Campfire Tracker
L
Word.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Before I go out and kill a pile of Elk; I have to know if a 30/06 will or won't bounce off ?? grin

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Cigar,

My experience is that a .30-06 rifle will indeed bounce off an elk, though admit only seeing it happen when the elk in question was already dead, and somebody attempted to place their rifle on the elk for a photo.

But haven't seen it happen with bullets shot from a .30-06.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
laugh laugh ^^^^^^

John
=
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cigar
laugh laugh ^^^^^^

yes sir....I agree....very good humor!

IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I will admit that I have never killed an elk with a .30-06. As a matter of fact, it has only taken one good mule deer which resides on my wall. Elk just don’t seem to show up when I occasionally hunt with that rifle. It just always seems to be the backup rifle to something else. Perhaps I should change that this year. Nah....

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Cigar,

My experience is that a .30-06 rifle will indeed bounce off an elk, though admit only seeing it happen when the elk in question was already dead, and somebody attempted to place their rifle on the elk for a photo.

But haven't seen it happen with bullets shot from a .30-06.

The .30-06 (well....atleast it's bullets) didn't bounce off this pair of elk

[Linked Image]

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Back to the original question, I would vote for the .300 Holland just for the panache factor. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Before I go out and kill a pile of Elk; I have to know if a 30/06 will or won't bounce off ?? grin

You are obviously confusing the good ol' ought six with that abortion the 270 Winchester. The 270 should be totally banned as a caliber in all states....except California and parts of New Mexico!!!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar

You are obviously confusing the good ol' ought six with that abortion the 270 Winchester. The 270 should be totally banned as a caliber in all states....except California and parts of New Mexico!!!

Bawhahaha

John
=
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Of your choices I have 9.3x62 and .375 h&h , so I'd have to pick between them . But everything you listed will do it . So pick the coolest rifle haha .

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've been trying to find a good 9.3 X 62 load.....I have one that's great except it's accuracy seems to evade me.....vertical displacement of groups is almost nonexistant but horizontal dispersion is roughly 2 1/2 inches at 50 yards.....So it seems I have to work on the forend bedding and maybe that can alleviate the spread . The .300 H&H is currently my second choice but finding the bullet to deliver the accuracy I want has evaded me as well.....monometals don't really offer the large variety that one has in standard bullets. I gave up on Barnes and ordered some Noslers and we'll see how that works out. 165 grains (according to those of you that have posted on the subject) seems to be the ticket so I ordered that bullet from Nosler.....Hornady also makes a 165 but the published BC is considerably better with the Nosler offering, so I'll try them first.

It's a long time until elk season again but I want to have three elk worthy rifles for the trip....one to hunt, one as a backup and one for the other hunters that just might need a better mousetrap. So Far the .30-06 passes with flying colors.....so two to go!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
300 H&H. Because it is was probably the first " Elk Cartridge "

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My last two 9.3x62s both shot 250 ABs very well with either Varget or RL-15--there wasn't much to choose from in terms of accuracy or velocity. Ditto with the 9.3x74R. Have you tried these?

Last edited by mudhen; 03/09/18.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
vapodog,

It sounds to me like you're trying to work up loads in the .300 H&H and 9.3x62 when there's something faulty with the the barrels or (more likely) the bedding in both rifles. I've owned/shot several rifles in both cartridges, and the only time I had any problem getting good accuracy was in a Ruger No. 1 .300 that needed some minor bedding modification of the forend.

For some reason a lot of handloading hunters still believe that finding the magic "combo" will result in great accuracy, even when their rifle has basic problems. If your rifles won't work with bullets and handloads that work in other .300 H&H and 9.3x62's, then there's something wrong with the rifle, not the load. I'd try a basic handload that usually works in both rifles, and if it doesn't shoot well, fix the rifle before wasting more range time and components.

The other solution would be to use your .30-06. It will easily so the job.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by vapodog
So Far the .30-06 passes with flying colors.

Have you read the Bible?

Do you know what “handwriting on the wall means?”

This is God’s way of telling you what the divine choice is for your hunt... don’t kick against the goads.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
vapodog,

It sounds to me like you're trying to work up loads in the .300 H&H and 9.3x62 when there's something faulty with the the barrels or (more likely) the bedding in both rifles. I've owned/shot several rifles in both cartridges, and the only time I had any problem getting good accuracy was in a Ruger No. 1 .300 that needed some minor bedding modification of the forend.

For some reason a lot of handloading hunters still believe that finding the magic "combo" will result in great accuracy, even when their rifle has basic problems. If your rifles won't work with bullets and handloads that work in other .300 H&H and 9.3x62's, then there's something wrong with the rifle, not the load. I'd try a basic handload that usually works in both rifles, and if it doesn't shoot well, fix the rifle before wasting more range time and components.

The other solution would be to use your .30-06. It will easily so the job.

I'm convinced that the 9.3 X 62 has a bedding problem....and I can fix that.......but the .300 H&H has shot 200 grain A-Frames into very small groups and, believe it or not, also shot very small groups with the 125 ballistic tips.....but while the 168 grain Barnes isn't shooting really poor (Groups slightly over 2") it doesn't meet the standard I want to go on a "spendy" hunt. The .300 H&H is a Remmy 721 that I restocked....the rest is original and functioning very fine. I took it to Africa for plains game twice and like the gun....but have decided to convert to lead free bullets no matter the cost. We shall see if the Nosler bullets are any better.

that said....to your advice, I'll check the bedding to see if something may have changed.

Yes, the .30-06 will do the job.....I know that,

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Why, the one that you haven't killed elk with, of course smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Why, the one that you haven't killed elk with, of course smile

Yup....that's why I'm working on the 9.3 X 62 and the .300 H&H.....further, I haven't killed anything with the 9.3 X 62 so far.

The .300 H&H has killed Kudu, Gemsbok, Zebra, and other plains game as well as whitetails....and I must say it does one bang up job on whitetails with a 200 grain A-Frame

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Adams
Often I can't believe the stuff supposedly experienced hunters worry about on the Campfire. This thread is perfect example. The .30-06 would be plenty with 150-grain monometal bullets of any brand. So would plenty of smaller rounds.

First off I didn't set the rule on one of the state's web sites.

Neither did any of the states.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife check out the link
http://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/EHU-CH2-L09.aspx
The general consensus is that for a broadside shot on an elk you need 1,200 foot-pounds of energy and at least 2,000 foot-pounds for any quartering shot.
Quartering Shot Placement A quartering shot when the animal is partially facing you is the most challenging shot. You have to penetrate heavy, dense muscle tissue and the heavy bone structure of the shoulder and then still have enough bullet and energy left to destroy the vital organs.

Yes I would be one of those hunters that agree. And yes I have shot so many animals there is no way I could count them all. I have been hunting for over 40 years. Have hunted with many calibers. I stand behind everything I said earlier.

For those of you who think 150 grain bullet out of 06 is great 400 yard cartridge. I think you better study your ballistics cause 06 will not carry 2000 lbs energy out to 400 yards with any bullet. If you chose the 150 grain bullet out of the 06 you must hunt where there is no wind cause it sure wouldn't be my choice. Don't see to many long range shooters choosing the .308 150 grain bullet for long range. I'd take a .277 150 grain at 3000 fps or the .284 150 grain bullet at 3000 fps long before I'd chose the .308 150 grain bullet at 3000 fps.

The .243 is a great long range elk cartridge. Good one.

This thread is pretty hilarious though.

God Bless!!!

Last edited by Adams; 03/09/18.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

695 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 78 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,953
Posts18,499,076
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.