Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Lhltr Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
So I’ve been looking at the Browning X-bolt Hells Canyon Speed in 6.5 creedmoor. Then a friend mentions looking at a Tikka T3x lite.

Now I’m up in the air and back at square one.

I’m looking to mainly deer/antelope hunt with it. Maybe more. Want something pretty rugged and liked the cerakote on browning. Everything Ive looked at recently says tikka action is a bit smoother with better accuracy. I’ll probably mostly use factory loads. I don’t feel I’m capable as a shooter to push it past 300 yds on a game animal.
What do you guys think? What are your experiences with these rifles/brands? Thanks for the input!

Luke

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tikka

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
This is a tough decision as I have owned a number of X-Bolts and Tikka rifles, both are excellent rifles IMO, if price matters go with the Tikka if not I'd go with the Browning as it is mighty cool......Good luck...Hb

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Like Hb, I own both. Overall, I slightly prefer the X-Bolt, but for the money, the Tikka is hard to beat, and is a great value. Either should be a reliable, accurate rifle for you. Good luck and shoot straight.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Had both an xbolt hunter and 1st gen tikka. Both are good, but I wouldn’t get another xbolt: it’s a black box. Tikka has all the aftermarket support you could ever want if your shooting evolves into something different.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
tough choice... the tikka is less money, but I like the ergos of the xbolt.

go xbolt

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
tough choice... the tikka is less money, but I like the ergos of the xbolt.

go xbolt

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My choice would be the x-bolt.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Rugged? Get the Tikka stainless.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Tikka is the very easy choice between those two.

If for no other reason than the terrible trigger on the Xbolt.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

IC B3

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have an A-bolt, a X-bolt, a handful of T3s and a T3x. All of these rifles are dead-nuts accurate and lock the bolt down when the safety is on, which is a must-have for me. In my view, the X-bolt is a far better designed rifle than the A-bolt. I guess I could also argue that the replacement of the T3 aluminum and poly parts with steel ones in the T3x is an improvement, but I honestly believe that it is only by a small margin.

I have a safe full of elk hunting rifles, but I find myself using my stainless/synthetic 30-06 Tikka more than all the others combined. It has a straight forward simple design and has proven to be reliable in some pretty harsh conditions. I can field strip the bolt in 15 seconds and the single stack magazine has never failed to function. I wish it had an open trigger group, but I have not had any real issues with its enclosed system. So, I am recommending that you see how the T3x fits you, and if does-that is the one you need to have. CP.

L
Lhltr Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Thanks for all the input guys!

I was able to find a Tikka CTR in 308 at a local gun show today. I really wanted that 6.5 but thought I got a pretty good deal at $700.

I guess that 6.5 X-bolt will be next on the list!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a CTR in 308 in a walnut stock, and that rifle puts ever shot in the same hole regardless of the ammo I feed it.

I also have a bone stock T3x Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor that I will scope and ring out next. Have no doubt it will shoot well under minute of deer.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Having owned both I prefer the Tikka T3x. If they were priced the same I'd say flip a coin. Either way you will most likely come out with a very accurate hunting rifle.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I own both and love them equally. My Tikka is a CTR which to me fills a totally different role than an X-Bolt. The CTR being a 10 round box-fed bull barrel rifle, not my first choice as a hunting rifle. I use it for PRS competitions and it hangs easily with rigs costing 5 times as much. The knock I hear constantly about the X-bolt is the trigger, I see where Timney is now making one. I don't have a problem with the factory one, but there is a solution for those who do. I do like the ability to have the safety on and unlock the bolt on the X-bolt.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Buddy just bought a Hells canyon Long Range in 6.5 Creedmoor, sighting it in with Hornady 140 match (white box) shot just over half inch groups. I couldn't believe how accurate it was. My daughters Micro Midas 7mm-08, shoots .75 with Hornady "LITE" ammo

The Brownings trigger is great, a little heavy for me. I would buy a JARD drop in Timney makes one now.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm having the same problem as the OP. I am in the market for a fairly lightweight, rugged, accurate, rifle that I will use primarily for deer, but would also be suitable for elk. I have narrowed it down to the X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed, and the Tikka Stainless Laminate, .270/.280/.30-06. I have handled the Browning quite a bit, and I love the feel. I can't find a Tikka locally, but this coming weekend we are going to visit friends, he is a big Tikka fan and has several that I can check out. Right now I am leaning more toward a Tikka because of durability/dependability. I have heard stories about X bolts having trigger problems??

