Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Since Jan 1, 2018 I have hiked and hunted Public land in AZ., NV., Id., Wy., and Mt. Anyone who doesn't understand how valuable and unique this opportunity is, needs to set down the pie, push away from the keyboard and go outside.

The U.S. govt does not own the public land, we do.

mike r

Very well said.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
I read this whole conversation and it wasn't even close. I googled BHA and signed up.

Tarkio, where you come to think, "we have far more designated wilderness than needed" I can't imagine. You are free to have your opinion, however unwarranted, but that's all it is - your opinion. For sure it isn't mine nor that of anyone else that is a serious outdoorsman of any sort. Anyone that hunts public land for big game out west, or anywhere else for that matter, understands that. The orange army is everywhere. And that is just one argument that we don't have enough wilderness.

Please tell me how much is enough?

Right now in the United States we have wilderness areas that add up to a land mass equal to the state of California. Over 109,000,000 acres currently in wilderness areas and that doesn't include WSAs

How much more would you like to see? How about if we add more that would amount to another land mass area the size of New mexico or Arizona? Would that satisfy you?

I also appreciate your sideways swipe at me as not being a serious outdoorsman. That's 2 different attacks of me simply because of my opinion and beliefs. Real open-minded of you.

I am very amused by these statements that the orange army is everywhere. I agree if everywhere is within a mile of any road. But the reality of vast swaths of PUBLIC LAND in Montana is farther than a mile from any road and all you have to do is hike that mile+ on most public lands and you are alone. This fallacy that you have to be in a wilderness area to achieve this peace is not reality here in Montana.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Tarkio
So you are telling me you think it is a good idea for the federal government to increase its land holdings, exert more control over those holdings and limit people more in their use of those holdings?

No, I'm not saying that at all. I'd just like to see the land that's public now and roadless now (not necessarily designated wilderness) stay that way. Because as I said, that's where the best hunting and fishing is.

True story, one of my favorite places to hunt used to be non-motorized access only. It has a small stream that holds cutthroats. A few years ago you could walk in 3 miles on an easy trail and catch lots of 13-14 inch fish in a few scattered plunge pools. Then they opened it up to motorbikes. I went in last year and was lucky to catch a few small fish. I did get to pick up some cigarette butts and styrofoam worm cartons though.

Wilderness areas are an anathema to most local communities they are in proximity to.

I'd like to see your data that backs up your assertion there. Because I don't believe it's necessarily true, especially in areas that draw a lot of non-resident hunters and fishermen. Hotels, stores, restaurants, outfitters and other rural businesses in this state depend on visitors to make their living, and the visitors want unspoiled vistas. Wilderness areas are a big draw.

When land is placed in a Wilderness Area or wsa, the local governments lose tax revenue, lose production which also impacts tax revenue, creates headaches such as harborer of weeds and pests including predators that often times cannot be hunted or controlled in these areas. All these things negatively affect local economies. Yes, hunters bring in some money, but in Montana, our hunting season is extraordinarily long compared to may states and it is still only 6-8 weeks long. Meanwhile, the local community has to survive the full 52 weeks out of the year.

Wilderness areas also take loggable areas out of production and limit managers' ability to control fuel which in turns creates large stockpiles of fuel just waiting for the conditions to be right and become an enormous wildfire that is impossible to control.

Asking for data is valid and fair. I do not have it at hand right now. What I do have is personal first-hand experience living in proximity to these areas, working in these areas, working on ranches and friends having ranches that abut these areas. Working in the extension service servicing regions that had tens of thousands of acres of wilderness and wilderness study areas. Those of us that live it know the reality.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Geno,

Count me as one that thinks we have enough wilderness areas in the country. There are 765 wilderness Areas in the USA. That totals 109,129,657 acres according to wiki which I loath to quote but I am short on time. That totals a land mass LARGER THAN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA.

If you look at the recent wilderness designations made in the past 10 years, a great majority of them were made with an ulterior motive. Oftentimes that motive is a left-leaning anti natural resource; anti-local (which oftentimes has been conservative populace) benefit to the point of being punitive. And ultimately to simply increase the federal governments control and sway over more and more of the country (and in this case typically the west).

So I will ask you the same question I posed previously, do you thing the federal government has enough land? Do you support them increasing their land-holdings? Do you support them having more and more control of life on a small local level because of their insatiable appetite for more land?

