Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
I am waiting for Ruger to bring out a 10 on the GP100 frame... they have at least one guaranteed sale....

I'd buy one as well. I'd buy two if they made one with a 4 inch barrel and one with a round butt and 3 inch barrel.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by CraigC
The .41Mag is closer to the .44Mag in recoil and velocity. Don't we kinda argue with folks who say the 10mm and .41Mag are equals?

I'm hoping this renewed interest in the 10mm will result in better bullets.

The 10mm is limited by magazine length; its pretty hard to improve on bullets when the boiler room is crammed. What are the bullets lacking?

Of course a wheelgun ditches the mag confines.

My present 200 WFN .401 would get a lot better if it wasn't tortured into a Delta/Double Eagle magazines. Even in the longslide Para, the 10mm isnt even in the same league as the .41 Mag.
In a wheelgun, it would fare better with less intrusion into the case.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No it isn't. We just need tougher versions of what we already have. Most jacketed bullets are designed for self defense in the .40S&W or 10mm and open up too quickly. A 200gr Gold Dot that's tougher than the current 180gr would be a good start.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
I am waiting for Ruger to bring out a 10 on the GP100 frame... they have at least one guaranteed sale....

I'd buy one as well. I'd buy two if they made one with a 4 inch barrel and one with a round butt and 3 inch barrel.

Me Three!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
I was skeptical initially as to the concept, but when I started shooting it I realized it has it's place. It's a fairly potent cartridge (loaded properly) in a package that is really easy to shoot. I know, there are other options available like the .41 or .44 Mag versions, but variety is the spice of life.

PREZACTLY!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by jwp475

If I’m going 10mm it will be semi auto.

yep. My Glock G40 is packed with 16 rounds of goodness.

grin

Glock 40 MOS with RM-06 Trijicon. Trying to get used to the dot and Glock trigger.

Got 500 180 gr. FMJ FN from RMR for $60 to practice with. That's cheaper than cast.

I like 180 XTP for serious work, they're slightly more accurate than the FMJ's.

I just checked at www.rmrbullets.com seems they've sold out.

I'm loading 9.2 Longshot at around 1,200, maybe a tad less. Haven't clocked it yet.

Dillon 550B cranks'em out.

DF

[Linked Image]

Have you used the 180 gr XTP on critters?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not yet, Ed.

Just got it, working on learning how to shoot a Glock trigger.

I'm spoiled by good 1911 triggers, like my .45 ACP Les Baer Long Slide.

Baer makes a Long Slide 10mm, but it's $2,500.

Positive for the Glock is the MOS provision for reflex optics and the double stack mag.

These 180 XTP's should do a job on a hog or a WT, running a round 1,200 fps.

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I will be bringing my M610 loaded with 180 gr XTP's to the annual 'fire hog hunt next week. Just curious.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
My bitch is with cast bullets. Wide, fat ones that occupy less of the case capacity. It does okay, but lacks in the confines of its original design.

But I'd point out your first gripe with a 200 Gold Dot is going to be real estate....or where the velocity went to. The XTP can be made into a tough bullet, but when it is it has the expansion window of a brick and the frontal area of a toothpick....

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EdM
I will be bringing my M610 loaded with 180 gr XTP's to the annual 'fire hog hunt next week. Just curious.

Good,

Look forward to your report.

DF

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by HawkI
My bitch is with cast bullets. Wide, fat ones that occupy less of the case capacity. It does okay, but lacks in the confines of its original design.

But I'd point out your first gripe with a 200 Gold Dot is going to be real estate....or where the velocity went to. The XTP can be made into a tough bullet, but when it is it has the expansion window of a brick and the frontal area of a toothpick....

The 10's biggest limitation is with cast bullets and cartridge overall length. Even the heaviest 230gr pills are only comparable to standard weight bullets in the .44Mag and .45Colt. The SRH might be much more useful if rechambered to 10mmMag where we can get more, better powder in the case and seat those bullets out long but it would still be compatible with .40S&W and 10mm with moon clips. Be nice to see some 250gr bullets with a crimp groove. But at that point, we'd probably be better off all the way around with the .41Mag.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If I was staying with a wheel gun, I'd go .41 mag over 10 mm.

