Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Since I own a 30-06, I know what I would do ...

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Owl
If you're set on getting another rifle, get a multi tasking rifle. Maybe something that you could use on the dark continent. AK state fish cops use a .375 H&H - think that ought to work for ANYTHING you encountered in AK

Probably overkill, but I'd take this one because I already have it. SS/Tupperware good AK ordinance.

.375 H&H SS NH M-70 Express, chopped to 21" and fluted. Not overly heavy; the .375 H&H is a very versatile round for the handloader. I bought this one used for $850, spent a few bucks on NECG irons and other work. This big scope could be replaced with a VX-3 1.5-5x20 and the rig would weigh 8 3/4 #'s. It's a tad over 9 #'s with the 1.5-6x42 Victory. Still under $1,500 with the VX-3.

DF

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
as a result of your bear concern I would go 300 or 338 win mag on a Winchester controlled feed action.bear issues can arise but are rare.just use a quality bullet.good hunting

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by BCHunter666
I have been invited to Fairbanks area a year from September for moose. I have never been up there, so looking for the perfect rifle to take, which I have quite a few. please give me recommendation's both for moose and for any other critters that might lurk and want to eat me for lunch or something. Try to keep the entire package at $1500 or less if you can. I will load my own, am thinking of a 338-06, but don't want to be stymied in stores if for some reason my ammo does not show up. looking for help !

thanks

Put your ammo in the gun case. Then you will have it, if you have your rifle. Pretty easy anyway.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Owl
If you're set on getting another rifle, get a multi tasking rifle. Maybe something that you could use on the dark continent. AK state fish cops use a .375 H&H - think that ought to work for ANYTHING you encountered in AK

Probably overkill, but I'd take this one because I already have it. SS/Tupperware good AK ordinance.

.375 H&H SS NH M-70 Express, chopped to 21" and fluted. Not overly heavy; the .375 H&H is a very versatile round for the handloader. I bought this one used for $850, spent a few bucks on NECG irons and other work. This big scope could be replaced with a VX-3 1.5-5x20 and the rig would weigh 8 3/4 #'s. It's a tad over 9 #'s with the 1.5-6x42 Victory. Still under $1,500 with the VX-3.

DF

[Linked Image]

I went very similar to this route. Montana 1999 20" stainless in a B&C stock with a VX6 1-6. I tip 8# even empty and it's a dream to shoot.

Hunt Africa while you can
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rnovi
Originally Posted by Owl

DF

[Linked Image]

I went very similar to this route. Montana 1999 20" stainless in a B&C stock with a VX6 1-6. I tip 8# even empty and it's a dream to shoot.

Sounds like a nice one, I like the VX-6 1-6, too.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
30-06 has probably slayed more moose in Alaska than any other caiber.

+1.
I will bet the '06 has killed more bears too.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ is your answer. Even if it may not be what you want to hear,

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
moose hunt ? versatility tuff to beat 338 win.mag and ammo is easy to get if needed

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BCJR
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
30-06 has probably slayed more moose in Alaska than any other caiber.

+1.
I will bet the '06 has killed more bears too.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ is your answer. Even if it may not be what you want to hear,

Mike McDonald, retired chief biologist for ADF&G, once told me that more brown and grizzly bears were killed in defense of life & property (DLP) with a .30-06 and 180gr cup & core bullets than any other combo. This was based on the necropsies and reports that have to be filed with ADF&G on every DLP case.

If the OP is comfortable with a .300WM, I say go forth, buy a stainless/synthetic .300WM, put a good 3-9x on it, load it with premium 180gr bullets and go kill stuff. My surrogate Dad killed several Interior Grizzlies, and I don't know how many moose, with his Colt-Sauer .300WM and dropped them all without issue.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't listen to these guys. You HAVE to have a Merkel 470NE or even a 500 to hunt up here. Those moose can be super dangerous if you wound one with a measly little 30-06, and the bears will soak up 375H&H rounds all day long, so don't even think about trying to use something as anemic as that.
And, then you have the added bonus of a super quick follow up shot, or hell, even both barrels at the same time if you really feel you want to put the beast out of their misery instantly.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Owl

DF

[Linked Image]

DF

Don't laugh too hard when I tell you that your Winnie is a supermodel compared to my rifle! Gawd is my Montana one ugly beast! LMAO!

But it does throw 300 gr. Partitions and TSX's into 3/4" groups. Ugly or not, that thing is a wonderful tool!

Hunt Africa while you can
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been invited to Fairbanks area a year from September for moose. I have never been up there, so looking for the perfect rifle to take, which I have quite a few. please give me recommendation's both for moose and for any other critters that might lurk and want to eat me for lunch or something. Try to keep the entire package at $1500 or less if you can. I will load my own, am thinking of a 338-06, but don't want to be stymied in stores if for some reason my ammo does not show up. looking for help !

thanks

The rifle calibers you will see the most around Fairbanks during moose season are the .30-06, .300WM, and .338WM. The 30-06 and loads with 180-grain NOS or other bullets should be just fine, or a .300 with the same bullets. If you want more punch from a bullet, the .338WM with a 250-grain NOS Partition will be great, but my favorite is the 225-grain Barnes TTS-X (tipped) as an all around bullet. The choice is yours; just pick the one you can shoot well.