I would contend we have far more designated wilderness areas than needed. That combined with public land available for access makes for more than enough public land available. Much of this public land is restricted to various degrees from ohv usage. More and more of our blm and usfs land is restricted in the users' ability to use ohv. They certainly are not relaxing those rule on "normal" public land. Same for state land here where I live.

Answers: yes, they have "enough" land. No, they have no need to "increase their land holdings". I don't see an "insatiable appetite for more land" and therefor have a hard time answering that question.

My personal opinion, based on years of running around in various types of backcountry, there are many good reasons for the restrictions you noted to OHV use on public lands, not the least of which is damage (likely caused by a few, just like in the informal shooting areas another poster noted) to the land by not staying on designated routes. I personally don't think they should be relaxing most/many of those rules. I've seen it on a very large tract of land (the Big Boquillas in N AZ) where access had to be limited due to "jerks" (for lack of a better term) using OHV inappropriately, this given a very liberal OHV use policy for retrieving game taken away from the road. Yes, I've personally seen the ATV tracks going up the side of the hill, followed them to the top, and saw no evidence of a kill anywhere in the area. They road up there to hunt/glass and it wasn't even that large of a hill. Now, should I choose to, I have to pay an access fee to access thousands of acres of state and blm land in the checkerboard. To top it off, scouting is now limited, your access fee only covers the season for the tag you hold, and so on. Had folks not f'd things up it would still just be a sign in at the gate operation. It's not the only place I've seen evidence of OHV use in unauthorized areas. Including an instance of an "a hole" driving right past me, and right past the sign and onto a horse and pedestrian trail. In a forest where there was OHV trails and areas. Why not just use those?

Does the govt try to obtain inholdings? Yes. In some cases off set by trades. It makes management easier.

Do I think that perhaps there should be more weight given to local input. Yes. Perhaps there wouldn't be as much need if the lawsuit stuff subsided in a major way.

Enjoy your evening,

Geno

PS, how much of that land you noted as Wilderness is in AK? I like knowing that in the future folks will have a chance to see a good section of that area undeveloped.

PPS, I'm not a big fan of some/many of the wilderness/National Monument designations over the last 20-40 years myself.

geno,

Thanks for your post. You reference problems with A-holes inappropriately using OHV on public lands. I am with you that this is a serious problem. ANd because of this, restrictions continue to tighten on what might be considered "normal public land" in this conversation. Based on what you and I agree upon, more and more "normal public land" is under tighter and tighter restrictions on motorized vehicle use. Yet others here complain the only way to access areas without motorized vehicle use is through wilderness areas. That logic makes no sense based on what we just agreed upon.

Enforcement and penalties for breaking the law/rules with motorized vehicles are terribly strict in my part of the world, as they should be. I like many others have been rudely interrupted in my hunts by A-holes on wheelers. Doesn't mean we need more millions oc acres in wilderness. Maybe we just need to enforce the laws we have and better educate those that use public lands? Kind of reminds me of the public debate following a school shooting. Do we further legislate and control the populace in general? Or do we attack those that are creating the problems?

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Since Jan 1, 2018 I have hiked and hunted Public land in AZ., NV., Id., Wy., and Mt. Anyone who doesn't understand how valuable and unique this opportunity is, needs to set down the pie, push away from the keyboard and go outside.

The U.S. govt does not own the public land, we do.

mike r

Enough with the straw man argument. No one here is saying do away with all wilderness. If you recall, my comment is that I do not support bha because they are proponents of more and more wilderness and more and more restriction on federal land as well as more and more federal land in general equating to more and more control by the feds and more intrusion into the lives of those of us that live in these regions.

How much more land would you like the feds to control and limit access to?

Montana MOFO
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Geno,

Count me as one that thinks we have enough wilderness areas in the country. There are 765 wilderness Areas in the USA. That totals 109,129,657 acres according to wiki which I loath to quote but I am short on time. That totals a land mass LARGER THAN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA.

If you look at the recent wilderness designations made in the past 10 years, a great majority of them were made with an ulterior motive. Oftentimes that motive is a left-leaning anti natural resource; anti-local (which oftentimes has been conservative populace) benefit to the point of being punitive. And ultimately to simply increase the federal governments control and sway over more and more of the country (and in this case typically the west).

So I will ask you the same question I posed previously, do you thing the federal government has enough land? Do you support them increasing their land-holdings? Do you support them having more and more control of life on a small local level because of their insatiable appetite for more land?

