Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by winchester70
Not to hijack, but the op did mention bringing home a Marlin next. So let me ask, what are your thoughts on using the mid range Unique and HS-6 loads out of a rifle? Or, do I need H-110 for the 16" barrel? Thanks.

240gr jacketed bullets.

The mid-range loads turn the lever gun into a GIANT 22. Pure fun. Out of a rifle, it will make those 240 jacketed bullets perform better too.

More fun than a freaking Howa Mini bolt.....

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I found myself in possession of a literal bucketful of factory 246lrn 44 special and a Winchester 92 trapper once upon a time. Talk about fun. Like Hawk says, giant 22. I suppose you could get the full giant 22 effect if you were running those 240s through a Ruger 44 Carbine, had one of those for a while too, just like a big 10/22

J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
J
I intend to correct my error shortly.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
Kingston, that's a Northwest Hunter shoulder rig by Mike Barranti at Barranti Leather. It's his signature series line, I have about a dozen of them, mostly cross draw belt rigs but I do have 2 of his wonderful shoulder rigs. They are serial numbered to the buyer. I have #1 & I think #8. They will handle iron sights or a scoped gun. Very comfortable with a wide, padded shoulder harness that is fully adjustable & a chest strap to hold it close to your body if you're riding a horse, etc.

Dick

Thanks!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
👍🏼

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

River Runner, that old flat top is stocked with a set of my Silver Maple stocks, I really like them, kind of dresses up the old gun.

Dick

Idaho1945, do you make those yourself?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
RiverRider, yes I do, my oldest son is a gunsmith & I get a lot of high end wood from him. Plus he has 2 stock duplicators & I use the Dakota machine. I have some very nice Walnut, Holly, Cherry, Box Elder Burl, more of that Silver Maple plus other woods.
This is some Box Elder Burl & a set of Turkish Walnut.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dick

Last edited by Idaho1945; 03/17/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RiverRider, yes I do, my oldest son is a gunsmith & I get a lot of high end wood from him. Plus he has 2 stock duplicators & I use the Dakota machine. I have some very nice Walnut, Holly, Cherry, Box Elder Burl, more of that Silver Maple plus other woods.

Dick

Okay, the next, inevitable question: do you sell them? My search of the Classifieds turned up nothing.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Sorry for the late reply, been watching grandson's play basketball all day! Yes I do sell them. PM sent.

Dick

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Don't fall into the casting trap unless you really want to. Casters love to cast and tinker and think everybody else should too. Personally, I'd rather watch paint dry. I know for a fact that you can do a hell of a lot of enjoyable shooting with a whole bunch of enjoyable sixguns and never cast the first bullet. Today the selection of commercial cast bullets is better than it ever was and there is little you can cast that you can't also buy.

Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by TheKid
I don’t think he needs a 300gr WFN for shooting snowballs but that’s up to him. Heck for shooting snowmen and rocks I’d look into a light SWC or WC if I was having to buy lead.

True. I use MBC 240gr "keith" for practice, but I run them at 1200fps. And the crimp groove is inadequate for the recoil in my 329pd. But they will work great in a much heavier 629.

You should stick to what you know, which doesn't seem to be much. The MBC "Keith" bullet is not a Keith bullet at all. It's a generic bevel base SWC. But yeah, crimp jump can be a problem in 20oz .44Mag's. Since the OP does not have a 20oz .44Mag and the Keith bullet along with other SWC's have been in use for a hundred friggin' years, it shouldn't be a problem. There sure is nothing wrong with it or the Keith bullet and a lot of folks still send a lot of them downrange every year. For the purposes for which I use SWC's, LBT style bullets need not apply and the reverse is also true.

IC B3

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by CraigC
Don't fall into the casting trap unless you really want to. Casters love to cast and tinker and think everybody else should too. Personally, I'd rather watch paint dry. I know for a fact that you can do a hell of a lot of enjoyable shooting with a whole bunch of enjoyable sixguns and never cast the first bullet. Today the selection of commercial cast bullets is better than it ever was and there is little you can cast that you can't also buy.

Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by TheKid
I don’t think he needs a 300gr WFN for shooting snowballs but that’s up to him. Heck for shooting snowmen and rocks I’d look into a light SWC or WC if I was having to buy lead.

True. I use MBC 240gr "keith" for practice, but I run them at 1200fps. And the crimp groove is inadequate for the recoil in my 329pd. But they will work great in a much heavier 629.

