Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've owned 4 Tikkas and one X-Bolt, thinking about it just now, I guess my X-Bolt is the hunting rifle I've kept the longest, I tend to go though them. I like both but would give the advantage to the X-Bolt for hunting, I really like the 60 deg bolt throw, ergonomics, magazine design, and safety set up. The accuracy with both has been excellent, but my Browning has been one of the few light hunting rifles I've shot that keeps stacking rounds after the barrel gets hot.

The trigger was always on the high end of where I like so I finally installed an MCarbo spring this year. Installation was super easy, and when I was done I had to adjust the weight up a bit to get to the ~2.75 lb I wanted.

Several days of hiking in -2 to 35 deg weather with snow getting packed all around, freezing and thawing, etc didn't cause me any problems this year when it came time to shoot.

[Linked Image]

GB1

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Trystan
I prefer the Tikka however I only buy the ones that are twisted right which limits one to 6.5s or 223

Recently Browning hit a homerun with there new long range rifle with the 300 win mag, 7 rem mag, and 28 nosler being 8 twist!
The 6.5 creedmoor, and 26 nosler are 7 twist.

I've personally handloaded for the 300 win mag Browning and can attest to the quality barrels browning is now putting on there rifles imported from a Japanese barrel manufacturer. The barrels are hand chambered and lapped and the last 50 rounds thru the rifle produced virtually zero copper fouling. Yes I was impressed and though I'm a hardcore tikka fan I will be adding a Hells Canyon 8 twist 300 win mag to my Arsenal

Trystan

I’ve got a 7mag LR Stalker. Not only is it twisted correctly for the heavies, the magazine is actually long enough for me to seat a 180eldm to the lands(or throat short enough, either way you look at it).

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JeffRaines
Originally Posted by Trystan
I prefer the Tikka however I only buy the ones that are twisted right which limits one to 6.5s or 223

Recently Browning hit a homerun with there new long range rifle with the 300 win mag, 7 rem mag, and 28 nosler being 8 twist!
The 6.5 creedmoor, and 26 nosler are 7 twist.

I've personally handloaded for the 300 win mag Browning and can attest to the quality barrels browning is now putting on there rifles imported from a Japanese barrel manufacturer. The barrels are hand chambered and lapped and the last 50 rounds thru the rifle produced virtually zero copper fouling. Yes I was impressed and though I'm a hardcore tikka fan I will be adding a Hells Canyon 8 twist 300 win mag to my Arsenal

Trystan

I’ve got a 7mag LR Stalker. Not only is it twisted correctly for the heavies, the magazine is actually long enough for me to seat a 180eldm to the lands(or throat short enough, either way you look at it).

Jeff, the 300 win mag magazine I measured had 3.56 of room. It was a bit short for the long bullets but usable.........I figured probably perfect for a 7 mag. I think the 7 mag would even impress Big Stick 😁

Gtscotty, I didn't mention it but I also found that the Browning I loaded for recently would stack em whether the barrel is cold or hot didn't matter.

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 12/07/18.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you have to own a Browning to get a Browning tattoo? Asking for a friend.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When you flip the tow mirrors out on your Cummins without a load, does a Browning sticker magically appear on your back glass?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking at the XBolt Walnut Hunter in 375 H&H. Either that or the Weatherby Vanguard in 375 but I'm leaning Browning.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
I'm looking at the XBolt Walnut Hunter in 375 H&H. Either that or the Weatherby Vanguard in 375 but I'm leaning Browning.

And I bought the XBolt off GB. Can't wait til it gets here. I just pray it doesn't fall apart if I take it near Alaska. LOL

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

And I bought the XBolt off GB. Can't wait til it gets here. I just pray it doesn't fall apart if I take it near Alaska. LOL

Dip it in mobil one . Should last at least a few days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good choice.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Moose Mike, report back once you play with that thing. Seems like it would rock pretty hard being a 375 in a relatively light package. That being said the recoil pad is excellent as are the ergos. My 30-06 recoils less than I expect.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bisley
Moose Mike, report back once you play with that thing. Seems like it would rock pretty hard being a 375 in a relatively light package. That being said the recoil pad is excellent as are the ergos. My 30-06 recoils less than I expect.

I will. I'm concerned it's on the light side too but I got it brand new on GB for $650 after mail in rebate so I couldn't pass.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

laugh

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Bisley

I will. I'm concerned it's on the light side too but I got it brand new on GB for $650 after mail in rebate so I couldn't pass.

Hell of a deal! Look forward to a report.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Nope.

It's a well-known fact that A-bolts and X-bolts will literally explode if taken near Alaska. The Mobil 1 trick will only provide limited protection from self-destruction when hunting West of Missouri and then very limited protection.

Any good rifleman knows that Brownings can only safely exist South of the Carolinas.

I think these kind of rumors got started in by an outfitter my BIL hunts with in Saskatchewan; these are the same knuckle-heads that think it takes a 300 WM to take down a Canadian whitetail.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Nope.

It's a well-known fact that A-bolts and X-bolts will literally explode if taken near Alaska. The Mobil 1 trick will only provide limited protection from self-destruction when hunting West of Missouri and then very limited protection.

Any good rifleman knows that Brownings can only safely exist South of the Carolinas.

I think these kind of rumors got started in by an outfitter my BIL hunts with in Saskatchewan; these are the same knuckle-heads that think it takes a 300 WM to take down a Canadian whitetail.

Need to move your line north just a little bit. X-Bolts and A-Bolts work amazingly well here in southern VA! grin

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I scored a vanguard dangerous game rifle in 375HH for 800 bucks, sweet gun.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Lhltr
So I’ve been looking at the Browning X-bolt Hells Canyon Speed in 6.5 creedmoor. Then a friend mentions looking at a Tikka T3x lite.

Now I’m up in the air and back at square one.

I’m looking to mainly deer/antelope hunt with it. Maybe more. Want something pretty rugged and liked the cerakote on browning. Everything Ive looked at recently says tikka action is a bit smoother with better accuracy. I’ll probably mostly use factory loads. I don’t feel I’m capable as a shooter to push it past 300 yds on a game animal.
What do you guys think? What are your experiences with these rifles/brands? Thanks for the input!

Luke

You might also want to consider the Mauser M18 in 6.5 CM. It can be had for less than $600 shipped on GB and weighs in at 6.4lbs. I own several T3s and very happy with them too.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/789497488

Regards,

SD

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Nope.

I was told a 338 was borderline for Canadian Whitetails. Browning rumors were started by a Alaskan who must have guided a Browning Exec on a hunt and never left a tip.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by VAhuntr

Nope.

Need to move your line north just a little bit. X-Bolts and A-Bolts work amazingly well here in southern VA! grin

You need to play the lotto tonite. No one can get that lucky

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had 2 Abolts, and an Xbolt in 7-08 all compact, and a Tikka T3 in .270W. The only one still in my safe is the Tikka. Never could warm up to the Brownings, they shot pretty well but not as good as my Tikka. The Xbolt felt too 'chubby' in my hand carrying it. I think the Tikka trigger is the factor that makes it shoot so well for me.
I will add that the Ruger American Compact SS is an inexpensive rifle at 1/2 the cost that gives both the Browning and Tikka's a run for their money and is my go to deer rifle in 7-08. My choices are limited since I am a left hander...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 1936M71, 54 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,653
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.