Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Accuracy report please. Thinking about springing for one.

Buy once, cry once.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555

Has anyone ever owned an inaccurate 17 HMR?

There isn't enough difference in accuracy between my $200 Marlin and my $800 Anschutz to justify the $600 difference in purchase price.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555

There isn't enough difference in accuracy between my $200 Marlin and my $800 Anschutz to justify the $600 difference in purchase price.

I get what you are saying, but actually, yes. After looking at some reviews and such, Ruger had some quality issues with a run of these. I was wanting to know if they cleared it up or if I should avoid it.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They are generally very accurate, but if you read over on Rimfire Central, a lot of them are having FTE issues. My American Preadtor 22 magnum does.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
They are generally very accurate, but if you read over on Rimfire Central, a lot of them are having FTE issues. My American Preadtor 22 magnum does.

And most of them work just fine right out of the box mine sure have... And ,anything about the rifle that is not up to snuff ,Ruger will make it right if you give them the chance.

90% of the dipschits on RFC could phuuck up an anvil with a cotton hammer, anyway.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks guys for the report. The FTE was the issue I found on Google. I guess they still haven’t fixed all the bugs.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Unfortunately ..... CZ 452 American best is 2" @ 100 yards with 20 grainers .... 2" @ 50 yards with 17 grainers.

Bought the rifle used off of RFC, emailed CZ to see if they'd look at it and they told me to F--- Off and find a private 'smith to take a look at it.

Still sits in the safe as a $400 error. Oh well.

g

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jk16

And most of them work just fine right out of the box mine sure have... And ,anything about the rifle that is not up to snuff ,Ruger will make it right if you give them the chance.

90% of the dipschits on RFC could phuuck up an anvil with a cotton hammer, anyway.

I do tip my hat to Ruger for being good at getting right the second time what they should have done right the first time. They certainly get plenty of practice at it.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

I do tip my hat to Ruger for being good at getting right the second time what they should have done right the first time. They certainly get plenty of practice at it.

They make more rifles per year than just about any US gunmaker so I am sure they have a busy service dept.

I have owned Rugers for 40 years -since 1978- at least 30 of them. Out of those, exactly ONE had an actual mechanical issue that needed to be fixed by the factory. And that was 25 years ago. I have bought six new Ruger rifles and handguns in the last 3 years and had zero issues.

I saw the list of "problems' you claimed with your Rugers over on the Gunwriters forum a few weeks ago. Three-fourths of those "issues" you mentioned were actually NON ISSUES that had more to do with you picking nits than anthing else .

Last edited by jk16; 03/01/18.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

They make more rifles per year than just about any US gunmaker so I am sure they have a busy service dept.

I have owned Rugers for 40 years -since 1978- at least 30 of them. Out of those, exactly ONE had an actual mechanical issue that needed to be fixed by the factory. And that was 25 years ago. I have bought six new Ruger rifles and handguns in the last 3 years and had zero issues.

I saw the list of "problems' you claimed with your Rugers over on the Gunwriters forum a few weeks ago. Three-fourths of those "issues" you mentioned were actually NON ISSUES that had more to do with you picking nits than anthing else .

I don't think guns that won't accept a magazine and has to go back to the factory is picking nits. I don't think a gun that has sights that cannot be adjusted to hit the point of aim is picking nits. Perhaps a gun that doesn't function out of the box and has to be disassembled cleaned and reassembled to work is picking nits, but I would ask what other products do we excuse the same on? Fishing reels? String trimmers? What? Perhaps complaining about a gun that won't extract spent brass 10% of the time is picking nits. Or a gun that won't function with the supplied magazine is picking nits. Or a gun that has a burr on the bolt face and gouges brass is picking nits. That's six out of my past 8 Rugers. The 10-12 Rugers I bought new before those had no such issues. Ooops, almost forgot about the slam-firing Ruger 10-22 magnum from the late 90s.

I am a Ruger slut, but I am no longer excusing their poor quality control. I will tell my stories, both good and bad, when the stories fit the conversation. I honestly believe they out produced their ability to adequately QC.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

I don't think guns that won't accept a magazine and has to go back to the factory is picking nits. I don't think a gun that has sights that cannot be adjusted to hit the point of aim is picking nits. Perhaps a gun that doesn't function out of the box and has to be disassembled cleaned and reassembled to work is picking nits, but I would ask what other products do we excuse the same on? Fishing reels? String trimmers? What? Perhaps complaining about a gun that won't extract spent brass 10% of the time is picking nits. Or a gun that won't function with the supplied magazine is picking nits. Or a gun that has a burr on the bolt face and gouges brass is picking nits. That's six out of my past 8 Rugers. The 10-12 Rugers I bought new before those had no such issues. Ooops, almost forgot about the slam-firing Ruger 10-22 magnum from the late 90s.

I am a Ruger slut, but I am no longer excusing their poor quality control. I will tell my stories, both good and bad, when the stories fit the conversation. I honestly believe they out produced their ability to adequately QC.

Did you give Ruger a chance to fix any of those issues? They will issue you a call tag/shipping label and fix the problem for free , if it arises.

And yes I agree with you about them pushing the limits of their manufacturing capabilities. Given the set of features on a Ruger American Rimfire-Magazines ,trigger ,safety etc conoated to their competition,folks would still pay a bit more for them.if the would simply SLOW DOWN the assembly a bit and tighten up their QC.

Ruger is not alone in this.Nor are firearms makers
Middle managers in Corporate America get bonuses fot meeting manufacture output targets..which rewards quantity over quality.

The sad thing is that upper management takes a short sighted veiw of how a drop in quality affects their long term reputation and sales.
Riger needs to look at what has happened to Remington lately to see how that story ends..

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N

I have the Ruger American Target in 22lr & 22Mag, both are very accurate and neither have any problems. I don't have the .17 yet.

https://www.realguns.com/articles/993.htm

You will not make peace with the Blue Coats, you are free to go
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have predators in 22,17 hmr, and 22 mag.. all 3 feed and extract perfectly

I do love shooting that little 17

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have sent guns back to Ruger, and they were great to deal with. Their customer service is industry leading. Unfortunately it is needed too often.

There are things to love about all Ruger products. My American Target 22LR and my American Predator 22 Magnum are both showing accuracy promise early in life. I think with more breaking in and ammo experimenting they will be great rifles. I haven't had my Predator at the range but once. When I brought it home I scrubbed the hell out of the chamber. I am hoping that corrected the FTE issue.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This time a Ruger needed customer service, and needs it again.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1075057

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (1eyedmule, 2500HD, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 2UP, 20 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,800
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.