Hop To
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
C
Cigar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
You guys know anything about Backcountry Hunters & Anglers ?? I have been addicted to Steve Rinella's podcast lately.. I have heard them on the PC.. Sounds like these guys are on the ball...

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
GB1

C
Cigar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
? Nothing Guys ??

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some claim that BHA ‘s mission is more environmentally guided preservation than hunting preservation. Their donors are often large corporations like patagonia and some others with questionable views on hunting’s role in conservation. Maybe Dave Skinner will be along to add to this, I know he was doing some questioning about their donor info a while back. To me they seem like a cloaked environmental outfit with a catchy name. Maybe I’m wrong.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Was just watching “Meat Hunter” on Netflix with Steve Rinella (I believe). He doesn’t strike me as our enemy.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Some claim that BHA ‘s mission is more environmentally guided preservation than hunting preservation. Their donors are often large corporations like patagonia and some others with questionable views on hunting’s role in conservation. Maybe Dave Skinner will be along to add to this, I know he was doing some questioning about their donor info a while back. To me they seem like a cloaked environmental outfit with a catchy name. Maybe I’m wrong.

Yeah, you are wrong. Yes they are pro habitat ... understanding that without habitat there is no game. Yes they are pro-environment as is any thinking hunter. They are also pro-public lands, understanding that our public lands heritage sustains our passion for the hunt. BHA members are not to be found in plywood blinds overlooking a pile of bait, rather they tend to be found with a pack on their back miles off the road system. Solid folks who understand and are working to protect both habitat and our connection to it.

Get involved with the BHA ... only then you can make an informed decision.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks coot. I’ll do some research on them.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Timbermaster,

I believe in these folks, having been a member since BHA was founded. These folks are the real deal. Tell you what, I'll put skin in the game. PM me your name & address and I will set you up as a BHA member and pay your first years dues. This will give you an up-close look.

Last edited by OregonCoot; 03/05/18.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
was a member for a year. a couple of issues that came up i thought they were a bit tree hugger about so did not renew. I aksed one of the folks trying to get me to renew about it and got an answer that didnt re assure me so didnt renew. like the idea and concept just not what i saw/heard.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd like to hear what BHA's stance is on the Second Amendment, the whole enchilada, semi auto's, Ar15's. And please don't tell me they are single issue and avoid 2nd Amend. discussions.
The enviro-angle is find and dandy but when you have Patagonia in your corner, that is not conducive to constitutional values.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Join. Going to perpetuate our sport a lot more than the Texas Cornflinger & Box Blind club ever will.

No offense to Texans meant.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
Timbermaster,

I believe in these folks, having been a member since BHA was founded. These folks are the real deal. Tell you what, I'll put skin in the game. PM me your name & address and I will set you up as a BHA member and pay your first years dues. This will give you an up-close look.

Not necessary my friend. However it is a very nice gesture. If I find that BHA is aligned with my hunting values, I won’t hesitate to join.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just found this relating to the BHA. Read it for what its worth.

https://www.greendecoys.com/decoys/backcountry-hunters-and-anglers/

"Most prominent is BHA executive director Land Tawney, who ran the liberal political action committee (PAC) calling itself the “Montana Hunters and Anglers Leadership Fund” (MHA). In 2012, this pop-up PAC spent $1.1 million against Republican U.S. Senate candidate Denny Rehberg, who was challenging Democratic U.S. Sen. Jon Tester. The liberal MHA also spent $500,000 in support of the libertarian candidate as a strategy of drawing votes away from the Republican. MHA received several hundred thousand dollars from the League of Conservation Voters, a liberal environmentalist group. Tawney is also a member of the Montana Sportsmen for Obama Committee and previously served as the National Grassroots Coordinator for the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership, which, like BHA, is an environmentalist front that poses as a hunter and fisher group."

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Just found this relating to the BHA. Read it for what its worth.

https://www.greendecoys.com/decoys/backcountry-hunters-and-anglers/

"Most prominent is BHA executive director Land Tawney, who ran the liberal political action committee (PAC) calling itself the “Montana Hunters and Anglers Leadership Fund” (MHA). In 2012, this pop-up PAC spent $1.1 million against Republican U.S. Senate candidate Denny Rehberg, who was challenging Democratic U.S. Sen. Jon Tester. The liberal MHA also spent $500,000 in support of the libertarian candidate as a strategy of drawing votes away from the Republican. MHA received several hundred thousand dollars from the League of Conservation Voters, a liberal environmentalist group. Tawney is also a member of the Montana Sportsmen for Obama Committee and previously served as the National Grassroots Coordinator for the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership, which, like BHA, is an environmentalist front that poses as a hunter and fisher group."

The whole green decoy thing is, in itself, an attempt to mischaracterize and disguise political motivations.

BHA and other groups oppose public land transfer. So called “conservatives” want the transfer to occur and attempt to portray BHA as a liberal group. It’s not, although because the dems are currently the party most against the transfer, BHA does share some of the same goals.

