Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
As much as I want to be in, I might be out for the first time in over 20 years. I had rotator-cuff repair 2 weeks ago, and hoping to be able to master my .223 left handed by late May. I usually spend 30+ evenings a spring hunting MT black bears so it will be a tough spring if I cannot get out.

I hope you heal well. Just recovering from a total hip here.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As much as I want to be in, I might be out for the first time in over 20 years. I had rotator-cuff repair 2 weeks ago, and hoping to be able to master my .223 left handed by late May. I usually spend 30+ evenings a spring hunting MT black bears so it will be a tough spring if I cannot get out.

Sorry to hear that.

If you can learn to shoot left shouldered off a bipod, you should be okay.

smile

Enjoy the PT in the meantime....

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I hope to head up to my place in north Idaho this spring and hunt with a neighbor.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
B
A black bear is definitely on my bucket list. I've got a buddy in Pinedale,WY that's been begging me to come out and hunt one with him. I think next year I might head out for a week or two and give it a try!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had a cool hunt in the Oregon Cascades a few years ago. I was following an elk track that I was sure was a bull. It was raining and I was cow calling my way through thick hemlock, alpine fir, and jack pine hoping to jump a bull from his bed and get a quick shot. I was carrying a Savage 99 in 375 WInchester. Saddlering John owns that same rifle now.

It was fairly dark in the woods that day and as I looked ahead I see light coming from a small opening coming up in the timber. It looked like a small meadow about 75 yards by 40 yards. I cow called my way to the edge of the 40' tall pines and poked my head into the open so I could scan the opening for a bull elk. As my eyes adjusted to the light I looked off to my right and see a good sized bear standing with his front feet up on a log, looking right at me from 75 yards, just inside the edge of the timber. He'd been tracking my sound coming toward him, assuming I was a cow elk of course! I had a bear tag so I put one in the front of his neck and dropped him in a pile.

I watched to make sure he wasn't getting up. As I stepped into the meadow and turned to go over there I was pondering my good fortune that I hadn't had an encounter at closer quarters, since he had heard me coming. When I got to the end of the meadow I just about tripped over an elk leg sticking out of the grass. Turns out I was a day behind the bull and the bear had beat me to him! He'd eaten half of him and buried the rest with grass and brush. He was probably sleeping it off when I came along.

They had had quite a struggle. The bear had a hole in his shoulder and another in his forehead. He was stuffed to the gills with elk meat too! He turned out to be a good bear for the Oregon Cascades, a little over 6'. A really beautiful hide and a fantastic memory of a great hunt.

LOL
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

Spring bear here is usually over bait. About the only way to even see one.

We beat the antis when they attempted ballot-box biology.

I have a couple ideas for this spring. Looking forward to it!

I need to motivate my buddies and go after spring Brn bear on sleds. Catch them coming out of the den headed to the calving grounds in unit 13..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

This was a 5 1/2' sow that was aged at 14. After watching this bear for over an hour, I was sure it was a boar. They can be very tough to judge.

Rifle is a Remington KS .280, with a 6X Leupold. 1991.

Killed a Kodiak sow I was certain was a boar after watching it for the small parts of a week where you could see more than a hundred yards. Long story short the stiff-legged gait and slow movements were the result of severe domestic violence directed at her.

On leaving the valley we thought we spotted a big boar wearing a wife-beater headed over the ridge...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

December 14, 1996 I had major shoulder reconstruction for three complete tendon tears and "acromioplasty with Mumford" on my right shoulder... third surgery. On May 14, 1997 I shot a Kodiak brown bear with a 375 H&H and it was no issue. Last July 4 I threw a football for kids for over an hour steady and had zero issues beyond the expected from that kind of work-out.

I cannot throw a football like Uncle Rico any more, but for all the work on it, the results are quite fine for an old fat man...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And my first black bear died 57 years ago... I have no good guess how many I have shot since then...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
And my first black bear died 57 years ago... I have no good guess how many I have shot since then...

Do you think, the time went too fast.
I know it's moving right along for me.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by pointer
Thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind for my next trip. Might just pick the week to hunt and wait to narrow down the area closer to time.

I'm a Cards fan for much of the same reason, but also grew up 2.5hrs from the stadium making it a bit easier to be a fan. I will say I'm a big fan of Miggy!

You probably don't remember the 68' World Series, Tigers-Cards. Bob Gibson's heyday....pals and I listened to the games at school on transistor radios...
My dad graduated HS in '68 and it was 10yrs before I was born, so no first hand recollection. Gibson's season that year changed baseball as it resulted in a lowering of the mound. Read a great interview with him a few years back, he was asked about the scowl he gave when getting the signs. He replied that he didn't pitch angry, just didn't have that good of eye sight... wink When he pitched, he owned the plate and wasn't shy about making sure the batter knew that as well. One thing I love about the internet is being able to access/find videos of those old games.

Last edited by pointer; 03/13/18.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Toot you gonna hunt the Rez up on the pennisula

Toot you gonna hunt the Rez up on the pennisula

Will be hunting out of Forks, Wa again. Last year a real dandy came out and I blew the shot. Going back for a rematch.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Gotcha, lotta bear on the pennisula, good luck.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Wind is blowing about 9-0 here today.......

Might be another picture day....;)

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Start hangin em!! No kelp fed cheater bears either..... grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Here’s one, for conversation.

Pard was huntin a big blacktail buck in late October last year. He was cougaring through some timber, heard something behind him, this bugger was 5’ behind him, turned, swung and fired at the same time hitting it in the face with a 300 win..... the texts started flying immediately, he was damn shaken up.... grin
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He'da really been shaken (like a rag doll) if it got aholt of 'im.....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya he was fairly rattled, for quite a while. I was crying I was Laffin so hard

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Will be baiting and bowhunting this year. Exactly one month from today it opens!

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,379
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.