Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Not sure why, but I have been thinking about your situation and asking myself what I would do. So here goes.

Winchester m70 classic stainless (cause I like em!) or ruger 77 as DD and Phil suggested in ‘06. 180 partitions. Available everwhere. Won’t bounce off anything, including an interior griz.

Remington 870 12 ga in stainless. This would have a sling and be my around camp gun, outhouse gun, bird gun, etc etc etc. Shells available everywhere. Although as others have pointed out, the bearanoia is probaby a bit over rated - especially that time of year.

Ruger stainless 22 pistol (I like the mark 3 hunter.). Takes care of your trapline duties, also fun for birds and rabbits, etc. Ammo prety much available everywhere again.

There ya go ... that’s how I would skin this cat. And probably worth exactly what you paid for it!

GB1

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I'm a Winchester fan myself. My fav was one Redneck built for me. I had it done in 284 Win.
Course it was stolen 2 years ago or so now, with the rest of our stuff (most of it anyway).
THAT was Great rifle.!

I've also owned a few Rugers, but they were in the No. 1 configuration.
My fave out of them was a K1A in 35 Whelen.

I appreciate where you're coming from, and your post.
Thank you.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Originally Posted by pete53
Browning makes a lever rifle in a BLR IN 300 win mag and/or in a 30-06 too these levers are accurate and fast to use too.

How do the current Brownings hold up to salt spray, and the wet rainny, freezing conditions of AK.?
I've only run the A-Bolts. I have some question as to the trigger group, but not knowing the BLR assembly, I have to ask.

I can't definitively answer that question, but I hunt with a BLR .358 Win. It would not be my first choice for those conditions. I've not had any problems with mine, but the action is a complicated mechanism. If you had to disassemble it, they are tricky to re-assemble/time correctly. The BLR is light and handy though and they do make stainless versions if that's your requirement, although I'm sure blued rifles work fine if properly cared for. My BLR is blued and has been through several rainy hunts (no salt spray or Alaska freezing conditions though). I wiped it down and sprayed it with Birchwood Casey Sheath/Barricade after those hunts. It hasn't succumbed to rust. I'd do the same if it were stainless though. My Ruger 77 MkII Stainless .30-06 with laminated stock would probably get the nod for the conditions you just stated. It was my choice for a pragmatic, go anywhere all-rounder rifle. Disclaimer: Never been to Alaska.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not much salt spray up by fairbanks.....

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Not much salt spray up by fairbanks.....

No there is not.
But in the event I get on the coast or Islands...you know.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
IC B2

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Originally Posted by pete53
Browning makes a lever rifle in a BLR IN 300 win mag and/or in a 30-06 too these levers are accurate and fast to use too.

How do the current Brownings hold up to salt spray, and the wet rainny, freezing conditions of AK.?
I've only run the A-Bolts. I have some question as to the trigger group, but not knowing the BLR assembly, I have to ask.

I can't definitively answer that question, but I hunt with a BLR .358 Win. It would not be my first choice for those conditions. I've not had any problems with mine, but the action is a complicated mechanism. If you had to disassemble it, they are tricky to re-assemble/time correctly. The BLR is light and handy though and they do make stainless versions if that's your requirement, although I'm sure blued rifles work fine if properly cared for. My BLR is blued and has been through several rainy hunts (no salt spray or Alaska freezing conditions though). I wiped it down and sprayed it with Birchwood Casey Sheath/Barricade after those hunts. It hasn't succumbed to rust. I'd do the same if it were stainless though. My Ruger 77 MkII Stainless .30-06 with laminated stock would probably get the nod for the conditions you just stated. It was my choice for a pragmatic, go anywhere all-rounder rifle. Disclaimer: Never been to Alaska.

Thanks Gringo,

I had a Browning Micro in 284 Win. It was a great shooter, very light weight, and I killed stuff with it..but, the trigger guard and bottom metal was always a concern. Pot metal of some kind I suppose. I do like the scissor spring under the follower though. I pulled one of those scissor slring systems out of a magazine box and put inder a follower when I did my 358WSM. That gave me flawless feeding.

Thanks for going back and finding that question and then answering as much of it as you could.
I won't be running a BLR up north, I am a bit wary of them for use on those parts.

Thanks again.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458Win
Familiarity with your rifle ranks at the top of my list.
And the difference in recoil, and effectiveness, of a 338 compared with a 30-06 loaded with modern powders and 200/220 gr bullets is not significant and certainly not noticeable in the field.

I have a Brn/Win M-95 chambered in 30-06 that I seriously considered having rebored to a 9.3x62 as I really like that caliber. But when I got to comparing the performance of the 220 Partition from the 30-06 and the 286 gr bullets from the 9.3 I decided to put off the project.

At least for a while

Ouch! That hurt like 338WM recoil!

But I will get over it.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

210 members (afisher, 12344mag, 6mmbrfan, 257 roberts, 21, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,895 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,085
Posts18,501,701
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.