Hardly a liberal group in practice however. It would be like if RMEF and the Sierra Club found themselves working to preserve the same piece of property. Nobody would call RMEF an animal rights activist group, but goals do align from time to time.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well stated. I joined early and I've been to their get togethers here when they're in town. I didn't see any tree huggers, just hard core hunters.

Guys like Skinner can't stand BHA because it advocates for roadless and wilderness areas which are anathema to them. BHA doesn't advocate for roadless areas because Patagonia does, we do it because roadless areas are the best places to hunt and fish. Period.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
Well stated. I joined early and I've been to their get togethers here when they're in town. I didn't see any tree huggers, just hard core hunters.

Guys like Skinner can't stand BHA because it advocates for roadless and wilderness areas which are anathema to them. BHA doesn't advocate for roadless areas because Patagonia does, we do it because roadless areas are the best places to hunt and fish. Period.

On the face of it one would think that the greenies and hunters would be natural allies, and if it were not for the greeny obsession with the anti-firearm/hunting agenda it would be a comfortable alliance that would produce great benefits for rural communities.

Shame most greenies are wack-jobs.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
True.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SBTCO
I'd like to hear what BHA's stance is on the Second Amendment, the whole enchilada, semi auto's, Ar15's. And please don't tell me they are single issue and avoid 2nd Amend. discussions.
The enviro-angle is find and dandy but when you have Patagonia in your corner, that is not conducive to constitutional values.

I belong to the NRA for 2A advocacy as do many other BHA members.

You should be asking the NRA what its stance on public lands is, both the Second Amendment and public lands are important for the çontinued survival of gun rights and hunting.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I was a member in WA for two years. I would say they are more a fraternal organization than anything. I think they overstate their power/effectiveness, and play the scare game a little too much. They have created a sort of "public land puritanism" whereby hunters are often "litmus tested" whether an animal was killed on public lands or not. If not, they are ridiculed. This happens on social media like mad. They have exhumed poor old Roosevelt to the point it's nauseating, and I don't think they are as transparent in their spending as they should be. BHA pays Tawney about 100K, spends another 100K on travel (?), and gets about 1.1 mil in contributions. Would like to see those detailed out. This would go a long way allay fears of the green decoy bit. Listening to Land in interviews, I'm weary of how often the "just being there' line is brought up. Yes, just being there is important, but that does nothing for fishers and hunters. And I think an unintended consequence of being a single-idea org is that while voting in public-land friendly people might help pubic lands, those same people are not as sympathetic to the interests of hunters. I think BHA needs to focus more on working with pro-hunting people who need to be more pro-public lands than the obverse. I can convince a more conservative person to be pro-public lands, than a big gov't liberal to be pro-gun or pro-hunting. I think this is why they get labelled green decoys as well. And I think it's shortsighted on BHA's part not to recognize that. Tawney has often said, "The name of the org is hunters and anglers," but forgets that the actions speak louder than words. They have yet to fully realize the enemy of your enemy is NOT your friend.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by baxterb
I was a member in WA for two years. I would say they are more a fraternal organization than anything. I think they overstate their power/effectiveness, and play the scare game a little too much. They have created a sort of "public land puritanism" whereby hunters are often "litmus tested" whether an animal was killed on public lands or not. If not, they are ridiculed. This happens on social media like mad. They have exhumed poor old Roosevelt to the point it's nauseating, and I don't think they are as transparent in their spending as they should be. BHA pays Tawney about 100K, spends another 100K on travel (?), and gets about 1.1 mil in contributions. Would like to see those detailed out. This would go a long way allay fears of the green decoy bit. Listening to Land in interviews, I'm weary of how often the "just being there' line is brought up. Yes, just being there is important, but that does nothing for fishers and hunters. And I think an unintended consequence of being a single-idea org is that while voting in public-land friendly people might help pubic lands, those same people are not as sympathetic to the interests of hunters. I think BHA needs to focus more on working with pro-hunting people who need to be more pro-public lands than the obverse. I can convince a more conservative person to be pro-public lands, than a big gov't liberal to be pro-gun or pro-hunting. I think this is why they get labelled green decoys as well. And I think it's shortsighted on BHA's part not to recognize that. Tawney has often said, "The name of the org is hunters and anglers," but forgets that the actions speak louder than words. They have yet to fully realize the enemy of your enemy is NOT your friend.

Great post.
They have no problem walking hand in hand with enviro-nazi groups.
Now they are sticking their nose here in Minnesota copper nickel mining. They have written the same crap you can find on Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness.
Let me tell you, Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness is no friend of hunters.
Go back to Montana Tawney, the people that live and work on the range don't want you or your liberal BS here.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a thread from last year about them. They sound a little sketchy to me.
Kinda like the Humane Society asking for donations to help the homeless animals but they have turned into a radical animal rights group.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11981840/1

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (06hunter59, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 222Sako, 1minute, 69 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,207
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.