T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by vapodog
Originally Posted by Theeck
Looking into it more, I am thinking that I should but some standard 180 grain Accubonds.

I've got a whole box of fifty loaded rounds.....30-06, 180 accubonds that I'll sell you if you want them.....They shoot just fine in my M-70 but I'm going all lead free ammo from now.

Hand loaded?

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have killed most of my elk with my .06and that is more than a few. Next would be the.308. After that,a smattering of 7mag, 45-70, 44 mag, 50 cal muzzle loader.I don't subscribe to the notion that bullets must exit .It does have to penetrate to the vitals and finding it under the hide on the far side has happened more often than not with me.
Before all these wonder bullets came out,I killed my elk with 180 gr Sierra Game Kings, Sierra 220 gr RN, Speer 180 gr spire points, the old Norma boat tails.Presently, Nosler 180 gr partitions because Shooters Pro shop had them for $13.box of 50. Pure led bullets out of a 50 cal muzzle loader. I can't say any died faster or slower with that range of bullets.

I agree that a person has to select the right bullet for the job, but it is equally,or maybe even more so to put it in the right place.
BTW, I have killed several elk with that 200 gr RN in excess of 350 yards,one shot kills.Guys that bad mouth them most likely never used them.
I don't have any hard proof,but I bet a lot more elk have been killed with180 gr Coreloks than any other bullets in an.06.

Mackay_Sagebrush is spot on

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by vapodog
Looking into it more, I am thinking that I should but some standard 180 grain Accubonds.

I've got a whole box of fifty loaded rounds.....30-06, 180 accubonds that I'll sell you if you want them.....They shoot just fine in my M-70 but I'm going all lead free ammo from now.

Hand loaded?

yup

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Use the .308 or .30/06 and go forth and kill elk.

This-both are elk killers and kick much less than say a 338WM

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I would choose the 308 & hunt with confidence.

I only have 6 of them.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by gmsemel
Nope, either one will be just fine! Take the money you don't spend on a new rifle and buy a good set of binos. Get plenty of exercise.

Good advice!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by buffybr
With the barrel lengths of your .308 and .30-06, the ballistics should be similar. Both of those calibers have killed thousands of elk.

Not calibers, cartridges.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All four of your choices will take elk cleanly and with no fuss.

I’d probably choose the lightest rifle you shoot well and I simply wouldn’t worry which of those four cartridges that rifle was chambered in. I’d find a good elk bullet it likes then go forth and kill elk.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've killed elk with a 300 SAUM, 300 WSM, 270 win - all with Nosler bullets. 2 with 180 Accubond, 2 with 180 Partitions, 2 with 150 Partitions. There's a theme running through the kills. Cartridges listed are all about equal to your 308/30-06. I'd find whichever Nosler product both guns liked, you need a back-up, and go forth. My longest shot to date is a bit over 200 yards. Closest 15-20 feet. You stand a better chance of running into an elk at point blank range than the classic across the meadow/canyon shot. I'd pick a bullet with a decent BC but also with the structural integrity to handle the 20 footer. A close range quarter-to shot is asking alot from a bullet. Partitions are up to the task. 😎

My rifle pair last year - 270 with 150 Partitions and 308 with 180 Sierras. Rifle pair this year, likely be a 280 AI with 160 Accubonds and a 308 with 180 Sierras. Your rifles are fine. Put the shot in the right spot and roll up your sleeves because the real work starts then.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bwinters
Rifle pair this year, likely be a 280 AI with 160 Accubonds and a 308 with 180 Sierras. Your rifles are fine. Put the shot in the right spot and roll up your sleeves because the real work starts then.

Bravo!! Two excellent choices.

Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I gotta say, my Kimber Montana in 308 has become my favorite rifle. Its hard to leave it in the gun safe.............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I would take the 30-06 and use a quality 180 grain bullet. I also wouldn’t be planning on a 400 yard shot. I’m no Elk expert, but I think one is more likely to find them in cover on public land, than out in an open field.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Use the .308 or .30/06 and go forth and kill elk.

