Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Pretty much any of them will do the job. My issue is with CFE-223 powder. Yes it seems to greatly reduce copper fouling, but it isn't a panacea for it doesn't eliminate fouling entirely. I follow the same cleaning protocols as before, and am pleased to find I require fewer passes when cleaning up behind it, and can continue shooting somewhat longer before accuracy goes south but that's about it. I like the powder primarily for the accuracy I get with it and its wonderful metering.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Powder is the easy part.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I've got them all, from Sweets to Speedy's Formula to Kroil, the entire mess. I also have Hoppes White Album Number Nine. I will say that the special sauce I'm liking the most is Wipe Out or Patch out, mostly for what it does to copper. But BR 9 and regular 9 seem to work well enough for the powder part of the equation, knowing that CARBON is a little different than powder fouling.

Of course, if you want your life to be perfect, do what JB does and use Dyna.

What ecactly IS the difference between carbon and powder fouling? I never imagined a difference.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wipe Out is all I use anymore. It works very well for me.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I use to use GM top engine cleaner , they changed the formula - I read it didn't work as well .
SO now I hear SeaFoam cleans carbon out of barrels , just bought a can to try it out .

I don't remove copper anymore a well known LR shooter advised he didn't remove copper - I gave it a try in a few rifles and really enjoy hitting bullseyes first round cold barrel . Just saying .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've been using MC25 to remove the carbon fouling in my rifles. It's water soluble and doesn't smell. It removes the carbon fouling quickly. Of course, you still have copper fouling to be concerned about. I like Wipe-Out, but don't like the foaming action which sometimes gets out of hand. If copper fouling is still an issue after using MC25, I often use Iosso on a shotgun patch wrapped around a undersize brush.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Barnes CR-10

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I use to use GM top engine cleaner , they changed the formula - I read it didn't work as well .
SO now I hear SeaFoam cleans carbon out of barrels , just bought a can to try it out .

I don't remove copper anymore a well known LR shooter advised he didn't remove copper - I gave it a try in a few rifles and really enjoy hitting bullseyes first round cold barrel . Just saying .

that's a old secret of long range shooters, now you left the cat out of the bag, have been doing this for 40 some years

Last edited by gemby58; 03/14/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't quote me on this, but carbon is powder fouling pretty much caked and baked on. You take something burnt and then burn it in more, basically. Powder deposition is when the hot powder gas actually condenses like steam does onto cool metal. But the carbon is when the deposited guck gets nuked onto the metal after it's already attached.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I just finished cleaning a 243 that I had a lot of burnt vitrified carbon in the barrel. Started with Shooters choice, then a bronze brush, then kroil, then a nylon brush, then Butches bore shine, all of this over about two weeks of soaking with no luck. Then I dug out the Wipe Out Foam and Wipe Out accelerator. It still took about a week of overnight soaks. Finally came clean after about three weeks of soaking. In 55 plus years of shooting I have never powder fouled one this bad. I shot H100v.

Last edited by J71248; 03/21/18.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,429
Posts18,470,760
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.