Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
OK, so I realize this is Remington we’re talking about, so there’s that. But why did two really good cartridges fail?

Ammo too expensive?

Silly name?

Too much competition at 7mm and 30 cal?

Wrong rifles or twists?

IMHO, the SAUMs have a great blend of performance, balanced case size and configuration, and they both do a very good job of being able to extract a great deal of performance while also coming in at or under recoil-tolerance thresholds much better than their competitors. I like them better in almost every way than the 7mm WSM and 300 WSM and like them better in absolutely every way than the old standby 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag. In fact, I’d say a hunter equipped with an accurate, 22-24” sporter 7 SAUM (if it was popular) would be well-equipped for just about anything. And the case could have been used to create and commercially introduce many more useful variants from .24 - .35 cal.

I feel the combination of very expensive factory ammo and a stupid name did them in. In a time when newer shooters were far more open to common sense in cartridge design and performance (see: 7mm-08 then 6.5 Creedmoor), Remington decides to name a short cartridge an “Ultra Magnum.” I know I really didn’t give it much of a look because of that name.

What does the ‘Fire think?

Remington goes through stages of offering short barreled rifles to hunters. Think of the model 600 in 6.5 Remington magnum, the 788 with 18 1/2 barrel and then the Model 7 .300 SAUM with 20 and 22 inch barrels. Combine a short mag case with short handy barrel and expensive ammo marginally better than a .30-06 and you might be getting close to an answer. Making the SAUM in a larger full size rifle would work but not offer any advantage over existing combinations ......

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
seattlesetters,

They failed because Winchester beat them to the starting gate, with the WSM cartridges that offered a little more powder room and hence velocity. Hunters didn't see any reason to buy rifles chambered for slower short, fat beltless "magnums."

The story I heard through the business was that Remington was offered the concept before Winchester, but turned it down, for whatever reasons, instead designing their own rounds. Winchester introduced the WSM's slightly before the SAUM's, which made it look like Remington was copy-catting, but copy-cat cartridges don't usually sell well if they don't offer velocity gains over the originals. (Witness the Ruger Compact Magnums, introduced several years after the WSM's and SAUM's.)

Of course, now the SAUM case is considered by some to be "better" than the WSM's, especially in short actions, due to offering more room for longer, high-BC bullets. The WSM's and SAUM's appeared over 15 years ago, before the long-range, high-BC trend became really hot. Now the 7mm SAUM necked down to 6.5 is one of the trendy rounds.

Another problem was the .280 Ackley Improved--introduced as a factory round by Nosler--did the same things as the 7mm SAUM in any action suitable for the .30-06--and there are zillions. The .280 AI already had plenty of traction among rifle loonies, so sold better.

Another problem was the 7mm SAUM, as far as factory rounds go, didn't do anything the .270 Winchester didn't. I know this from owning a 7mm SAUM for a number of years, and using it on big game from northern Canada to South Texas.

I should have read to the end prior to posting, John sums it up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SKane,

I've probably killed more big game with the 7mm SAUM than 99% of the people who've owned one. That doesn't mean it wasn't a commercial failure for Remington, the reason it's very difficult to find Remington-brand 7mm SAUM brass: They decided to cut their losses.

JB-
There's no disputing that.
And, I still blame all the 6.5 SAUM guys for drying up the supply of RP brass. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep!

I might just have to put a 6.5 SAUM barrel on one of my actions. That's all I need, another rifle chambered for a yet another 6.5 round....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep!

I might just have to put a 6.5 SAUM barrel on one of my actions. That's all I need, another rifle chambered for a yet another 6.5 round....

Pick an IL action though wink

Any thoughts about the 6.5-280AI ? ( aka Brain FartExpress by DogZapper & Chubb )

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
shaman,

Good try, but the .257 Roberts was introduced by Remington as a commercial cartridge in 1934.

That's okay. I wrote that when I thought y'all were talking Post WWI. I repent all I have written so far in this thread today. However, I would question why you didn't classify the SAUM rounds as AF.