I would contend we have far more designated wilderness areas than needed. That combined with public land available for access makes for more than enough public land available. Much of this public land is restricted to various degrees from ohv usage. More and more of our blm and usfs land is restricted in the users' ability to use ohv. They certainly are not relaxing those rule on "normal" public land. Same for state land here where I live.

Answers: yes, they have "enough" land. No, they have no need to "increase their land holdings". I don't see an "insatiable appetite for more land" and therefor have a hard time answering that question.

My personal opinion, based on years of running around in various types of backcountry, there are many good reasons for the restrictions you noted to OHV use on public lands, not the least of which is damage (likely caused by a few, just like in the informal shooting areas another poster noted) to the land by not staying on designated routes. I personally don't think they should be relaxing most/many of those rules. I've seen it on a very large tract of land (the Big Boquillas in N AZ) where access had to be limited due to "jerks" (for lack of a better term) using OHV inappropriately, this given a very liberal OHV use policy for retrieving game taken away from the road. Yes, I've personally seen the ATV tracks going up the side of the hill, followed them to the top, and saw no evidence of a kill anywhere in the area. They road up there to hunt/glass and it wasn't even that large of a hill. Now, should I choose to, I have to pay an access fee to access thousands of acres of state and blm land in the checkerboard. To top it off, scouting is now limited, your access fee only covers the season for the tag you hold, and so on. Had folks not f'd things up it would still just be a sign in at the gate operation. It's not the only place I've seen evidence of OHV use in unauthorized areas. Including an instance of an "a hole" driving right past me, and right past the sign and onto a horse and pedestrian trail. In a forest where there was OHV trails and areas. Why not just use those?

Does the govt try to obtain inholdings? Yes. In some cases off set by trades. It makes management easier.

Do I think that perhaps there should be more weight given to local input. Yes. Perhaps there wouldn't be as much need if the lawsuit stuff subsided in a major way.

Enjoy your evening,

Geno

PS, how much of that land you noted as Wilderness is in AK? I like knowing that in the future folks will have a chance to see a good section of that area undeveloped.

PPS, I'm not a big fan of some/many of the wilderness/National Monument designations over the last 20-40 years myself.

geno,

Thanks for your post. You reference problems with A-holes inappropriately using OHV on public lands. I am with you that this is a serious problem. ANd because of this, restrictions continue to tighten on what might be considered "normal public land" in this conversation. Based on what you and I agree upon, more and more "normal public land" is under tighter and tighter restrictions on motorized vehicle use. Yet others here complain the only way to access areas without motorized vehicle use is through wilderness areas. That logic makes no sense based on what we just agreed upon.

Enforcement and penalties for breaking the law/rules with motorized vehicles are terribly strict in my part of the world, as they should be. I like many others have been rudely interrupted in my hunts by A-holes on wheelers. Doesn't mean we need more millions oc acres in wilderness. Maybe we just need to enforce the laws we have and better educate those that use public lands? Kind of reminds me of the public debate following a school shooting. Do we further legislate and control the populace in general? Or do we attack those that are creating the problems?

Tarkio,

On that we can certainly agree. Unfortunately, in many of the places I have hunted the agencies don't have the money to adequately (in my opinion at least) enforce those OHV restrictions. Oh, there may be some after the fact enforcement if someone happens to get a plate number and a picture. That does not help after the damage is done. Or they may get lucky and just happen to catch a violator on their way out of a closed area.

Have a nice evening,,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Reality is, this group promotes control over lands and management over public lands far away from the lands and the end user. I do not think this is a model I support because it does give far more credence and import to the deep-pocket guys. Just as TOM tried to scare everyone that corporations are closing off access to our public lands, the reality is deep pocket corporate types like Chouinard are doing just that. Limiting the multiple use of OUR (they are mine too) public lands.

Wilderness areas are an anathema to most local communities they are in proximity to. You guys only see 1 aspect, "I hate hearing or seeing 4-wheelers" but the reality is, these areas create a lot of problems not the least of which are weeds and fire danger.