While stainless steel rifles are a good idea if raining, snowing, or a mix of both, a lot of hunters around here also carry blued rifles. I got .338's in both finishes, and keep the rust off the non-stainless one by cleaning it at the campsite at night. Never had any trouble with rust. Anyway, the .338 Ruger Hawkeye African I have (sort of a blue dull finish) is my favorite. It does not have a muzzle brake like the other African versions, has a 22" barrel, and express sights. I installed a Leupold scope that has a #4 reticle with an illuminated dot in the middle. I put the great-looking walnut stock away, and bought a McMillan plus a Decelerator recoil pad that is fitted for a 12.5" LOP. No problems with recoil for me. The bolt is smooth as silk, and also of a gray dull finish.

Mine is this one, except that it was a custom built without a brake, and also with a sort of parkerized (?) finish, even on the bolt, instead of the shiny one you see here:
https://ruger.com/products/HawkeyeAfrican/specSheets/47120.html

Last edited by Ray; 03/06/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used a .338 Winny on moose, caribou and bears for a little over 40 years and a custom Mod. 70 "Stainless Classic" since the 80's along with the wonderful Barnes X bullets. It has all the "right stuff" for a long moose shot or a close big bear shot. It weighs about 8.5 lbs. with a Leupold VX5-HD 2-10x42mm and a Mag na Ported 23" barrel, Bansners stock and four 225 grain TTSX in the magazine. I really can't imagine an Alaskan hunting scenario this rifle and bullet combo can't handle.

We have four of those "Stainless Classic" Mod.70's with the wonderful old style trigger. Rifles come and go, but these always stay with us.

I feel the same way about my customized Pre-64 Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06 and the 168 grain TTSX bullet. Those rifles, those bullets will cover it all, take your pick and go kill a big moose.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Model 71 Winchester...in .348.

Moose hunting is always fun.....until some damn fool goes and shoots a frizzin' moose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My primary hunting rifle is aT3 Lite in .30-06. It kills meese just fine and DLPd plenty of coastal brown bears. I stopped counting after I finally whacked one I could snap a tag on in 2010.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Owl

DF

[Linked Image]

DF

Don't laugh too hard when I tell you that your Winnie is a supermodel compared to my rifle! Gawd is my Montana one ugly beast! LMAO!

But it does throw 300 gr. Partitions and TSX's into 3/4" groups. Ugly or not, that thing is a wonderful tool!

That brings to mind Phil's "Old Ugly", his .458 Win Mauser "using gun" for big bear backup.

Pretty is as pretty does... grin

DF

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
thanks for this reply....just what I was looking for, someone with obvious experience and insight into the area.

Originally Posted by Ray

thanks

The rifle calibers you will see the most around Fairbanks during moose season are the .30-06, .300WM, and .338WM. The 30-06 and loads with 180-grain NOS or other bullets should be just fine, or a .300 with the same bullets. If you want more punch from a bullet, the .338WM with a 250-grain NOS Partition will be great, but my favorite is the 225-grain Barnes TTS-X (tipped) as an all around bullet. The choice is yours; just pick the one you can shoot well.

While stainless steel rifles are a good idea if raining, snowing, or a mix of both, a lot of hunters around here also carry blued rifles. I got .338's in both finishes, and keep the rust off the non-stainless one by cleaning it at the campsite at night. Never had any trouble with rust. Anyway, the .338 Ruger Hawkeye African I have (sort of a blue dull finish) is my favorite. It does not have a muzzle brake like the other African versions, has a 22" barrel, and express sights. I installed a Leupold scope that has a #4 reticle with an illuminated dot in the middle. I put the great-looking walnut stock away, and bought a McMillan plus a Decelerator recoil pad that is fitted for a 12.5" LOP. No problems with recoil for me. The bolt is smooth as silk, and also of a gray dull finish.

Mine is this one, except that it was a custom built without a brake, and also with a sort of parkerized (?) finish, even on the bolt, instead of the shiny one you see here:
https://ruger.com/products/HawkeyeAfrican/specSheets/47120.html

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
[Linked Image]
[/quote]

Hey DF,
A few questions about your stock. What brand Tupperware is it and was the fore end shortened? If it's not shortened would you happen to know the OAL of the stock? TIA

Earl

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
rnovi,

This M-70 shoots pretty good, too. This is a Cutting Edge Bullet target. That's an interesting bullet, sort of a mono Partition. It has petals that spin off, the core bores on thru.

I've killed stuff with the .308 version, great terminal performance, also very accurate.

I've read that these bullets aren't the best in thick country, can start coming apart too early if they hit brush. In open country they should be deadly.

They're sorta expensive, but how many does one actually shoot while hunting. Practice with cheaper bullets.

Lighter bullets don't kick as hard as heavier ones. This is a pleasant load in this gun, which is slightly heavier that yours, packs well.

DF

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Hey DF,
A few questions about your stock. What brand Tupperware is it and was the fore end shortened? If it's not shortened would you happen to know the OAL of the stock? TIA

Earl

Earl,

Just the standard New Haven Winchester factory Tupperware. No alterations other than bedding. I can measure stock OAL when I get home from the office. LOP is std. 13.5". It comes up quick and with the shorter 21" barrel, handles fast. The original 24" barrel was way too heavy, handled like a club. Chopping and fluting really helped balance, made it much handier.

I did re-do the bedding with Steel Bed. It's a tough stock and I like the shape.

DF

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,808
Posts18,477,541
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.