Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
358wsm Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
For those folllwing along....

I am moving to AK . I hope to be there in the spring and am making provisions now as to my new life there, most of which will be bush living, living in the cabin and trapping Martin.
I'll be carrying a 22 pistol for dispatch.
I have a 270 WSM tikka T3x and a 6.5x55 in the same for hunting.

However, I want a bit more medicine for early season when the bears are out. The availabilty of the 375 H&H ammo on the shelves, as well I reload, puts the 375 H&H at the top of my list. The 45-70 is near the top, but the limited range has me prefering the 375.

I would like information concerning the Talkeetna for these purposes.

Would those in the know please educate me about this rifle with the Alaskan bush being the setting.

Thank you

Last edited by 358wsm; 03/03/18.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
HR IC

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In my opinion if you trust your life on a kimber your going to lose big time, get anything else!!!!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've read of a few problems with the Kimber in feeding.

Why not go with the 375 H&H like you want but choose a more trusted platform like the CZ 550 or Winchester model 70 or Whitworth,or even an older pre 75- 85 Sako.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...lassics-375-h-h-mag.cfm?gun_id=100998260

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...64-model-70-375-h-h.cfm?gun_id=100995664

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...5-h-h-safari-rifle-.cfm?gun_id=100988889

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...ko-finnbear-375-h-h.cfm?gun_id=100981873

There's lots on Guns International to chose from. I always thought a Sako Mannlicher Carbine in 375 H&H would be cool.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I've read of a few problems with the Kimber in feeding.

Why not go with the 375 H&H like you want but choose a more trusted platform like the CZ 550 or Winchester model 70 or Whitworth,or even an older pre 75- 85 Sako.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...lassics-375-h-h-mag.cfm?gun_id=100998260

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...64-model-70-375-h-h.cfm?gun_id=100995664

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...5-h-h-safari-rifle-.cfm?gun_id=100988889

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...ko-finnbear-375-h-h.cfm?gun_id=100981873

There's lots on Guns International to chose from. I always thought a Sako Mannlicher Carbine in 375 H&H would be cool.
that sounds like good info!

358wsm Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by 358wsm; 03/03/18.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
IC B2

358wsm Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mooshoo
In my opinion if you trust your life on a kimber your going to lose big time, get anything else!!!!

I hear you loud and clear.
Rings like a bell.!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Right ... or a sako that *might* eject into a scope turret, or an M70 that might not have a Williams extractor, or or or ....
It is amazing that anyone trusts their life to ANYTHING less than an Echol’s Legend. In fact, anything less in your hands and you might as well just consider yourself EATEN!!!

Seriously, there are plenty of Talkeetnas and Kodiaks in AK which have served their owners well, killed bears, and not “lost big time.” I think sometimes this stuff gets a bit overblown ... like one time at band camp.

358wsm Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Also curious to know, if a scope such as the earlier (70's era) Leopled M8 3x would give clearance with the possible ejection issues known in regards to the Sako rifles.???

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

What is your experience with Kimber rifles?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
358wsm Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Well he's still posting, so either he survived the bear attack, or the Kimber worked that time. grin

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Right ... or a sako that *might* eject into a scope turret, or an M70 that might not have a Williams extractor, or or or ....
It is amazing that anyone trusts their life to ANYTHING less than an Echol’s Legend. In fact, anything less in your hands and you might as well just consider yourself EATEN!!!

Seriously, there are plenty of Talkeetnas and Kodiaks in AK which have served their owners well, killed bears, and not “lost big time.” I think sometimes this stuff gets a bit overblown ... like one time at band camp.

I would say that is likely an accurate assessment as well.Even if there have been some bad reports,which I have heard,you can find something bad about just about anything if you look enough.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Does hearsay and supposition count?

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Evidentally!

“Factio democratica delenda est"
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Well none of course !

Never hunted anything that bites back either.

BUT he read on the internet that Kimbers often fail and dozens of hunters have been gored/stomped/clawed and otherwise dispatched.

If you don't carry a Magnum Mauser from Holland & Holland your hunting trip will be a one way ticket to some beasts stomach.

Since a Kimber is nothing if not a M 70 clone, how could it possibly be any good ?

I rather like my 6.5 CM Adirondack, although I couldn't take in hunting in the Adirondacks as presently configured.

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ha! Your question about the Talkeetna was "answered" by two guys who've never owned or likely even seen one. About par for the course around this site these days, it seems.

I have a Talkeetna. It shoots ridiculously well. Like a varmint rifle. Never had a problem with feeding in a couple hundred rounds fired.

358wsm Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Ha! Your question about the Talkeetna was "answered" by two guys who've never owned or likely even seen one. About par for the course around this site these days, it seems.

I have a Talkeetna. It shoots ridiculously well. Like a varmint rifle. Never had a problem with feeding in a couple hundred rounds fired.

Experience is no match for arguement alone.

You've got my attention.

358wsm Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jackmountain

No.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

For the record,like it matters,I simply said I had heard of feeding problems. I expect anyone to take that as they should.

Personally,I would love to own one of the Taleketna's if I could find any reason for it. Maybe,looking for Bigfoot. Is a 375 H&H enough for a Bigfoot and might I need more rounds for the rest of his clan?

358wsm Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

For the record,like it matters,I simply said I had heard of feeding problems. I expect anyone to take that as they should.

Personally,I would love to own one of the Taleketna's if I could find any reason for it. Maybe,looking for Bigfoot. Is a 375 H&H enough for a Bigfoot and might I need more rounds for the rest of his clan?

I understood what you said Randy, and I think you straightened it out in your second post implying every rifle can have it's issues.

I am reading and listening carefully these days.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

This was my experience as well. Rumor was some were built with Krieger barrels. Still found the 24” to be a bit long but could never bring myself to chop it. Hands down best factory stock on a 375 still made (the ks/awr mcmillan being the obvious other contender when available.)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (260Remguy, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,422
Posts18,489,130
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.