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Xbolt has the better magazine and it is not even close. The trigger can be resolved with an Ernie the Gunsmith spring for 6 bucks. Tikka T3x priced itself out . I bought my last one for 600 and change.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve never seen a Tikka tramp stamp or a Tikka sticker on the back of a road hunter’s 1994 Z71. I vote Tikka

Last edited by Travis13; 12/04/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Xbolt has the better magazine and it is not even close. The trigger can be resolved with an Ernie the Gunsmith spring for 6 bucks. Tikka T3x priced itself out . I bought my last one for 600 and change.

This. ^^^

I just bought a Tikka T3X from Mountain Tactical for $575 couldn't resist, but I agree for what they're priced at, I'll spend a few more dollars and go elsewhere.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Travis13
I’ve never seen a Tikka tramp stamp or a Tikka sticker on the back of road hunter’s 1994 Z71. I vote Tikka

Believe it or not, this is part of the reason I am leaning Tikka. It's more of a riflemans rifle. No gimmicks.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

[Linked Image]

Hell's Canyon Speed Long Range, 26 Nosler.

[Linked Image]

Liking this one!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
love my 30-06 Xbolt, the ergos sold me on the rifle. Mcarbo sells a trigger spring. I installed one in my rifle last year, the trigger pull maybe too light now. I may adjust the trigger weight up some after season.. Rifle shoots itty bitty groups.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If you are going away from traditional blue and walnut , the Browning has a lot of redeeming qualities. Of course they are only good below the 60th parralel since they apparently disintegrate above that .

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I own one Tikka in 243 Win. and I love it. I ordered a Tikka stainless fluted in .223 Rem which was on order for 6 months (I live in Romania). I got tired of waiting and "settled for" a stainless Browning X-Bolt. After shooting and hunting with the X-Bolt for a year, I decided to get another stainless 30-06. I walked right passed the Tikka order counter and ordered another Browning X-Bolt. I've had it for about a year now and I'm very happy I got the Browning, And I love Tikka's. RJ

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have many hunting rifles from pretty much every manufacturer, my favorite to carry around is my X-bolt HC speed 6.5 Creedmoor. Light, handles great, very accurate, trigger breaks clean at 2lbs every time with the Mcarbo spring.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
where did you get your spring kit?

NM. I found it.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 12/05/18.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have an Xbolt Hells Canyon Speed in 7mm-08 and love it. It shoots the 120 grain Barnes ttsx 3100 fps and they cluster in tiny groups. I've had several Tikkas and have never been able to warm up to them despite the fact that they are accurate. I will be buying another Xbolt in 300 Win Mag to take care of the critters that the 7mm-08 may not be ideal for. I'm liking the Western hunter.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I never expected so much love for the X-bolt! The Fire is a notoriously hostile place for X-bolts.
I found a Hells Canyon Speed X-bolt on Gunbroker for $900. That's about the best price I have seen on them. Chambered in .30-06, I think it's worth a shot.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by miguel
I never expected so much love for the X-bolt! The Fire is a notoriously hostile place for X-bolts.
I found a Hells Canyon Speed X-bolt on Gunbroker for $900. That's about the best price I have seen on them. Chambered in .30-06, I think it's worth a shot.

I looked at that same rifle next weekend, very nice rifle. The fire is a notoriously hostile place for anything but this weeks Rifle Flavor. The Alaskan guys think Abolts dissolve when used in their extreme harsh environment. I have not heard too many of them complain about X bolts yet.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
You will have to spend $10 on an Mcarbo spring kit for the Xbolt where the Tikka trigger will probably adjust light enough to suit you.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

I looked at that same rifle next weekend, very nice rifle. The fire is a notoriously hostile place for anything but this weeks Rifle Flavor. The Alaskan guys think Abolts dissolve when used in their extreme harsh environment. I have not heard too many of them complain about X bolts yet.

Seem to work just fine in the Texas hill country!

[Linked Image]

My oldest son circa 2004 with an A-Bolt in 300 Win Mag!

[Linked Image]

Just to be sure it held together, I gave it a Krylon Rattle-Can security coat!

[Linked Image]
and my favorite A-Bolt, a Micro Medallion in 7mm-08 from the same period!

Neither have yet melted from the Texas heat!

ya!

GWB

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If you are going away from traditional blue and walnut , the Browning has a lot of redeeming qualities.

Are there any issues with blue/walnut x-bolts?

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I would go for the x-bolt. Love the tang safety/bolt lock/release deal. Never fell in love with tikkas

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bluestem
If you are going away from traditional blue and walnut , the Browning has a lot of redeeming qualities.

Are there any issues with blue/walnut x-bolts?