I did manage a 15 minute nap before #2 and #3 sons showed up with their cap n' ball revolvers, looking to do some shooting. We've had a thoroughly nice time. I got to try out my new-to-me Ruger P95. After I'd blew through 6 mags worth, I'm back in. They're still out on the front porch blasting away.

It's our first trip back to camp since early December. Ah! It's great to be back.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SKane,

I've probably killed more big game with the 7mm SAUM than 99% of the people who've owned one. That doesn't mean it wasn't a commercial failure for Remington, the reason it's very difficult to find Remington-brand 7mm SAUM brass: They decided to cut their losses.

It's also why Norma and Nosler started offering 7mm SAUM cases. In fact, whenever the original manufacturer gives up on a cartridge so much that other companies start offering brass, it's sure sign the original company was losing money on it.

MD : Me No Savvy this^ , Could you explain at me a bit ? Are/Were Norma/Nosler making money on SAUM brass ?

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
MD; I believe I would add the 325 WSM to the second list. Both of which are very interesting, by the way!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
338rules,

Selling brass makes far less money than selling rifles, and selling more rifles is the entire point of introducing new cartridges.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mesabikid,

Good catch!

I just fixed that, and classified the .325 AF, even though my friend luv2safari will be along soon to tell me how mistaken I am.

After the other WSM's appeared, the market was primed and ready for a .338 WSM, to the point where a bunch of people had reamers made and put 'em together. But for minor ballistic reasons, the Winchester people decided on the .325 instead, even though American 8mm rounds have never sold very well--and there's no downrange ballistic advantage in the .325 over the the .300 WSM.

Come to think of it, I need to add the 8mm Remington Magnum to the Remington list.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya 8 Mag never did well either. Ol man has a classic 8 Mag, he likes it

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Might as well throw the 6mm in there too John, dunno if anyone even chamber the 6 anymore

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's been there, under .244/6mm.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a cartridge but an ignition system , what in hell was Remington thinking with that Etronx ????

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
SKane,

JB-
There's no disputing that.
And, I still blame all the 6.5 SAUM guys for drying up the supply of RP brass. laugh

We only posted WTB’s - everyone obliged us by selling... grin

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Funny thing is, both of those guys shot sub-moa groups off the bench when sighting in.

Obviously these guys were not recoil shy or they couldn't have done that. Could it have been "buck fever" in the presence of game?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
See my previous post.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
SKane,

It's also why Norma and Nosler started offering 7mm SAUM cases. In fact, whenever the original manufacturer gives up on a cartridge so much that other companies start offering brass, it's sure sign the original company was losing money on it.

Someone once said that the 7mm SAUM was the short action equivalent of the 280AI and no matter how you cut it, it's never a bad thing to be compared favorably to the 280AI.

Never the less, I'm much more likely to pick the CLR in 270 when I go afield than a rifle chambered in either 270 WSM or 7mm SAUM. Sort of a private tribute to JOC.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
SKane,

Someone once said that the 7mm SAUM was the short action equivalent of the 280AI and no matter how you cut it, it's never a bad thing to be compared favorably to the 280AI.

Never the less, I'm much more likely to pick the CLR in 270 when I go afield than a rifle chambered in either 270 WSM or 7mm SAUM. Sort of a private tribute to JOC.

Righteous thinking.

I’m much more likely to pick up a good .270 Winchester than just about anything, also because of the influence and superb writing of the great Jack O’Connor. His thoughts and analysis have shaped my preferences more than anyone or anything.

I’ll always own 6.5s and .270s.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
6mm250,

I was told somebody very close to Remington's management that the main reason for the Etronx electronic- ignition rifles and ammo wasn't really to make money off the rifles/ammo, but to promote the Remington brand through cutting-edge technology. They knew the project probably wouldn't make money, but if created a buzz about Remington they'd be happy.

This sort of name-brand promotion isn't unusual in business. It's often why so many companies release "new and improved" versions of various products just about every year: It keeps the brand in the public eye more efficiently than general advertising.

John Steinbeck
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1234, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,105
Posts18,522,468
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.