I look out my window on the AB wilderness area, and you have no clue. the weed problem is centered around the trailheads (yes motorized vehicles). I'm not sayin' trailheads are bad, but don't blame the wilderness for problems caused by motor vehicles.

the wilderness i've seen is not really very valuable as timber sales (and yes, I've spent a good chunk of my life on a log skidder). too steep and low grade timber stands. the timber sales are not as much of a boost as they used to be because insurance has forced the loggers to mechanized logging shows where large companys that can afford tree shears and processors employ very few people to harvest incredible amounts of timber. again, not a bad thing because it is safer, but it reduces the number of people making money from those sales.

fire danger? well, I've seen far more fires start on private land and burn onto wilderness than vice versa (and yes, i've been a wildland firefighter for years). roads to access fires? forest fires are attacked from the air and followed up by hand crews for the most part. dozers and fire engines are generally utilized to protect structures and other improvements in the interface.

the wilderness greatly helps the surrounding landowners via hunting rights. not a bad thing in itself, but creates other issues. one is reducing public access to the elk herds during general rifle season so elk numbers cannot be managed very well. another problem is the surrounding landowners are fighting tooth and nail to close any public access they possibly can to so they can have more control the game herds on wilderness behind their property.

"the deep pocket guys" have much more influence at the local level.

so, I've voted republican since I could vote, I've owned ranches in Montana, been a logger, wildland firefighter and hunter, and I'm a member of the BHA.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

When land is placed in a Wilderness Area or wsa, the local governments lose tax revenue, lose production which also impacts tax revenue, creates headaches such as harborer of weeds and pests including predators that often times cannot be hunted or controlled in these areas.

Balderdash. Which tax revenues do local governments lose when federal lands are designated wilderness? Wilderness generates revenue and local sales tax because lots of people want to visit wilderness and they spend a lot of money locally.

And as far as hunting in wilderness areas, you must be joking when you say it can't be done? I do it every year.

You talk about hunting season in Montana, but google "Estes Park Colorado." It would not exist without the wilderness of the Rocky Mountain National Park next to it, and it's packed with tourists year-round but especially all summer. You can't drive down the street or get a seat in a restaurant. during the summer. It's the same with other small towns located near popular wilderness areas.

And as someone already pointed out more than half of that "State of California-sized" wilderness you like to talk about is in Alaska where virtually no one in the lower 48 will ever travel so you need to factor that in to your calculus. It sounds like a big number but there are huge parts of the country with no wilderness. That's why we have so many non-residents flocking to Colorado every hunting season, and it matters not the length of the season, a lot of rural businesses couldn't make it without that influx.

Those of us that live it know the reality.

You're entitled to your opinions, but just know the difference between your opinions and reality.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, Estes Park as a shining example? Rocky Park is fine and dandy, but don't forget you've got the Denver Metroplex as a draw base two hours away at most. Never mind that's industrial tourism on an epic scale, there's a too many unhuntable elk problem there, et cetera. Oh, that's right, it's a NATIONAL PARK, not a WILDERNESS AREA -- whole 'nother ball of wax.
The other thing about Estes, or Winter Park, or Granby -- lots of money, probably, but its paid to seasonal workers. Nobody who lives full time in Estes is taking vacations to places like Estes, they can't afford to patronize the kind of businesses they work in, unless they own the business. Up here in Montana, its a fact that the closer you get to Glacier, the lower the wages and higher the poverty level. All the "studies" gloss that over.
Another aspect of the wilderness experience in Colorado, its it's not really wilderness in the sense of solitude. Most of these wildernesses get so much traffic, at least for the first eight miles, there's no firewood below eight feet off the ground, no time at which you're out of sight of another hiking party (at least on summer weekends). These are almost all "nonmotorized hiking areas" that were formerly deserted, but after designation became yuppie magnets for those who like to make lists of all the "wildernesses" they've "conquered."
Tourism and recreation are a terrible base for a local economy. Seasonal, low paying, fickle both by weather AND the larger national economy, as tourism cash, even for hunting, is based on the "player" being prosperous enough to have the cash for "fun stuff."
Finally, I want to emphasize that I live in a county that is the size of Connecticut all by itself, about 2.1 million acres. Of that, fully 1.1 million acres of it is already full-honk USFS wilderness, plus there's another 300,000 thousand of Park that is managed as wilderness through the park plan. I'd say that's more than enough. As for "multiple-use" -- that's down to maybe 400,000 acres at best, and that's not saying much considering most of the road network has been closed or gated off year round, when seasonal closures would work just as well in terms of wildlife management needs.
So, I understand there are hunters who want to prioritize their pleasure over all else, just like there are Fudds who will sell out the rights of others just as long as their ox doesn't get gored. Fine, join BHA.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
So, I understand there are hunters who want to prioritize their pleasure over all else, just like there are Fudds who will sell out the rights of others just as long as their ox doesn't get gored. Fine, join BHA.

There it is...

You can know all you need to know about an organization by who is a member and who isn't.

Mostly elitist Fudds.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

You can know all you need to know about an organization by who is a member and who isn't.