I was referring to the X bolt styling in wood and blued steel. It is not tradional and turns off some people. It has nothing to do with the design or construction of an Xbolt.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Iast spring I compared both in store only. I liked the browning stock better (hells canyon speed). the bolt smoothness was a toss up as was the trigger feel - i am only a deer hunter and not a long range shooter so the trigger was good enough for me. I liked the tang safety on the browning. there was a $100 rebate at the time so I went browning x bolt.
I'm not into modifying and messing with guns - Find a reasonable load, take them out and kill deer. put them away til next season.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't let them fool you. I've met more people in Alaska that hunt with Browning A-bolts and X-bolts than any other state I've lived in. I went on several hunts with a former co-worker that hunted with nothing but a Browning until his new wife bought him a Savage 116 Bear hunter in .338WM.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I prefer the Tikka however I only buy the ones that are twisted right which limits one to 6.5s or 223

Recently Browning hit a homerun with there new long range rifle with the 300 win mag, 7 rem mag, and 28 nosler being 8 twist!
The 6.5 creedmoor, and 26 nosler are 7 twist.

I've personally handloaded for the 300 win mag Browning and can attest to the quality barrels browning is now putting on there rifles imported from a Japanese barrel manufacturer. The barrels are hand chambered and lapped and the last 50 rounds thru the rifle produced virtually zero copper fouling. Yes I was impressed and though I'm a hardcore tikka fan I will be adding a Hells Canyon 8 twist 300 win mag to my Arsenal

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
How's the finish holding up on those Hell's Canyon Speed X-bolts?

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I own both and prefer the Browning. Have owned three x-bolts and all have been extremely accurate, functioned perfectly and smoothly. I prefer the 3 lug bolt and unlock feature on the bolt handle. Tang safety is handy. If I hunted Alaska frequently where Brownings wither away before your eyes I may have a differerent opinion.

I've owned two T3's which were also accurate but not as good as the X-bolts. I agree with Trystan, the barrels are excellent quality with minimal chamber dimensions. Very little case stretch on fired cases.

Last edited by Horseman; 12/07/18.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've owned 4 Tikkas and one X-Bolt, thinking about it just now, I guess my X-Bolt is the hunting rifle I've kept the longest, I tend to go though them. I like both but would give the advantage to the X-Bolt for hunting, I really like the 60 deg bolt throw, ergonomics, magazine design, and safety set up. The accuracy with both has been excellent, but my Browning has been one of the few light hunting rifles I've shot that keeps stacking rounds after the barrel gets hot.

The trigger was always on the high end of where I like so I finally installed an MCarbo spring this year. Installation was super easy, and when I was done I had to adjust the weight up a bit to get to the ~2.75 lb I wanted.

Several days of hiking in -2 to 35 deg weather with snow getting packed all around, freezing and thawing, etc didn't cause me any problems this year when it came time to shoot.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Trystan
I prefer the Tikka however I only buy the ones that are twisted right which limits one to 6.5s or 223

Recently Browning hit a homerun with there new long range rifle with the 300 win mag, 7 rem mag, and 28 nosler being 8 twist!

I've personally handloaded for the 300 win mag Browning and can attest to the quality barrels browning is now putting on there rifles imported from a Japanese barrel manufacturer. The barrels are hand chambered and lapped and the last 50 rounds thru the rifle produced virtually zero copper fouling. Yes I was impressed and though I'm a hardcore tikka fan I will be adding a Hells Canyon 8 twist 300 win mag to my Arsenal

Trystan

I’ve got a 7mag LR Stalker. Not only is it twisted correctly for the heavies, the magazine is actually long enough for me to seat a 180eldm to the lands(or throat short enough, either way you look at it).

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JeffRaines
Originally Posted by Trystan

Trystan

I’ve got a 7mag LR Stalker. Not only is it twisted correctly for the heavies, the magazine is actually long enough for me to seat a 180eldm to the lands(or throat short enough, either way you look at it).

Jeff, the 300 win mag magazine I measured had 3.56 of room. It was a bit short for the long bullets but usable.........I figured probably perfect for a 7 mag. I think the 7 mag would even impress Big Stick 😁

Gtscotty, I didn't mention it but I also found that the Browning I loaded for recently would stack em whether the barrel is cold or hot didn't matter.

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 12/07/18.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you have to own a Browning to get a Browning tattoo? Asking for a friend.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When you flip the tow mirrors out on your Cummins without a load, does a Browning sticker magically appear on your back glass?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking at the XBolt Walnut Hunter in 375 H&H. Either that or the Weatherby Vanguard in 375 but I'm leaning Browning.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
I'm looking at the XBolt Walnut Hunter in 375 H&H. Either that or the Weatherby Vanguard in 375 but I'm leaning Browning.

