Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thinking of possibly using a Tikka Superlight in 7mm Rem Mag for a long range,light weight hunting rifle. What are the best light weight stock options available today? I did some searching but most info I found was several years old. I thought there may be some newer options available now.

Isn't the Tikka Superlight one of the lightest rifles available in 7mm Rem Mag?

If anyone has set one up for a long range hunting rifle.I would love to hear exactly how you set it up and what results and accuracy you are getting. I would also like to hear any reason it would be a bad idea.

GB1

B
B
I had a buddy come over and show me his new gun, lone peak titanium, proof carbon in an eh2 manners and it blew my mind the sum of quality components that were that lite. The eh2 with the palm swell and high cheek piece fit me like a glove. I have several tikka t3 and ordered one off snipers hide group buy. It is a eh1 with a tikka t3 mini chasis. It will eventually be a 7saum with a proof carbon barrel. Should be fairly lite.

B
B
manners new tikka offering only comes in short action, for 7rm you could get mcs-t elite hunter but would have to buy cdi dtm and run a magazine. Mcmillian you could go sako hunter edge fill and run factory bottom metal and factory mag.

B
B
I misspoke, the manners tikka stock you can get in long action also, the short action only offering is their new 2018 prs model and the eh1. Although I don't think the standard tikka stock lends itself well to long range shooting.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by black_bart
I misspoke, the manners tikka stock you can get in long action also, the short action only offering is their new 2018 prs model and the eh1. Although I don't think the standard tikka stock lends itself well to long range shooting.

I'm sure my definition of long range isn't the same as what would be considered long range today. I was thinking long range hunting which for me would be in the 600 yard range.

What I'm interested in is a light weight stiff stock that lends it'self to all hunting and can be used for longer shots, more so than a specialized long range stock.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve got a Superlite in 270 Win with Warne rings and SS 3x9. Weighs 7lbs 8 ounces loaded. Not sure if you want lighter than that, but a 7 Rem would weigh about the same. The plain old Tikka SL isn’t bad at all.

Are you looking to change to save weight or just get another style stock?

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
McMillan should be obvious...

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’ve got a Superlite in 270 Win with Warne rings and SS 3x9. Weighs 7lbs 8 ounces loaded. Not sure if you want lighter than that, but a 7 Rem would weigh about the same. The plain old Tikka SL isn’t bad at all.

I had my doubts that an aftermarket stock would be much lighter. I was under the impression that a higher quality stiffer stock could help in accuracy,mostly in the consistency of accuracy.

I'm not even sure yet if I'm going with a Tikka. Part of that choice decision would be depending on what stocks are available. I knew about the Manners and MCMillan stocks,but was wondering if anything else high quality had become available.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 03/06/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've sure been happy with my Superlite 7MM-08 in a Hunters Edge. Its not that much lighter weight than the factory stock which isn't bad but the Edge just fits me a bit better. I just did the same to a new SL 6.5 Creedmoor which should be equally nice when I get it out in the field.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just received my McMillan Sako hunter with Edge fill. It has a 14” LOP as well so bit longer than normal. Here is the weight

Factory T3x stock - 1lb 12.5oz
McMillan stock - 1lb 11.8oz

Not much of a difference but there, but when it comes to fitting me like it does, it’s well worth it.

Maybe useless info for ya I don’t know.

Rob
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by beretzs

I had my doubts that an aftermarket stock would be much lighter. I was under the impression that a higher quality stiffer stock could help in accuracy,mostly in the consistency of accuracy.

I'm not even sure yet if I'm going with a Tikka. Part of that choice decision would be depending on what stocks are available. I knew about the Manners and MCMillan stocks,but was wondering if anything else high quality had become available.

I would try the stock first before replacing it. If it doesn't fit or work for you, then ditch it. Mine seem to work okay for me and aren't the plastic stocks of old. They aren't McM's, but they don't suck either.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Rob, I am surprised the mcmillan edge fill is that heavy, I'd have guessed closer to 24 ounces!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Rob, I am surprised the mcmillan edge fill is that heavy, I'd have guessed closer to 24 ounces!

I was surprised it was that close to the factory stock as well.

Rob
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
I've sure been happy with my Superlite 7MM-08 in a Hunters Edge. Its not that much lighter weight than the factory stock which isn't bad but the Edge just fits me a bit better. I just did the same to a new SL 6.5 Creedmoor which should be equally nice when I get it out in the field.

Thanks to you I've got the Hunters Edge for my T3x 6.5 Wheed (Whittakers Creed)... Very nice stock!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Wildcat composites.... 17oz blank - typically finish right around 19/20oz

[Linked Image]

Last edited by bigJ; 03/08/18.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Very nice bigJ. I forgot Stuart said he was doing a Tikka stock. Great guy to deal with and I really like his stocks.
Did you do the finishing or did you have it done?

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bigJ
Wildcat composites.... 17oz blank - typically finish right around 19/20oz

[Linked Image]

Thanks my friend. That's the kind of info I was looking for. I'l have to look into them and see what I can find out. Do they require a lot of finish work? Can you give a quick synopsis?

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
AKwolverine
I finish them myself. I will say that of all the blanks I’ve used of his, this new tikka pattern was the least amount of work to finish.

R-H-Clark
They are available in multiple levels of completion. Also new to this mold is the option of cast in aluminum pillars. This tikka pattern is a dimensional copy of the wood stocked tikka.

Anyways, as a basic blank you will need to:
-fill and sand the mold seams down both sides of the stock.
-Cut the butt stock to desired length and glue on a recoil pad.
-drill and tap the two aluminum blocks to accept swivel studs.
-bed and paint the stock

You can have them fill and sand the seams, add studs etc for additional fees. And as a relatively new offering to Canadians, he offers a completely finished version including paint or hydrodipped finish covered in his new rubberized protection layer.

If you google “wildcat composites Facebook” you can see some of his own progress pictures etc or google “wildcat composites” to view his website. (The website only lists his tikka pattern in the price list - no pictures there.)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 63 invisible), 3,030 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,490
Posts18,471,914
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.