Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Some years ago, while hunting on Elk Mountain in Wyoming, I came across a grave marker of two people who had been ambushed and murdered by the notorious train robber and his gang, Big Nose George. His real name was George Parrott.

In 1878, Parrott and his gang murdered two law enforcement officers — Wyoming deputy sheriff Robert Widdowfield and Union Pacific detective Tip Vincent — after a bungled train robbery.[4] Widdowfield and Vincent were ordered to track down Parrott's gang on August 19, 1878, following the attempted robbery on an isolated stretch of track near the Medicine Bow River.[2] The officers traced the outlaws to a camp at Rattlesnake Canyon, near Elk Mountain, where they were spotted by a gang lookout. The robbers stamped out the campfire and hid in a bush. When Widdowfield arrived at the scene, he realized the ashes of the fire were still hot. The gang ambushed the two lawmen, shooting Widdowfield in the face. Vincent tried to escape, but was shot before he made it out of the canyon. The gang took each mans' weapons and one of their horses before covering up the bodies and fleeing the area.

George Parrott was eventually hung and made into a pair of shoes.

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2017/05/george-parrot-man-who-became-pair-of.html

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When we bought our 600 acres in Woodville, MS, there was a logging road right thru the middle of the place. there was a homestead with crape murtles sp? around it , we found some stuff there it's in the woodville thread in "deer hunting section"

there is a tree on the logging road with a chainsaw blade with the chain on, grown into a big hardwood tree, the blade sticks out both sides of the tree. it's been there lord knows how long, I'll try to get pics this weekend.

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe
George Parrott was eventually hung and made into a pair of shoes.

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2017/05/george-parrot-man-who-became-pair-of.html

"Dr. Osborne got into politics and went on to become the first Democratic Governor of Wyoming"................Hmmm, no schit, a democrat you say.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Found a man dead in the road one morning around 0530 . Dad and i were going quail hunting and just drove up on the scene. Guy was already dead. We waited until another came along, then left.

Last edited by hotsoup; 03/07/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
October 3, 1991.......I was scouting for deer on my farm, and smelled the worse odor I'd ever smelled. It was a body, dead at least a week. Turned out to be a Black girl from Indianapolis Indiana, killed and dumped there. The killer, or killers, was never found. Us locals pretty much knew who was involved, but the cops never arrested anyone. It's still listed as a cold case. I guess that's the most interesting thing I've ever found.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been expecting to find a body while shredding rural ranches down here. Not yet.

Have found some stashes of stolen loot.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
One time while out hunting for hickory nuts, my old Daddy found a dead guy hanging in a tree, not 200 yards from where his truck was discovered when he went missing a month earlier. In real life, he was 5'8, but 6'10 when they cut him down................

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Neighboring rancher in NM found a small pickup in a very remote canyon on his place. The windows were black, but not from tinting.

The guy was dead inside the truck from drinking water. He drank like 2 1/2 gallons of water before he popped. Truck and him had been there in the canyon for over 2 years based on when he was reported missing.

They had to remove the front seat of the pickup because he was melded with it. They said he was a big guy. 300 plus pounds when alive.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Found a six pack of beer once, good beer, some kind of microbrew.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Squirrel hunting at age 14 I walked up on some guys stripping a Mustang. I set a new 2 mile Olympic record while carrying a shotgun to get home. At 17 I found the remains of a moonshine still. It had been in operation fairly recently, but had been raided and everything busted up. This would have been in the early 70's BTW.

I live in NW Georgia, in a county bordering Alabama. Twice in the last 20 odd years bad tornadoes have hit in Alabama. Both times we got hammered too, but missed the tornado. This is always at the beginning of turkey season. After both of those I found all sorts of debris in the woods hunting. I found a guys W2 forms with an address 70 miles from here. I mailed them back to the address. I'd hoped for a reply but never heard anything.

After the most recent one I gradually found most of a small metal storage building. Various crumpled sections of it are scattered over a 1-2 square mile section of woods where I hunt. This building had to travel at least 50 miles.

And that is hunting for game. I volunteer with a group that searches for lost/missing persons. We usually don't get called until it is a recovery operation. I've found remains that have been missing for 2 years, and searched for people missing 10. When you're actually looking for stuff it is amazing what you find. Once recovered a cell phone. It wasn't relevant to the person we were looking for, but it had been thrown into a storm drain and washed out into a small creek. Police were able to get evidence off the phone that lead to the convection of a pedophile. I found a brand new stolen John Deere tractor that someone had driven into the woods and covered with a tarp.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deerstalker
hunting on a ridge about 10 miles back in we found a trappers cabin on the edge of a meadow. still had the door on it but the snow of 96-97 had crushed the ridge pole and roof. walls about 3 feet into the ground and 2 feet above. 6 foot roof overhang over the entrance with the stove sleeve just inside the door. the door was split cedar with hand wrought strap hinges.
on the inside of the door were about 50 names scratched or written in pencil. all were dated and started in 1873. there was one that was very interesting. T.Roosevelt 1888

It would be cool to have a snapshot of that!