You should stick to what you know, which doesn't seem to be much. The MBC "Keith" bullet is not a Keith bullet at all. It's a generic bevel base SWC. But yeah, crimp jump can be a problem in 20oz .44Mag's. Since the OP does not have a 20oz .44Mag and the Keith bullet along with other SWC's have been in use for a hundred friggin' years, it shouldn't be a problem. There sure is nothing wrong with it or the Keith bullet and a lot of folks still send a lot of them downrange every year. For the purposes for which I use SWC's, LBT style bullets need not apply and the reverse is also true.

Did you orgasm while typing that?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As always, bold talk from the guy who can't handle more than six shots at a time. smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, I haven't to this point loaded Unique in my 44...

Well, I sized up a 100 cases and stuffed them with 8.5 grains of Unique and I had a bunch of old 240 grain SP and HP's kicking around I figured I'd shoot. Gosh dang was that fun! I set up a target out back and was punching out fist sized groups off hand with my SBH.. Talk about a completely different animal than my H110/300 grain loads. Too much danged fun. Pretty sure I will have to set up my progressive to churn out a bunch of these, I can see these getting a ton more play time in the future.

Thank you all for the load data and such. Looking forward to shooting some more of these. Surprisingly, at least to me, Unique wasn't all that dirty either. I broke down the gun after putting a 100 rounds through the gun and it cleaned right up pretty quick like, no real issues that I could tell.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by HawkI

Keith bullets have also been given the reputation of having small meplats; there are versions of the 429421 where this is true, but both the RCBS 250-K and the H&G 503 265 grainer are both wider than several LFN noses cut by Veral himself. In 45 caliber, NOE makes the 453423 Keith and a 276 Keith with noses as wide as every 45 WFN LBT brand mould I own (six). The 358429 is another example of the nose meplat equaling or exceeding the LBT made FN/LFN in 38 caliber. And we haven't even factored the shoulder in....

I have an old NEI mold cut by Walt Melander over twenty years ago. 454-270-PBK

Talk about a Keith with a meplat!

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by beretzs
Man, I haven't to this point loaded Unique in my 44...

Well, I sized up a 100 cases and stuffed them with 8.5 grains of Unique and I had a bunch of old 240 grain SP and HP's kicking around I figured I'd shoot. Gosh dang was that fun! I set up a target out back and was punching out fist sized groups off hand with my SBH.. Talk about a completely different animal than my H110/300 grain loads. Too much danged fun. Pretty sure I will have to set up my progressive to churn out a bunch of these, I can see these getting a ton more play time in the future.

Thank you all for the load data and such. Looking forward to shooting some more of these. Surprisingly, at least to me, Unique wasn't all that dirty either. I broke down the gun after putting a 100 rounds through the gun and it cleaned right up pretty quick like, no real issues that I could tell.

A while back the manufacturer was touting cleaner burning Unique. It may now have been established long enough that "cleaner burning" is no longer emblazoned on the label.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by mathman

Keith bullets have also been given the reputation of having small meplats; there are versions of the 429421 where this is true, but both the RCBS 250-K and the H&G 503 265 grainer are both wider than several LFN noses cut by Veral himself. In 45 caliber, NOE makes the 453423 Keith and a 276 Keith with noses as wide as every 45 WFN LBT brand mould I own (six). The 358429 is another example of the nose meplat equaling or exceeding the LBT made FN/LFN in 38 caliber. And we haven't even factored the shoulder in....

[Linked Image]

There are semi wadcutters with huge meplats that are called “Keith”, but since that is not the way that Keith designed his semi wadcutter, then they are not a Keith.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unique burns fairly cleanly if you use enough of it. With powder puff loads clocking 700-800 fps it tends to be a sooty filthy mess, add enough to clock 1000 fps and it burns clean.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by mathman

[Linked Image]

There are semi wadcutters with huge meplats that are called “Keith”, but since that is not the way that Keith designed his semi wadcutter, then they are not a Keith.

OK, but this particular one does exhibit several characteristic as spelled out by Elmer himself: wide, square bottomed grease groove, beveled crimp groove, sharp cornered plain base, wide first driving band with a sharp cutting shoulder.

Should I write Keithesque? grin

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
How bout just say "SWC" and save typing a few letters?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The generic SWC includes the bevel based, small first driving band mass market ones.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (308ld, Anaconda, 35, BamBam, 11 invisible), 1,691 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,744
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.