I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by vapodog
I m bent on using monometals as it's a requirement of the ranch

30-06 / 150 TTSX

This. You’re engaged in mental masturbarion without cause.

They are elk, not Velociraptors.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Adams
I think there's a lot of experienced elk hunters that would agree

And a bunch that wouldn't......

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Adams,

Are you one of those "experienced elk hunters that would agree"?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Adams,

Are you one of those "experienced elk hunters that would agree"?

Laughin' here.....................

MM

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Hardest part of killing an elk is finding one to kill. I guess if you need to hire someone to find one for you you should heed their priorities... experienced elk hunters don't have to heed their BS though.

Kent

IC B2

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Only one of those I have is the 3006 and it's killed a bunch of elk with the 165 barnes, it was my loaner for family and friends when they drew and I take them out for over 20 years, now it's a 7 08.

Kent

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A 30-06
B 300H&H
C 9.3X62
D 375H&H
I do own all of those calibers and hunt elk with them all too, and so I'd vote E.

All of the above.

All work fine.
If you are going to sit and wait, and you don't have to walk at all,take them all and sit with a new one every day until you get the elk you want.

"Let the elk decide"
Eney is the 06. Meenie is the 300. Miney is the 9.3 and Mo is the 375

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
catch a nagger by his toe is the Creed.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If he hollers, let him go is the 260

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Often I can't believe the stuff supposedly experienced hunters worry about on the Campfire. This thread is perfect example. The .30-06 would be plenty with 150-grain monometal bullets of any brand. So would plenty of smaller rounds.

First off I didn't set the rule on one of the state's web sites.

Neither did any of the states.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Interesting thread. I'm a long time supporter of the 30/06,(Otter6),and the 150 grain bullet. Last season's whitetail buck stopped one without an exit of any sort. Kinda shook my faith in the combination. The shot was close,so velocity may have played a part. 18 yards,angled down through the chest cavity. The bullet entered high shoulder on the left,and the jacket was against a broken rib near the tip of the sternum on the right. Granted,the buck dropped so hard it bounced,but what if it had been an elk? No CNS was disturbed. I know,the deer absorbed every ounce of the energy. Perfect performance per se. Yada yada. I'm sure a mono would have exited,but the Ballistic Tip hunting (new construction), didn't. If a four year old eastern whitetail can stop one short of exiting,with a chest cavity shot, Ill pass on the elk. At least with anything short of a mono or bonded offering.

I'm old school enough that I've been heard to say the 06 is best served with 180 grain bullets. The Kimber has a preference for 150 grain bullets though. So,no more Ballistic tips in this rig. I love my otter6 rifles. With the right bullet. I wouldn't use too broad a brush to paint that picture though.

Last edited by Otter6; 03/07/18.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Of those I'd pick the 300 H&H, I've killed all my elk but one with my 300 H&H and I have total faith in it and the model 70 I built around it. A 180 TTSX @3050 has impressed me.

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by handwerk
Of those I'd pick the 300 H&H, I've killed all my elk but one with my 300 H&H and I have total faith in it and the model 70 I built around it. A 180 TTSX @3050 has impressed me.

There can be no doubt as to this choice ....it's just a good one.

Here's the real issue.....I know that cow elk aren't especially hard to kill ....shot placement reigns always!!! Having said that, I'd be a lot less concerned if it was like deer hunting.....meaning....local hunts are very good and cost me less than a "C" note. Ek hunts easily cost me twenty times as much.....so I like to plan much more carefully.....hell, I could also use a .264 Magnum or a .270 Winny and even a .25-06 but when you play poker for higher stakes one likes to have a fairly good hand to raise the bidding. Further, the ranch I hunt has a "you draw blood and it's yours" rule....very much like South Africa.....and it's intended to keep hunters from simply blasting away at anything within eyesight. It's simply akin to the rule....two jacks to open and trips to win.

One likes to have much better odds on his side to play this game.....besides that....February was a very harsh month and some of us are still dealing with "cabin fever".....LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

First off I didn't set the rule on one of the state's web sites. I didn't make up the guide's rules. I have visited many elk guide's sites in the last six months and many of them talk about minimum calibers and bullet sizes to use. One I visited said not to come if you were bring under a certain caliber. Again not my opinion.

A friend spent years guiding for elk in Colorado. He never carried anything but a .243 for himself, so there is a wide divergence of guide opinions.

Second I wouldn't take a quartering to me shot over 200 yards even though I'm very capable at longer ranges.

Why not? Many loads are quite capable of humane kills with quartering shots well over 200 yards. I've driven monos lengthwise through deer at 400 yards. No mono I've ever used has been stopped by the animal and I've taken multiple elk with them. The last was 400 yards give or take a couple.

Third the 30-06 with a 150 grain bullet of any style at an elk quartering to me at 350-400 yards imho is not enough gun. Much less many smaller calibers shooting light bullets at equal or less speeds. I think there's a lot of experienced elk hunters that would agree with this statement.

A 150g TTSX launched at 2914fps from a .30-06 will retain 2296fps and a bit over 1756fpe at 400 yards. I wouldn't hesitate to use that load for elk at that range. The 168g TTSX load I do use starts at 2841fps and retains 2240fps and 1871fpe at 400 yards. Not enough difference to worry about. Daughter #1 uses a 130g TTSX in her .308 Win. Launched at 3045fps it retains 2269fps and 1486fpe at 400 yards. I don't doubt it will work. (All numbers assume 8,000 ft altitude and 50 degrees F.)

I'm not saying you can't kill an elk with 06 at 400 quartering to you with 150 grain bullet. But imho it would nof be very ethical. Just like almost every Outdoor hunting channel t.v. show takes so many unethical shots. That's why I will only watch Jim Shockey and Eastman's. Not saying there aren't a couple more ethical hunting shows.

Quartering to or away it is not a shot I would pass up with any of the loads I've listed. Unless I thought I could get closer.

imho I think a lot of people forget that it is or responsibility when taking an animals life to dispatch of that animal in quickest most humane manner possible.

That is definitely true.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
I’d take a 6.5 Creedmoor using 127 Barnes LRX bullets. Far easier to shoot at distance than any mentioned, kills every bit as well (probably better past 400) and leaves no lead in that wonderful cow elk meat. Recoil is so much less as to almost be a winning criterion in and of itself.

I’m pretty sure you misunderstood the question laugh

He's sniffed too much H4350...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I enjoyed the exercise! Lots of us older guys have to "dial it back" if we are to continue our participation in the game!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by vapodog
You have a .30-06, a .300 H&H, a 9.3 X 62 and a .375 H&H.....you shoot them all fairly well and are comfortable shooting 350 yards with any of them.

You're going elk hunting and the style of hunting is to sit in a lawn chair in the mountainous meadows and glass for elk most of the day. Stalking isn't the style you prefer as age has taken it's toll. Hstorically shots have been 300 yards and more on cow elk and you shoot over sticks.....

What's your choce of rifle?

I've used all of these. I'd lean toward the good ol 06 or 300H&H loaded with partitions or Hornady ELDX, or even like Brad and JB said 150 TTSX.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Which ever gun you like and shoot the best. I'd likely go with the 30-06 as I'm not real fond of recoil and it's plenty to kill any elk I have ever seen.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Anyone who would not take a quartering shot on an elk at 200 yds or any shot at 350 yds with a 30-06 is welcome to hunt with me anytime. I can always use a buddy to help pack out a bull. 😂

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

A good start would be to find how many people on the Campfire have actually Killed more than a couple elk and with those cartridges.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 79 invisible), 2,660 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,593
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.