Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
"All revolvers are pistols but not all pistols are revolvers,"

Exactly. Just as Winchester 94, Ruger Number 1, Remington 760 or a Mauser 98 are rifles.

I like this. We don't need to make it more confusing than it already is to people who want to take up our sport, or has an interest in personal security.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Revolvers are pistols.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"All revolvers are pistols but not all pistols are revolvers,"

I'm in this camp.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by websterparish47
To me, any handgun is a pistol, single shot, revolver, or semi.

ya me too.

My diploma is a DD214
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Dammit, Samuel Colt sold his handguns as revolving pistols, and advertised them as such.

That oughta be the end of the discussion.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As far as I'm concerned, revolvers are also "pistols".

On the other hand, semi-auto pistols are not "revolvers".

The name "pistol" comes from "Pistoia" and, at the time, referred to the muzzlestuffers then in use. Common usage, however, has broadened with handgun developments.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by petemacmahon
To me, a Revolver is NOT a pistol.

I agree. A revolver is a handgun, and is not a pistol.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by rem141r
Originally Posted by websterparish47
To me, any handgun is a pistol, single shot, revolver, or semi.

ya me too.

Same here

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Dammit, Samuel Colt sold his handguns as revolving pistols, and advertised them as such.

You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?......

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I rarely make a comment without reading pretty much all the way through a topic, unless maybe it is a really long thread, but on this one I'll make an exception.

Who really gives a rats ass?

If I didn't have anything more important to worry about than if someone calls a revolver a pistol I'd count myself pretty damn lucky. That is way, way down the list of things that would ruin my day, upset me or disturb me in the least. It's also way, way down the list of things that would make me happy, glad or even make me crack a smile.

YMMV.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by dave284
I rarely make a comment without reading pretty much all the way through a topic, unless maybe it is a really long thread, but on this one I'll make an exception.

Who really gives a rats ass?

If I didn't have anything more important to worry about than if someone calls a revolver a pistol I'd count myself pretty damn lucky. That is way, way down the list of things that would ruin my day, upset me or disturb me in the least. It's also way, way down the list of things that would make me happy, glad or even make me crack a smile.

YMMV.
OK, if you don't care about discussing correct firearms terminology, I'm going to put a loaded clip in my 1911 and go do some shooting.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Digging around in the basement, I looked at some of my old books on various subjects and noticed a couple interesting factoids on this subject. A book on the Spanish-American War written in 1904 by a couple of the generals involved in that fray used the term "revolver" for the standard military issue handgun of that time- a double action revolver. Later, when discussing the situation in the Philippines, the Colt Single Action Army was referred to as a "pistol". That seems to jibe with some of the dime novels I have that were written in the same time frame.

The use of "revolver" really seemed to take off with the pulp detective novels of the 1920s and especially 30s. If not referred to as a "gat" , "heater", "rod", or other slang, then revolver was the term used for a wheel gun. Pistol was most often reserved for a semi-auto handgun in this era. As an aside, "automatic" or "auto" began to see wide usage in place of "semi-automatic" during this timeframe too.

With only the dozen different sources I looked at, I couldn't find a definitive reason for a revolver to not be a pistol. The best I can guess is "revolver" grew to define a double action revolver while a single action was often called a "pistol". It is probably the fault of the British for this conundrum- they devised the Webley-Fosbery Automatic Revolver around 1900 which greatly blurred the lines if not erased them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Definition of revolver in English:
revolver
NOUN
1A pistol with revolving chambers enabling several shots to be fired without reloading.

(Per the Oxford English dictionary)

While it is believed, that pistols evolved from the "hand cannom"
After the Chinese invented black powder during the 9th century,[1][2][3] these inventions were later transmitted to the Middle East, Africa, and Europe. The direct ancestor of the firearm is the fire lance. The prototype of the fire lance was invented in China during the 10th century and is the predecessor of all firearms.

Hand cannon from the Chinese Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368).

Where as long guns derived thier shape and basic function from crossbow, not the other way round, as is commonly thought. The crossbow has been around since 400BC (belly-bow)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Yep....that's good enough for me although I was liking the side arm thing until TRH ruined it with swords.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
pis·tol
ˈpistl/Submit
noun
a small firearm designed to be held in one hand.
synonyms: revolver, gun, handgun, sidearm; automatic, six-shooter, thirty-eight, derringer; informalgat, piece; trademarkColt, Luger
"a concealed pistol"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My CCW permit is actually a "concealed pistol permit " but it does not matter what type of handgun.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 700LH
pis·tol
ˈpistl/Submit
noun
a small firearm designed to be held in one hand.
synonyms: revolver, gun, handgun, sidearm; automatic, six-shooter, thirty-eight, derringer; informalgat, piece; trademarkColt, Luger
"a concealed pistol"

Medical professionals don’t consult dictionaries for definitions of their terms of art. Neither do lawyers. Neither should we.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by kellory
My CCW permit is actually a "concealed pistol permit " but it does not matter what type of handgun.

Not nessecariy

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This is what gets talked about here between hunting and fishing season. I'm guessing this topic comes up every 2 or 3 years...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
. . . is a Revolver a Pistol?

No - because pistols have 'clips'.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1936M71, 22250rem, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,478
Posts18,490,006
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.