And I bought the XBolt off GB. Can't wait til it gets here. I just pray it doesn't fall apart if I take it near Alaska. LOL

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

And I bought the XBolt off GB. Can't wait til it gets here. I just pray it doesn't fall apart if I take it near Alaska. LOL

Dip it in mobil one . Should last at least a few days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good choice.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Moose Mike, report back once you play with that thing. Seems like it would rock pretty hard being a 375 in a relatively light package. That being said the recoil pad is excellent as are the ergos. My 30-06 recoils less than I expect.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bisley
Moose Mike, report back once you play with that thing. Seems like it would rock pretty hard being a 375 in a relatively light package. That being said the recoil pad is excellent as are the ergos. My 30-06 recoils less than I expect.

I will. I'm concerned it's on the light side too but I got it brand new on GB for $650 after mail in rebate so I couldn't pass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

laugh

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Bisley

I will. I'm concerned it's on the light side too but I got it brand new on GB for $650 after mail in rebate so I couldn't pass.

Hell of a deal! Look forward to a report.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Nope.

It's a well-known fact that A-bolts and X-bolts will literally explode if taken near Alaska. The Mobil 1 trick will only provide limited protection from self-destruction when hunting West of Missouri and then very limited protection.

Any good rifleman knows that Brownings can only safely exist South of the Carolinas.

I think these kind of rumors got started in by an outfitter my BIL hunts with in Saskatchewan; these are the same knuckle-heads that think it takes a 300 WM to take down a Canadian whitetail.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Nope.

It's a well-known fact that A-bolts and X-bolts will literally explode if taken near Alaska. The Mobil 1 trick will only provide limited protection from self-destruction when hunting West of Missouri and then very limited protection.

Any good rifleman knows that Brownings can only safely exist South of the Carolinas.

I think these kind of rumors got started in by an outfitter my BIL hunts with in Saskatchewan; these are the same knuckle-heads that think it takes a 300 WM to take down a Canadian whitetail.

Need to move your line north just a little bit. X-Bolts and A-Bolts work amazingly well here in southern VA! grin

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I scored a vanguard dangerous game rifle in 375HH for 800 bucks, sweet gun.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Lhltr
So I’ve been looking at the Browning X-bolt Hells Canyon Speed in 6.5 creedmoor. Then a friend mentions looking at a Tikka T3x lite.

Now I’m up in the air and back at square one.

I’m looking to mainly deer/antelope hunt with it. Maybe more. Want something pretty rugged and liked the cerakote on browning. Everything Ive looked at recently says tikka action is a bit smoother with better accuracy. I’ll probably mostly use factory loads. I don’t feel I’m capable as a shooter to push it past 300 yds on a game animal.
What do you guys think? What are your experiences with these rifles/brands? Thanks for the input!

Luke

You might also want to consider the Mauser M18 in 6.5 CM. It can be had for less than $600 shipped on GB and weighs in at 6.4lbs. I own several T3s and very happy with them too.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/789497488

Regards,

SD

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Nope.

I was told a 338 was borderline for Canadian Whitetails. Browning rumors were started by a Alaskan who must have guided a Browning Exec on a hunt and never left a tip.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by VAhuntr

Nope.

Need to move your line north just a little bit. X-Bolts and A-Bolts work amazingly well here in southern VA! grin

You need to play the lotto tonite. No one can get that lucky

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had 2 Abolts, and an Xbolt in 7-08 all compact, and a Tikka T3 in .270W. The only one still in my safe is the Tikka. Never could warm up to the Brownings, they shot pretty well but not as good as my Tikka. The Xbolt felt too 'chubby' in my hand carrying it. I think the Tikka trigger is the factor that makes it shoot so well for me.
I will add that the Ruger American Compact SS is an inexpensive rifle at 1/2 the cost that gives both the Browning and Tikka's a run for their money and is my go to deer rifle in 7-08. My choices are limited since I am a left hander...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I decided on the X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed in .30-06. I should have it by the end of the week. This is the first brand new rifle I have bought in a long time.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have ordered a LH X-Bolt Hunter in 22-250. Browning uses a Super Short Action for their 223, 22-250 and WSM caliber offerings but the LH models 223 & 22-250 have been hard to find. Still haven't found a 223 and when I do, I'll order it too.

By the way, the 22-250 comes in a 1-9'' twist.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Browning seems to be forward thinking on twists. I don't know why their sister company, Winchester, is so backward in this regard.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
[Linked Image]

I am liking this X-Bolt in 26 Nosler a lot!

Cull from last Sunday afternoon.

Shot 3 critters with it in the last month. Not one has taken a step after perforation.

DNRT

BTW,

[Linked Image]

I do like making meat!

ya!

GWB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice blade GWB. I can't make it out, what is it?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Nice blade GWB. I can't make it out, what is it?

[Linked Image]

Menefee Loveless style Hunter, etched A-2 steel, Canvas Micarta Scales

ya!

GWB

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
T3X. Period Stop even talking about it. This isn't that hard.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (1_deuce, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 16penny, 41 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,694
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.