-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Lot of guys quit collecting more when they can't remember that many guns.

But with a spreadsheet.....

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I once had a girl tell me,"My husband is always buying guns.He said,I need a gun for doves,I need a gun for deer,I need a gun for pigs,I need a gun for snakes".It was all I could do to keep from laughing.Sounds like a man with an easy woman and a lot of guns! As for me,I'm getting to where I have more guns than I use.I have built a collection of very accurate rifles,but as I grow older,some may never make a hunting trip by me because I'm liking certain ones more.I'd rather spend money on guns than other crap because they always maintain good value.So the more the merrier,you can always sell them or pass them on.

EASY woman? No SMART woman! Mine often demands a copy of whatever I"ve bought.. Recently its acquire a glock 20, and put an RMR on it. And now maybe a new barrel as its not good enough for deer at 100 with the factory tube... she now wants an RMR. Though I can probably avoid the new barrel because hers is a carry gun and a 4 legged defense gun, and she wouldn't shoot at a deer with it much past 30 or 40 steps anyway.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
One! Also ....wife uses one! We have others to play with.....but, when hunting comes down to one! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
To do what?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I am going out to the desert tomorrow to shoot some steel. I'll take my Tikka T3 in 308w, an RAR in 223 and an AR15 and 2 Glocks. I shoot these several times/ month. I do not own a rifle or pistol that I shoot less than 300 rounds/year.

Hey cody brown, yours was a legit question, it doesn't take much to stir up the mindless paranoia that runs rampant on this site.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Out of probably three handfuls, there are two that go on at least half of each "shoot." One is a Fireball and the other a 223. Both are accurate, and I guess I take those for a "baseline" of how I'm doing with the other irons.
Only have three safe queens, and that's only because they are shot out, either apart or waiting to be torn apart and rebuilt.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I am going out to the desert tomorrow to shoot some steel. I'll take my Tikka T3 in 308w, an RAR in 223 and an AR15 and 2 Glocks. I shoot these several times/ month. I do not own a rifle or pistol that I shoot less than 300 rounds/year.

Hey cody brown, yours was a legit question, it doesn't take much to stir up the mindless paranoia that runs rampant on this site.

mike r

Thank you sir, I appreciate your input.

Cody

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have guns I bought years ago and still have not shot them! Not proud of that.. it’s a problem I figure

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I do not have enough guns!!!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Way it works for me is fairly simple. I buy a gun and it shoots very well (boring as hell) and thus becomes too valuable to sell. When I buy one that doesn't shoot it becomes too interesting to put aside, at least until it's fixed. Within the last 30 days I've shot 8 different guns. Among the casualties was a scorpion and a squirrel. I don't need any more arms and likely won't buy any additional puzzles. When they get passed along to the youngsters they will be getting good functional arms. Any of them displaying signs of genius will win the casting/BPCR/ML lottery. A few will get sold, nor sure which.

Is the .45-70 too much gun for squirrels?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
90% (or perhaps a bit more) of my rifle shooting is done with either a 22 LR or 223 R. Of that 90% probably 75% of it is done with a 22 LR and the remaining with a 223 R. Looking at it realistically I could do everything I want to do with those two calibers.

Breaking it down even further the only pistol I own are chambered in 22 LR and 38 Special and at least 95 % of my handgun shooting consists of the 22 LR with the 38 only being used rarely.

The other rifles setting in my safe are just collecting dust but I see no real reason to get rid of them just for that reason.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
...Is the .45-70 too much gun for squirrels?

Not if they can handle the recoil...

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Laffin' here Ed, thanks. laugh

I don't name guns often, but I call the .45-70 "Thumper". Buddy of mine named it so after about 10 full house loads. Fair sure it would squish a squill.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Wifey has a pickup bed full of shoes, I need more guns!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
AKJEFF, here on the 'Fire gave me some .45-70 loads to try in my Marlin 1895. He said some were "stout". Now, you gotta realize that Jeff is built like an NFL lineman...

His "stout" loads gave me a rather uncommon ability. Wanna see me clap with my shoulder blades? eek

(With apologies to Patrick McManus) grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Kind of a funny question...to a military weapons collector.
how many of one specific type of rifle does one acquire? Answer, all you can afford.
You could spend the rest of your life just chasing variations of military mausers.
keeps you out of the bars.
I need to get busy and make some ammo up for some rifles that probably haven't been shot since the 1860's.
Poor old crossfire left this earth before he could get to some of them, like a 1842 springfield. I had this thought once of owning an example of every gun the U.S. used back to the revolutionary war. Made it as far as the mexican american war.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Probably around eight I guess.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have 9 that get regular use. A couple pistols, a couple rimfires, a couple shotguns, a couple bolt guns, and one AR.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Amen brother.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
About 40% I'd guess.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

390 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17Fan, 257_X_50, 1936M71, 16gage, 39 invisible), 2,206 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,146
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.