A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Leonor Flores

I love the smell of a good preference hire working their magic...

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The renderings I've seen of the bridge shows a suspension assembly constructed on top of it. Had the suspension components been attached to the bridge before it collapsed?

[Linked Image]

Art my ass.. It's a fucquing bridge, build it right. You want art paint a pitcher.

LOL
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I do not think that they had the upright installed yet.

They were testing what they had up when things went south.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many factors could be the cause.

I’m as troubled by many of the responses, and ignorance here, especially those making light of the situation, as I am by the state of the youth in our nation.

Studied this bridge failure while still in school, a few moons ago... Hyatt Regency

Those who forget history, are destined to repeat it.

The lost lives had nothing to do with the cause. Have some f’n respect men. They’re bodies are barely cold. If they’re even recovered yet.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Damn.

Hope Sam and his wife are up north.

no problem there. Wife is in Miami, I am up in Gainesville. We never go west of I-95 unless we have to. Thanks though. smile

You remind me of my high school classmate Art Mordvedt. He tries not to go south of 60 degrees north (just south of Anchorage) unless it’s to Antarctica. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MattMan

I’m as troubled by many of the responses, and ignorance here, especially those making light of the situation, as I am by the state of the youth in our nation.

Studied this bridge failure while still in school, a few moons ago.

Hyatt Regency

The lost lives had nothing to do with the cause. Have some f’n respect men. They’re barely cold.

.gov apologists continue to mount the lost lives.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

The biggest one being that it was a suspension bridge without any suspension.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

But it sure would’ve been pretty.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It was still 'under construction'...............

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

But it sure would’ve been pretty.

A bridge of many colors ensured it.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Same guys that engineered the replacement (current) Skyway Bridge.............

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by add

Studied this bridge failure while still in school, a few moons ago.

Hyatt Regency

The lost lives had nothing to do with the cause. Have some f’n respect men. They’re barely cold.

.gov apologists continue to mount lost lives.

Case in point, convienently linked, were’t .gov.

It was .HyattRegency, a private venture pedestrian bridge(s), which was the DEADLIEST CIVILIAN loss of life in a STRUCTURAL FAILURE prior to SEPTEMBER 11, 2001.

Those who are ignorant or forget history are destined to repeat it. Liberal or Conservative.

I’m no liberal.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Too lazy to read, or too hard to click?

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Too lazy to see a pattern with .gov, .edu, .whatever, rewarding contracts based on non-merit grounds?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well you guys would know if you watched MSNBC . Raging Madcow was on about Russian computer hacking. Obviously Russians hacked the engineering firm computer and made a few design changes just for fun. And Trump let it happen.

(No, I don't really watch that trash but most commercials demand flipping.)

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

That could certainly be a factor.

It SHOULD have held itself up until finished.

Hence the linked example from 1981.

“New self washing concrete”?
Lack of adequate cure time for above?
Hurried construction?
Voids in concrete from lack of consolidation?
Lack of compressive strength from segregation in concrete poured in a hurry with high slump?
Design change during construction?
Erection of structure prior to adequate cure of concrete?
Lack of inspection for the interim condition?

Over-reinforced design of a concrete structure, weak concrete, or loads in excess of the compressive strength of the concrete as designed? .... You might be onto something.

Under reinforced design dictates that steel will fail slowly, instead of concrete collapsing. Over reinforced design results in catastrophic failure of concrete prior to steel giving an inch. Hence why a #8 bar in a concrete structure isn’t necessarily better than a #6. Under reinforced means steel will stretch WELL before concrete is in jeopardy.

“Minorities, homos, females, dykes, immigrants, liberal plants, affirmative action”, etc., or whatever anyone here hates, from the responses above, would be squarely off my list of causes.

The responses blamimg those causes are no more responsible than those blaming ARs for innocent civilian deaths.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Condolences and prayers to those still alive who lost souls they cared for as a result of the failure.

Whatever the cause.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The design engineer is probably not going to be at fault unless they signed off on the method of assembly.

Bristoe has it nailed on the missing support.

I believe they call those "cable-stayed spans". You can see the hardware on top of the failed span that would have secured the support cables if they would have existed.

Somebody decided that prefabbing that long span beside the road then tossing it in place was the thing to do.
From whats been said the idea was inspired to limit down time on the road during construction.

Seen those cable-stayed spans built before but the cables were in place as each short segment was constructed.
With it being built for pedestrian load only it was under all but full load when they set it up there.
Can't imagine the engineer that designed it with cable supports would have decided it was OK if it didn't have them for a while.
Who knows......time will tell, somebody will get blamed .

Here is an image of a similar design being assembled possibly more correctly .
A short span and a cable support at a time.

(bigger bridge but same idea)
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Hurried construction?
Lack of compressive strength from segregation in concrete poured in a hurry with high slump?

Over-reinforced design of a concrete structure, weak concrete, or loads in excess of the compressive strength of the concrete as designed? .... You might be onto something.

Under reinforced design dictates that steel will fail slowly, instead of concrete collapsing. Over reinforced design results in catastrophic failure of concrete prior to steel giving an inch. Hence why a #8 bar in a concrete structure isn’t necessarily better than a #6. Under reinforced means steel will stretch WELL before concrete is in jeopardy.

“Minorities, homos, females, dykes, immigrants, liberal plants, affirmative action”, etc., or whatever anyone here hates, from the responses above, would be squarely off my list of causes.

The responses blamimg those causes are no more responsible than those blaming ARs for innocent civilian deaths.

The saddest thing is even square set timbering from a century and a half ago, set in the middle until they got things truly assembled would have prevented the collapse... unless of course it was just too far gone from the true cause of the failure...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Hurried construction?

The saddest thing is even square set timbering from a century and a half ago, set in the middle until they got things truly assembled would have prevented the collapse... unless of course it was just too far gone from the true cause of the failure...

It would have delayed traffic. Which probably wasn’t acceptable. crazy

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,244
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.