Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Yikes!!
Bet they spotted the ole fruit of the looms after that, eek

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No kidding......I'm not smart enough to post the video but I thought it was worth posting anyway.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had something similar happen to me but with a red fox in a leg hold trap.

It was late season and the fur was faded out some and not worth much. I pinned its head down with a pitchfork and released its foot. When I pulled the pitchfork up, the fox turned and came at me barking and growling. A bit of quick stepping and a couple ineffectual swings of the pitchfork convinced the fox it had nothing to fear from me if it ran off.

I didn't get bit but it was something I never expected from a fox. I also learned I could do the old soft shoe while wearing Sorrel boots.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I shot a large raccoon out of a tree when I was squirrel hunting when I was a kid. I walked up to it and flipped him over with my boot, he instantly came back to life and I clubbed him with a stick. I skinned him right there and I had only grazed his head and stunned him. If I had grabbed him by his leg with my hand I most likely would of had a trip to the emergency room that day.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I started carrying a little NAA black widow revolver when coyote hunting for just that reason. Its come in handy more times than I would have expected.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I usually look at the eyes. If they are fixed open, the critter is dead. But...I still poke em with the barrel. In my decades of hunting, that approach hasn’t let me down. Yet...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bbassi
I started carrying a little NAA black widow revolver when coyote hunting for just that reason. Its come in handy more times than I would have expected.

S&W M63 for me... don't need it often but when you do it beats a second shot from a rifle or shotgun. Several years back I got careless with a coyote and he got a good hold on my pant leg. I was standing on a rocky, narrow, sharply slanted trail in a clear cut with the spined coyote. Between my reaction to the sudden lunge of the coyote and the actual coyote latched onto my pant, I danged near fell down right beside him. I carefully put the muzzle of the AR between his eyes and proceeded to make a real mess. Familiarity breeds carelessness...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
One of the strangest experiences I ever had with a live critter:

I was at a friend's place and he allows another guy to trap on his small farm. 3 of us were messing around in the machine shed when the trapper pulled up to visit. He said he had snared a coyote and wanted to show us. The coyote was in the back of a pickup with a topper. We all crowded around as he opened the topper and flipped the tailgate down. As he reached for the coyote I remember thinking 'those are awfully bright clear eyes for a dead coyote...' The trapper grabbed the coyote by the tail and the scruff of the neck to swing it out of the truck and the coyote came to life. It hit the ground on its feet and galloped on down the driveway and across the field. It literally brushed my legs as it was leaving. 3 of the 4 of us were carrying handguns on our belt at the time and nobody ever even considered trying to shoot it. We all stood there with our mouths open for awhile and finally the trapper said something to the effect of 'I'll be damned...never seen that before.'
As we laughed about it later the trapper shared that he had snared the coyote in a fence line and since it appeared dead had not bothered to try any dispatch methods. He had literally slung this live coyote over his shoulder and walked some distance to put it in the back of the truck. He lived in town and I often think what his options would have been if he got all the way home to find a live and upset coyote in the back of his truck...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSH
One of the strangest experiences I ever had with a live critter:

I was at a friend's place and he allows another guy to trap on his small farm. 3 of us were messing around in the machine shed when the trapper pulled up to visit. He said he had snared a coyote and wanted to show us. The coyote was in the back of a pickup with a topper. We all crowded around as he opened the topper and flipped the tailgate down. As he reached for the coyote I remember thinking 'those are awfully bright clear eyes for a dead coyote...' The trapper grabbed the coyote by the tail and the scruff of the neck to swing it out of the truck and the coyote came to life. It hit the ground on its feet and galloped on down the driveway and across the field. It literally brushed my legs as it was leaving. 3 of the 4 of us were carrying handguns on our belt at the time and nobody ever even considered trying to shoot it. We all stood there with our mouths open for awhile and finally the trapper said something to the effect of 'I'll be damned...never seen that before.'
As we laughed about it later the trapper shared that he had snared the coyote in a fence line and since it appeared dead had not bothered to try any dispatch methods. He had literally slung this live coyote over his shoulder and walked some distance to put it in the back of the truck. He lived in town and I often think what his options would have been if he got all the way home to find a live and upset coyote in the back of his truck...

I would have fed it exhaust fumes from the tail pipe. Bullets would have been a bit hard on the truck.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've heard the tale from several coyote hunters/trappers of them grabbing a "dead" coyote up and slinging it over the shoulder and getting bitten on the back of the leg.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,558 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,719
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.