I like both rounds; the .41 is meant for a revolver, the 10 mm, for an auto loader.

DF

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would think the 180 xtp would be alright on hogs.......they will shoot right on thru a whitetail on side to side ribcage shots.......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
180 XTP’s in my Glock 20 works great on hogs, but I prefer the 200 gr XTP with a max load of AA-9 powder or Buffalo Bore Factory Ammo with the 220 gr hard cast bullet.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
180 XTP’s in my Glock 20 works great on hogs, but I prefer the 200 gr XTP with a max load of AA-9 powder or Buffalo Bore Factory Ammo with the 220 gr hard cast bullet.

Interested in your answer and would like more details on why you prefer the 200 gr. XTP over the 180 gr. XTP.

I have a can of AA-9, right now am using 9.2 gr. Longshot with 180 gr. XTP's and 180 gr. FMJ's.

I read somewhere than Buffalo Bore uses Rim Rock hard cast bullets.

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/-40-10mm-200-gr-tc-the-outdoorsman-per-500.html

Glock doesn't recommend cast bullets for their polygonal rifling, but seems these hard cast do well.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just personal preference. I will always pick the heavier bullet given a choice. And my 10mm’s shoot the 200 gr XTP more accurately. Nothing wrong with the 180 gr version.

And I’ve been shooting hard cast bullets in my Glocks forever without a hitch.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I may have to try some 200 Rim Rock hard cast. The 220 sure looks long and will push way down in the case. I'd be worried about compressing the powder too much with that one, which can sometimes cause pressure issues in a pistol round. I guess it would depend on which powder one was using.

Buffalo Bore and Double Tap, hard to duplicate their data. They know how to safely get that last few fps out of a round.

DF

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For you die hard Hard Cast guys.....my sample set is small.....killed one black bear with hard cast. In a 480 Ruger Think they were 385 HC. Fully realize they need to go in the correct location to get results. But that bear took A LOT of killing. I am not at all a fan of HC. Shot piles of jackrabbits with HC in .429 and .452". They were nearly all run offs. While not PERSONALLY having conducted penetration tests.....YT is FULL of XTP Gel tests. They (both 200 and 180) are pretty formidable in 10mm. So much so, I would not even consider HC in my 10mm.

Am I way off? All long time internet John Taffin Kool-Aid? I've killed a pretty good pile of black bears. Even in a personal defense scenario.....I don't see more than 12" of penetration being necessary. And I think either XTP does that more than adequately with the bonus of much greater expansion and wound channel.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
For you die hard Hard Cast guys.....my sample set is small.....killed one black bear with hard cast. In a 480 Ruger Think they were 385 HC. Fully realize they need to go in the correct location to get results. But that bear took A LOT of killing. I am not at all a fan of HC. Shot piles of jackrabbits with HC in .429 and .452". They were nearly all run offs. While not PERSONALLY having conducted penetration tests.....YT is FULL of XTP Gel tests. They (both 200 and 180) are pretty formidable in 10mm. So much so, I would not even consider HC in my 10mm.

Am I way off? All long time internet John Taffin Kool-Aid? I've killed a pretty good pile of black bears. Even in a personal defense scenario.....I don't see more than 12" of penetration being necessary. And I think either XTP does that more than adequately with the bonus of much greater expansion and wound channel.

Hard cast to be effective require wide meplats in my experience. I’ve never had a rabbit run off from one.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes

If you don't place your shot, it doesn't matter what you're shooting.

No handgun is going to be as dramatic of a killer as a high velocity rifle using an expanding bullet, it's the nature of the beast. The 480 with cast should have punched a 1 1/2" permanent hole clear through the bear.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (1beaver_shooter, 22250rem, 160user, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 3,327 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,734
Posts18,535,227
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.