Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
mtnman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Despite the current witch-hunt, I have always liked Jim Zumbo. I especially liked the inclusion of the cooking portion of his TV show and how he related it to the game of the day. Seems to me he has been a pretty staunch supporter of the hunting and gun owning community for his whole life. I never tried to read too much into it, just enjoyed the guy and his writings and show in general.

Frankly I think there became an internet feeding frenzy to destroy the guy over comments that I don't believe were as noxious as everyone seems to be making them out to be.

Reading his commentary objectively, I think he wrote it poorly, and chose some poor phrasing, with words like "terrorist" and "ban". I don't agree with his commentary, but I'm still amazed at some of the reactions.

The screams that it isn't about hunting but is about the 2nd amendment is BS. I've read his article a few times and it seems to me that purely from his perspective it was completely about hunting. He didn't say that "black" rifles should be banned. He said they should be banned from hunting use. (I don't agree) but nowhere did he mention anything about ownership. I know my grandfather and father and most of the old timers I grew up around would have also frowned on seein' AR's and AK's in the woods. Just a reaction of the times perhaps, but still they way they "perceived" it. I suspect that that is what Jim Z. was trying to get at but just went over the top in the way he said it.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Funny, I always thought he was a jackass.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
+1

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

M
mtnman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Seems a pretty good reason to crucify him...

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It is like that with a lot of animals. If one of their own is sick or injured they will turn on it and mercilessly tear it to pieces.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I say give the guy a break.

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
Thought him a jackass long before this latest debacle.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
The nerve! A person speaking their mind in America! How dare he say anything other than an NRA aproved comment?
Was he right?...NO
Was it his right to say what the thought?... of course.
Why do we tear everyone apart who has the nerve to speak their mind, politically correct or not? He's a fellow hunter, an individual, and, omigosh, opininated.
Like my signature says and he found out, so cut him a break.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He may find himself a new writing niche:

Jim Zumbo; Tactical Shooter??

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most people don't understand or value freedom and freedoms until they are lost, nor to most people understand how those freedoms are lost.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
+1 and a drunkard who got too big for his britches who is now crawling into his bottle to find solace!! Good Riddance!! mad

People who cost me money pizz me off!!!!!!

NRA Life Member
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by corelokt308win
Why do we tear everyone apart who has the nerve to speak their mind, politically correct or not?
Civilization is not very civil.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
When someone, no matter who it is sits in prominence over a group of people and then makes comments that the group does not agree with, the only thing the group can do is separate themselves from the one making the comments. If we the hunters, shooters, collectors etc. said nothing it would mean to the rest that we agreed with what Zumbo said IMHO.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by mtnman1
Despite the current witch-hunt, I have always liked Jim Zumbo. I especially liked the inclusion of the cooking portion of his TV show and how he related it to the game of the day. Seems to me he has been a pretty staunch supporter of the hunting and gun owning community for his whole life. I never tried to read too much into it, just enjoyed the guy and his writings and show in general.

Frankly I think there became an internet feeding frenzy to destroy the guy over comments that I don't believe were as noxious as everyone seems to be making them out to be.

Reading his commentary objectively, I think he wrote it poorly, and chose some poor phrasing, with words like "terrorist" and "ban". I don't agree with his commentary, but I'm still amazed at some of the reactions.

The screams that it isn't about hunting but is about the 2nd amendment is BS. I've read his article a few times and it seems to me that purely from his perspective it was completely about hunting. He didn't say that "black" rifles should be banned. He said they should be banned from hunting use. (I don't agree) but nowhere did he mention anything about ownership. I know my grandfather and father and most of the old timers I grew up around would have also frowned on seein' AR's and AK's in the woods. Just a reaction of the times perhaps, but still they way they "perceived" it. I suspect that that is what Jim Z. was trying to get at but just went over the top in the way he said it.

If you're looking for agreement, you ain't gonna get much here.
While you're trolling, why not try Sarah Bardy's site. You'll get far more agreement there.... frown

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

++1

Those words did not just tumble half formed from Jim Zumbo's word processor. His expressed views demonstrate his long engrained belief that only his type of gun games are worthwhile. While no one is arguing that he was a friend of hunters, (or at least a friend of his sponsors who wined and dined him with free guns, dream hunts and other goodies), he has never demonstrated that he is a friend of the Second Amendment, or the political philosophy that is behind it.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 02/23/07.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The screams that it isn't about hunting but is about the 2nd amendment is BS. I've read his article a few times and it seems to me that purely from his perspective it was completely about hunting. He didn't say that "black" rifles should be banned.

His blog was written about hunting, BUT, and this is a huge but, you cannot, as a world known gun writer take a firearm and refer to it as a "terrorist weapon" in print without doing damage to the cause of the 2nd ammendment. Period.

He was okay when he said he "didn't see a use for them in hunting". He was okay when he called them "assault rifles" in quotes, mocking the media and lefties. He may have even weathered the storm after calling for their ban from our hunting fields, maybe. Not the worst thing, there are many different weapons restricted or outright banned from our hunting fields, it doesn't mean you can't own one. But where he completely crossed the line and hit the point of no return was the "terrorist weapon" comment. I don't care if he's writing a story about knitting, call a rifle a tool of terrorists, and there's going to harm done to the cause. You will hear that term again in print and on TV because of him...guaranteed, especially in light of the fact that the effort to renew the AWB is underway.

Having said that, I never particularly liked the guy, but it is troubling to watch someone who was in the business for so long and was at or just beyond the apex of his carreer, go down in flames like this. Like the guy or not, it's not easy to watch someone lose everything they just spent 30 years working for. His retirement will likely be a lot less comfy than it otherwise would have, and after having been respected by many for many years, he suddenly finds himself the cast off on the outside looking in. That cannot be in any way pleasant.

Had he said those comments over a campfire, it would have likely resulted in not much more than a lively debate or some name calling. Say it for the world to see and your enemies to use against you, and it's a whole different ball game now...

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
org Offline
When somebody calls a large group of people "terrorists" he's gotta expect some heat. That steps over the "speaking his mind" line.

It's a fact that the antis are already quoting him. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never really liked his writing, thought he sounded a bit full of himself. Never saw his show, though, so maybe I am wrong...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by corelokt308win
The nerve! A person speaking their mind in America! How dare he say anything other than an NRA aproved comment?
Was he right?...NO
Was it his right to say what the thought?... of course.

There is nothing in the 1st Amendment about being insulated from the consequences derived from insulting your sponsors' customers. Zumbo got his 15 minutes on the soapbox; now it's time to pay the piper (I love mixing metaphors).

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I agree with SteveNo, as I oftimes do and Mannlicher, Zumbo is a hack, always has been and this is NOT an "off-the-cuff" remark, the dipschitt actually believes this crap!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1234, 007FJ, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,415
Posts18,470,496
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.