Mostly elitist Fudds.

As a member, I take offense. You're off the Christmas card list.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Mostly elitist Fudds.

I don't mean any offense to most folks. You included.

It's just got that feeling about it. Like something is not what it seems. I know I'm not the only one that smells that either.

But each to their own. As long as you are happy.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

When land is placed in a Wilderness Area or wsa, the local governments lose tax revenue, lose production which also impacts tax revenue, creates headaches such as harborer of weeds and pests including predators that often times cannot be hunted or controlled in these areas.

Balderdash. Which tax revenues do local governments lose when federal lands are designated wilderness? Wilderness generates revenue and local sales tax because lots of people want to visit wilderness and they spend a lot of money locally.

And as far as hunting in wilderness areas, you must be joking when you say it can't be done? I do it every year.

You talk about hunting season in Montana, but google "Estes Park Colorado." It would not exist without the wilderness of the Rocky Mountain National Park next to it, and it's packed with tourists year-round but especially all summer. You can't drive down the street or get a seat in a restaurant. during the summer. It's the same with other small towns located near popular wilderness areas.

And as someone already pointed out more than half of that "State of California-sized" wilderness you like to talk about is in Alaska where virtually no one in the lower 48 will ever travel so you need to factor that in to your calculus. It sounds like a big number but there are huge parts of the country with no wilderness. That's why we have so many non-residents flocking to Colorado every hunting season, and it matters not the length of the season, a lot of rural businesses couldn't make it without that influx.

Those of us that live it know the reality.

You're entitled to your opinions, but just know the difference between your opinions and reality.

When public lands are moved into a wilderness or wilderness study designation, grazing rights are severely impacted and limited. Limiting grazing limits numbers of animals in a county. Limiting numbers of animals greatly impacts local revenue. Look at the CMR. When they created it, the powers that be promised to never exclude or negatively impact livestock use and particularly, access to water for livestock. Know what happened there.

So, by your reasoning, because it's a long ways away, Alaska doesn't count? I don't get it. One of the things you promote about the awesomeness of wilderness areas it the Fricking peace and tranquiity and the most far removed, peaceful and tranquil wilderness areas out there doesn't count in your book. How the hell does that work exactly?

I agree there are wilderness areas that benefit the local economy. But for every one of those, there are many that do not.

Help me where I said hunting in the wilderness can't be done??? I hunt in wilderness and study areas myself.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by toad

Reality is, this group promotes control over lands and management over public lands far away from the lands and the end user. I do not think this is a model I support because it does give far more credence and import to the deep-pocket guys. Just as TOM tried to scare everyone that corporations are closing off access to our public lands, the reality is deep pocket corporate types like Chouinard are doing just that. Limiting the multiple use of OUR (they are mine too) public lands.

Wilderness areas are an anathema to most local communities they are in proximity to. You guys only see 1 aspect, "I hate hearing or seeing 4-wheelers" but the reality is, these areas create a lot of problems not the least of which are weeds and fire danger.

I look out my window on the AB wilderness area, and you have no clue. the weed problem is centered around the trailheads (yes motorized vehicles). I'm not sayin' trailheads are bad, but don't blame the wilderness for problems caused by motor vehicles.

the wilderness i've seen is not really very valuable as timber sales (and yes, I've spent a good chunk of my life on a log skidder). too steep and low grade timber stands. the timber sales are not as much of a boost as they used to be because insurance has forced the loggers to mechanized logging shows where large companys that can afford tree shears and processors employ very few people to harvest incredible amounts of timber. again, not a bad thing because it is safer, but it reduces the number of people making money from those sales.

fire danger? well, I've seen far more fires start on private land and burn onto wilderness than vice versa (and yes, i've been a wildland firefighter for years). roads to access fires? forest fires are attacked from the air and followed up by hand crews for the most part. dozers and fire engines are generally utilized to protect structures and other improvements in the interface.

the wilderness greatly helps the surrounding landowners via hunting rights. not a bad thing in itself, but creates other issues. one is reducing public access to the elk herds during general rifle season so elk numbers cannot be managed very well. another problem is the surrounding landowners are fighting tooth and nail to close any public access they possibly can to so they can have more control the game herds on wilderness behind their property.

"the deep pocket guys" have much more influence at the local level.

so, I've voted republican since I could vote, I've owned ranches in Montana, been a logger, wildland firefighter and hunter, and I'm a member of the BHA.