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Two "I found it while hunting" stories come to mind.

The first happened around 1988 (I was just 20), when I was still hunting in New Brunswick CA., with about 8" of fresh snow on the ground. I was slowly walking diagonally down a ridge, when I completely lost traction, and went straight on my back, sliding in the snow for a few feet. When I got my wits about me, and cleaned the snow off my rifle & scope, I looked to see what caused my fall. After searching in the snow for a short bit, I came across rubber, thin ropes, and lastly a plastic coated label about the size of a POSTED sign. I literally stumbled over a weather balloon. Get this, dated 1959. I mailed it (the tag) in after the trip, with the story, and location of where I found it.

The second was in 2000 while hunting the logging woods on the South Eastern side of Baxter St. Park, in Aroostook County ME. I was hunting the edge of a swamp when I came across the remains of an old logging (hunting?) camp. There was no building left, but there were some (not much) remains of a stone foundation, pots & pans, an old railroad lantern, and the coolest thing was a Revolutionary war era wood stove (it has lots of stars, Eagles adorning the outside) that had caved in on itself over the years. One of the smaller sides would have weighed close to 100lbs. I did take the old railroad lantern, as it was 1/2 in, 1/2 out of the ground (the part that was buried was mostly rust). I had to use the small saw from my pack to cut a 2" thick root that had grown through the lantern handle. It hangs in my garage out back, with all the old hand saw, wood planes, oil cans, and other "cool" (to me) stuff that I like to use to adorn my garage.

Countless beautiful snow covered streams and hardwood ridges, and a lifetime of good memories that a city liberal could never understand.

I've also left more than my share of small (8"-9" total) leather stacked handle, carbon steel gutting knives (guttman/edgemark), in the woods. Is it me, or do they disappear when you put them down? :-) -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First item that comes to mind, was a meth lab in a popup blind. I got the GPS coordinates and called it in.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn't find it while hunting but one of my favorites.

Back in the spring of 2011 we had a major Spring runoff from record snow pack and following the 'flood' I found this. Private property so of course I fished it out of the creek.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Minute ago above the ol' fridge.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lots of arrowheads, horseshoes, Model T Parts, farm tools, axe heads, pocket knives, old Henry .44 rim fire brass and live ammo.

My best find was a rusted shut 1873 Winchester. Rodents had eaten away all the wood stocks. Too rusted up to work the action or see if it was still loaded. Always wondered if it fell out of some Cowboy’s scabbard on a trail drive.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
October 3, 1991.......I was scouting for deer on my farm, and smelled the worse odor I'd ever smelled. It was a body, dead at least a week. Turned out to be a Black girl from Indianapolis Indiana, killed and dumped there. The killer, or killers, was never found. Us locals pretty much knew who was involved, but the cops never arrested anyone. It's still listed as a cold case. I guess that's the most interesting thing I've ever found.

Ha
And we thought they smelled bad alive

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I didn't find it while hunting but one of my favorites.

Back in the spring of 2011 we had a major Spring runoff from record snow pack and following the 'flood' I found this. Private property so of course I fished it out of the creek.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Minute ago above the ol' fridge.

[Linked Image]

That’s cool Sam!!! Friend dug one just like it out of a creek on his Ranch here locally, in a canyon that is known here as Buffalo Gap, where the old time Buffalo Hunters claimed that the main heard passed through in the 1860’s. I found a huge flint Buffalo hide scraper that’s bigger than my hand in the same canyon.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 03/08/18.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That 'wild west' stuff is neater than hell!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A mid-1950s 14 foot LONE STAR johnboat in a dry creek-bed. - I asked the landowner about it & he said, "Please take it out of here, when you leave. It's in the way."
(It now lives on a pond at our farm in NETX.)

Also, some years ago I found a complete Model T Ford engine & transmission sitting out in a pasture. = The landowner said: "NO use to me. You can have it, if you want it."
(Cleaned up & repainted, it now is installed in a 1922 Model T sedan that a Model T Owners Club-member owns/drives in Pittsburg, TX.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While bow hunting north out of Avery, Idaho, I was working my way along a stream and came upon a huge hollowed out tree. It was big enough to stand up inside, Someone had fashioned a [bleep] out of the inside complete with t-paper. Nice find when the need arises.

Found a cemetery that was grown over with markers dating back to the revolutionary war. Near Atlantic, Pa.

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 117LBS, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 39 invisible), 14,959 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,333
Posts18,546,151
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.