Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
2sticks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Twenty plus years ago hunting in the national forest in southwest Missouri I came across several fish hooks hanging from tree branches. They were about five and half feet above the ground. I figured someone was growing weed in the area.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
eek With the intent of snaggin somebody?? bastards

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always thought this rotted out but still standing tree was pretty cool

[Linked Image]

People grow weed indoors here. Thought there are still plenty of fishhooks in trees from careless casts.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
A bird got caught on the fish hooks and they broke off there.?
I have found loggers tools , an old steel arrow head in a tree. More junk than anything and lately those birthday balloons. I found a weather balloon in northwest wisconsin that came from Kansas once with a note saying to send it back if found, postage was paid.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 2sticks
Twenty plus years ago hunting in the national forest in southwest Missouri I came across several fish hooks hanging from tree branches. They were about five and half feet above the ground. I figured someone was growing weed in the area.

If it was an area flooded during heavy rains, might have been "bush hooks" for catching fish. River over flows the banks, fish move out and prowl for food.

I have set and tended many a bush hook and trot lines way down in the Altamaha River Swamps in Coastal Georgia.

Using a pirogue so I could paddle or pole through the Cypress trees and Cypress knees.

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
rubber dick wrapped in saran wrap. it was kind of close to the road so maybe it was a drive by.

My diploma is a DD214
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I heard of guys that catch coyotes with fishhooks on wire like this. Place chicken on hook, hang hook with wire 5-6 feet off ground. Coyotes jump to grab chicken and impale on hooks with their own weight falling.

Not very humane but nonetheless I’ve heard about it.....in very urban areas as well.

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hand dug well lined with native rock. This is on property I've owned since 1998 and I had never found this one until last November. There is another hand dug, rock lined well across the creek from this one and it still has water in it. The one in the photo is only about 4-5' deep, it is very close to the creek and I expect it silted in during a flood. When I first bought the property, I found remnants of a cellar dug into the edge of the creek.......there were parts of a door and frame and you could see part of the entrance. Those remnants are pretty much gone now due to erosion.

[Linked Image]

There is an old cemetery about 400 yards from this well, it is just across the fence on neighboring property. I found it while I was out coyote hunting......there is only one "modern" headstone, dated 1911, the other headstones are just native rocks. After I found it, I told the property owner about it........she had never seen it and had no idea it was there even though she has owned the property for decades and had probably driven by it dozens of times.

Cancer Sucks
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Funniest Thing I ever read on here in a similar thread of finding stuff in the woods was someone on here posted they found a Mossberg 930 (?) auto shotgun wrapped around a tree!

laugh laugh laugh

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
All kinds of critter skulls.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have discovered to never go into the woods without a roll of TP.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

The metal ring, tread, cap, whatever....for a wagon wheel. The wood long gone! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
About 35 years ago I was deer hunting on public land in upstate New York. I veered about half a mile off a main trail to see what I could see and I came across a very large tree that had an old man's face carved into it. The shear size of the carving and the detail was astounding. Whoever carved that had to spend many days or weeks doing it and why they did it in a place that nobody would see it remains a mystery. The chances of coming across that tree by accident was remote.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Couple of months back I was small game hunting in the NF and found an inexpensive Coast pocket knife buried in a pile of pine needles.. Cleaned up nice and even took a reasonable edge.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
On one of our pre-teen adventures, my brothers and I went down the railroad tracks from my grandparents house to a bridge where we'd shoot pigeons. We spotted something on the bank of the creek and took it back to show grandma.

She yelled out to my Grandfather after seeing it. He came out and started laughing.

My uncle explained it to us later......a pocket pussy.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by memtb

The metal ring, tread, cap, whatever....for a wagon wheel. The wood long gone! memtb

The wood probably never was there. Wagon wheels used to throw those rims all the time. They would come off and roll into the weeds and the driver might not realize it was gone until he got where he was going.

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/06/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The most surprising thing I’ve come across in 40 sum years hunting was a memorial made of a bronzed plaque with the full name of a husband and wife including their hunting “handle” or nik-name.

The plaque was placed, per the inscription, on the stand where the husband and wife sat every elk season watching over a massive clear cut...When I found the plaque, the clear cut was gone, long since unhuntable due to growth. The dates on on the plaque were 1978 and 1982 if I remember correctly. I assume the husband past away 4 years after his wife.

It was obvious from the memorial plaque being bronzed and professionally made that the hunting party they belonged to loved these two hunters very much. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve heard of hanging hooks baited with meat to catch coyotes. Were they treble hooks? That’s what they used for coyotes.

I found a metal box with IH in it, full of old wrenches, cow bells, a tool with a spring that splits apart, one of the Waller boys said it goes in a cows nose to control them. I found an axe head, an old tractor seat, and old car parts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
came across a cave in the hill country just west of campwood tx. with piles of bones from lion kills and a vertebra fossil in the wall about 30ft long.

Last edited by stxhunter; 03/06/18.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb

tyre

or tire

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 14,335 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,296
Posts18,545,319
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.