I have no clue? I have fought weeds on wilderness areas for years. Yes some weeds are introduced by motorized vehicles, but the designation makes it nearly impossible to really fight the problem. Once there are weeds there, simply the exclusion of vehicles doesn't magically make them go away. Restrictions on access, control typ both essentially make most weed control efforts futile. Look at the CMR. Unbelievable canada and now knapweed. I don't give a [bleep] where they started. The fact you cannot spray only creates more damn weeds. A lot of the canada if ound on the lakeshore. Pretty damn certain there aren't motorized vehicles driving the beaches of ft peck.

And selectively choose my words and ignore others. I never said all wilderness negatively impacte logging. Certainly a fair amount of the areas in our area are affected. The second part of my point was land managers inability to manage FUEL leads to sever problems. I never said fires start in wilderness areas exclusively and those cause problems. Damn, you need to maybe visit www.RIF.ORG.

Tell me what does happen when a fore starts on wilderness areas or on a study area. Can you race in with your ranch outfit and put it out? Will the feds dispatch crews to cut lines right away? No. This combined with excess fuels because of limited managment is what I am saying about them contributing to fire issues.

I fail to follow your attempt at a point where you say wilderness helps landowners via hunting rights? But creates access problems> So it helps landowners but hurts hunters. And then you say surrounding landowners shut public access?? And yet as hunters, many on here are extolling the virtue of wilderness. I am missing something here and I am not being a smarta$$. I simply don't follow your comment.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When public lands are moved into a wilderness or wilderness study designation, grazing rights are severely impacted and limited.

Not so up here in Oregon. Recreate, hunt, and fish tons of wilderness and wilderness study areas up here, and seasonal stock use is just part of the landscape. Without near constant maintenance by stockmen, probably half of the water developments would become non-functional and wildlife would suffer.

There's about a 95 mile long stretch of the Deschutes River up here that's managed by the BLM, ODF&W, and the Warm Springs tribe. They decided to toss out grazing, and now have fires almost annually that burn right to the river banks. Stock used to keep the fuel loads down to a reasonable level and fires were near non existent. Now fine fuels can be measured in tons per acre.

1Minute
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 1minute
When public lands are moved into a wilderness or wilderness study designation, grazing rights are severely impacted and limited.

Not so up here in Oregon. Recreate, hunt, and fish tons of wilderness and wilderness study areas up here, and seasonal stock use is just part of the landscape. Without near constant maintenance by stockmen, probably half of the water developments would become non-functional and wildlife would suffer.

There's about a 95 mile long stretch of the Deschutes River up here that's managed by the BLM, ODF&W, and the Warm Springs tribe. They decided to toss out grazing, and now have fires almost annually that burn right to the river banks. Stock used to keep the fuel loads down to a reasonable level and fires were near non existent. Now fine fuels can be measured in tons per acre.

The areas I am familiar with, some still have some grazing. Most all had grazing significantly decreased. A number are getting decreased regularly and severely limiting water access at the same time, effectively making it near impossible to graze.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tons per acre? Now THAT's ironic. I take it the grazing elimination is to "save salmon." Well, one of these days, you'll have a big fire year followed by the wrong kind of winter, that dumps half the canyon onto whatever spawning reaches there are.

As for the maintenance of water in wilderness, it's considerably more difficult to maintain without the use of heavy equipment, and while the ability to use such is THEORETICALLY allowed, just TRY to get a permit. Takes years if ever.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Mostly elitist Fudds.

I don't mean any offense to most folks. You included.

It's just got that feeling about it. Like something is not what it seems. I know I'm not the only one that smells that either.

But each to their own. As long as you are happy.

Well, that's the power of innuendo, Skinner's stock in trade. Something seems off, but you just can't put your finger on it.

You can form your opinions on the membership based on what you read here, or you could go to one of the BHA meetings and meet some of the folks there and see for yourself. I'm sure there are some whose politics I don't agree with but you can say that about any group, especially if innuendo is your thing.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Help me where I said hunting in the wilderness can't be done??? I hunt in wilderness and study areas myself.

Maybe it didn't come across like you meant it?

...... including predators that often times cannot be hunted or controlled in these areas.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 1minute

Not so up here in Oregon. Recreate, hunt, and fish tons of wilderness and wilderness study areas up here, and seasonal stock use is just part of the landscape.

Same here. Sometimes dodging the sheep is a pain in the neck but they don't call it "The Land of Many Uses" for nothing.

Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 1234, 59 invisible), 1,818 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,229
Posts18,524,760
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.