Spend the money on upgrading optics if you don’t already have top tier glass performance. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by sourdough44

I would take the 30-06 and use a quality 180 grain bullet. I also wouldn’t be planning on a 400 yard shot. I’m no Elk expert, but I think one is more likely to find them in cover on public land, than out in an open field.

That's a good point. I have a ton to learn about elk. As far as binos, can you get decent ones without spending a lot of money? I was doing some research and it seems like most guys (at least online posters) spend in the $1,000 to $2500 range. That seems pretty expensive to me for that one item. I'll do it if there is a significant difference in quality and performance. I suspect there is a certain price point under which binoculars are pretty much junk and a price point over which they are top of the line but maybe only marginally better that mid-priced. I way this because there always seems to be a sweet spot for consumer goods. Cheapskate junky products, the medium range quality products and the luxury goods for the elitists. Anything in the $500ish range perform well?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On binos - call Doug at Cameraland. I was in your shoes ~ 12-13 years ago. Doug guided me to Minox 10x42 (forget exact model). I did a Mule Deer type optical test with the Minox and various Leica, Swarovski, and Bushnell binoculars I scrounged from friends/family. The Minox didn't give up a whole lot to any of them and were ~ $500 out the door. I'm still using them.............

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bwinters
On binos - call Doug at Cameraland. I was in your shoes ~ 12-13 years ago. Doug guided me to Minox 10x42 (forget exact model). I did a Mule Deer type optical test with the Minox and various Leica, Swarovski, and Bushnell binoculars I scrounged from friends/family. The Minox didn't give up a whole lot to any of them and were ~ $500 out the door. I'm still using them.............

Thanks. As a starting point, is 8x42 about the right size?

Last edited by Theeck; 03/14/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used Nikon Monarch binocs out West, good enough for my purpose.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
take the one you like to shoot most and shoot it often. where you place the shot is more important that getting all wrapped up in which caliber to use. I have only taken 9 elk in 25 years of hunting, but 7 of those were with a 270 and 150 grain nosler partitions, the other two were 30-06 with plain ole sierra 180 grain. all one shot kills, the elk seemed to be uninterested in what was killing them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore
...I agree that a person has to select the right bullet for the job, but it is equally,or maybe even more so to put it in the right place...

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Try some Vortex 168TTSX 30-06 ammo and even 150TTSX in the 308, see if your rifles like them. I like the mono bullets on thick skin/heavy muscle animals as big as elk myself. Also, you don't need a big, heavy scope; something like 1.5x5, 2x7, 2.5x8, and even a standard 3x9 is OK. It needs to be waterproof, of course (:)) as you are more likely to get rained on than snowed on, depending. You want a wide field of view, big game animals don't need magnifying, right? The reason is your shots are very, very likely to be on moving, even running, elk at oblique angles since "90% of the elk spend 90% of their time in the 90% thickest part of the mountains, ha. Get on a game trail and ease along, use a cow elk call just a little.
Any binoc up to 10x is fine, and I find I prefer 8x ( especially since my dear Pastor "gave" me a Swarovski 8x30 20 yrs ago, ha) more quality has more resolution so it takes less power to actually see things. But small enough to slip inside your coat or coat pocket. Read, read, read...take advantage of other folks experiences ( good and bad) ask questions a lot, especially on how to get that big sucker out of the woods! I like the rolled up plastic slides, depending up the terrain. You can always bone out the meat, put in an Army duffle bag, rig up a good harness and drag out behind you. Will work and even be easier to get through some down timber ( yes, there will be down timber) ha, hopefully not, but you can't "look a chicken in the face and tell how fat it is"....that means you may start out "seeing" them in the picture perfect meadow, but end up "killing" him in doghair thickets! But it is so much fun!! smile Wool is always good hunting clothes, but you have time to get a good set of high tech, lightweight, waterproof clothes. Pay big money for at least one set of it, stay funky for 5 days or go for it and get two sets, you won't need more. Have a great time, preparation time is never wasted time. Oh yeah...take me with you when you go? ha

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 03/14/18.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.