Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Is Aniak in 19? I was kind of a bit amazed at the ammo they had there in the store years ago. But I would not think anything but major there.... as has been noted. I think they had 300 wtby... but everything was mainstream. But dang thankful to see they stocked as much variety as they did, or even had ammo. I"d have been thinking shipped in with you be the safest.

I think I'll just roll my own.
Just wondering, taking stock, of what might be available.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
a MUCH better option IMHO

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not that I don't like suporting local businesses, but most of my reloading supplies are ordered and shipped up, though I generally purchase powder and primers locally. The real bugger can be shipping powder and primer to remote locations, so something to consider.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Perhaps I could do a group buy

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
a MUCH better option IMHO

Thank you Sir

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd think that some dealer up there could figure out how to get a large shipment where folks could buy say 200 pounds of powder each, at a reduced rate, and make some cash! But what do I know.... same would go for primers, bullets etc...

Seems like Canada may screw me from bringing up whatever I want... LOL. And going to have to fly in a few of the guns to boot.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
If I were to do it over I'd just go with the 375 H&H.

I've had two 9.3x62's, one an AHR CZ and the other a Mauser 98 FN. Nice rifles, liked them both, but now just have a SS NH M-70 Classic .375 H&H with flutted 21" barrel an other custom touches.

My thinking, the .375 H&H is about as universal as they come and can be loaded to do anything the 9.3 can do, plus some.

IMO.

DF

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I've had two 9.3x62's, one an AHR CZ and the other a Mauser 98 FN. Nice rifles, liked them both, but now just have a SS NH M-70 Classic .375 H&H with flutted 21" barrel an other custom touches.

My thinking, the .375 H&H is about as universal as they come and can be loaded to do anything the 9.3 can do, plus some.

IMO.

DF

I am listening... grin

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Am I understanding this correctly..?
No powder or primers can be shipped (unless to dealers) from the lower 48.?

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Pretty much. There are ways to pre order through some local gunsmiths, but generally you’ll have to find what you need during your brief visits to town which can be very problematic if components are in short supply. Alaska ammo does do bush orders over the phone which they will ship out to you. I’ve bought some stuff through them and they have been very easy to work with. They don’t have some of the stuff I use, but powder and primers as well as 22lr they usually have.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358wsm

basic problem is much of our freight comes in by air... on planes with passengers aboard. Makes small to medium units problematic.

Orders big enough to have the routes and methods figured out (read as "Barge from Seattle" usually) can be done, but that is a pretty large commitment. Some tried to work their way around that issue and had problems. A shooting that made headlines and was discussed at length here involved guys wanting their money back after the fellow lining things up screwed up and lost the shipment by ignoring the law.

I have contemplated putting together a bulk order a number of times and still may...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Hey.!
Thanks to both of you.!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You can ship, but you'll have to ship to Washington state and then pay another shipper to barge to Anchorage. I ordered 50# of powder from Powder Valley a few years ago. Paid whatever the normal shipping and hazmat is, and another $100+ to get it to Anchorage. It was still cheaper than buying locally, but shipping added over $3/#

So unless you make a large order, it is not practical to ship powder and primers to Alaska

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You can ship, but you'll have to ship to Washington state and then pay another shipper to barge to Anchorage. I ordered 50# of powder from Powder Valley a few years ago. Paid whatever the normal shipping and hazmat is, and another $100+ to get it to Anchorage. It was still cheaper than buying locally, but shipping added over $3/#

So unless you make a large order, it is not practical to ship powder and primers to Alaska

In looking at things a while back, it takes about 500 pounds to make it really make sense... and that was at a time when they could not come close to making a complete order...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was a combination of supplies still being spotty locally and pricing. Getting a several year supply of handgun powder and saving a couple hundred bucks wasn't a bad deal as I wasn't sure how much longer it would be before any handgun powder could be found locally. Ideally if you can get a few friends in on an order getting 8# kegs from powder valley is a way to save a buck.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It was a combination of supplies still being spotty locally and pricing. Getting a several year supply of handgun powder and saving a couple hundred bucks wasn't a bad deal as I wasn't sure how much longer it would be before any handgun powder could be found locally. Ideally if you can get a few friends in on an order getting 8# kegs from powder valley is a way to save a buck.

Yup!

The big problem I had was finding the variety people wanted all at the same time.

I did a bulk order 25-30 years ago and ended up "stuck" with some kegs I really did not want

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
All you have to do in this instance is think WAY ahead...

Its what we did while competitive shooting BEFORE there were shortages. Have powder/primers/bullets, even barrels, for 2 years out.

Made crunch time easier.

How to store stuff in your instance is another thing.

But I'd think getting 8 pounds of powder, 1000 primers, 500 brass, 500 bullets and so on, doing that every year, you'll be just fine.

OTOH having the 375HH you could find ammo on the shelf in a lot of places. But even safer is an 06...

But me... I'd go the wildcat! Just how I am.

RE bulk orders, one has to figure out common powders, assume it will take a year to fulfill the order somewhere, then have it all shipped at once. A shame it can't come up the Al Can.... that would be the easy way to do it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You can't go wrong with JB's tested and proven loads. This has been posted numberous times by me and others. I'm posting it again in case someone missed it.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All you have to do in this instance is think WAY ahead...

Its what we did while competitive shooting BEFORE there were shortages. Have powder/primers/bullets, even barrels, for 2 years out.

Made crunch time easier.

How to store stuff in your instance is another thing.

But I'd think getting 8 pounds of powder, 1000 primers, 500 brass, 500 bullets and so on, doing that every year, you'll be just fine.

OTOH having the 375HH you could find ammo on the shelf in a lot of places. But even safer is an 06...

But me... I'd go the wildcat! Just how I am.

RE bulk orders, one has to figure out common powders, assume it will take a year to fulfill the order somewhere, then have it all shipped at once. A shame it can't come up the Al Can.... that would be the easy way to do it.

That has been the way I have done it repeatedly. There is a limit, but not that bad for a moderate shooter.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

IMO.

DF

I am listening... grin

OK, guess I can pimp the .375 H&H... grin Overly heavy factory barrel chopped and fluted. Balances perfectly and is about the right weight, IMO, for a big gun, carries well, points fast. This is my only big gun, a keeper. Tupperware isn't that cool, but it's tough and you don't have to worry about scratching it. It's a using gun, not a show piece. I did rip out the factory hot glue bedding, Steel Bedded it. Tuned the factory trigger to a perfect 3#. Big scope is a 1.5-6x42 Victory, pushes wt. slightly over 9#'s. Lighter scope, like VX-3 1.5-5x20 will take it slightly under 9#'s. I don't want a .375 H&H much lighter than that... shocked

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 60 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.