm buying it. But maybe - I not having tried it. And I won't.

I will now kill my moose meat well away from rut. Unless I can take a cow.

Last edited by las; 01/22/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Killed lots of deer, elk, caribou, bear a few moose in rut and never experienced a huge change in meat texture flavor if i executed a drt shot, got off hide, cutt off tarsals and not taint meat, cooled down meat quickly allowed to age. I can tell the difference(minimal) between young and old animal.

Now a late season rutted out buck or bull with very low fat content can tell difference but still good eating

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
The Eskimos are right. Hanging meat is always a good idea, as long as you have the weather for it, or access to a walk in cooler. The best beef is hung 21 to 28 days.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 358wsm

I took a good size Nefoundland Bull in mid Oct. That one did Not get aged and although the Flavor was excellent the meat was tuffer than a $2.00 steak. Why..?

Ageing the meat is very important to tenderness. It doesn't affect flavour much, but you're risking tough meat if you don't. One of the challenges of moose hunting is you seldom get to handle the meat in perfect butcher shop fashion. Tough moose is still good, it just needs to be cooked differently.

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Thank you everyone for the feedback by Outfitter had an opening come up for the first week of October. I'm taking it

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 76 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,652
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.