Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
What would be a typical cost estimate for a good gunsmith to properly assemble,chamber,crown, bed a custom? I'm not sure what all is necessary,never having built a custom before but I would just like a good estimate of cost of everything a good gunsmith would need to do if he had all the parts.

The thing is that I have to save quite a while to get any of my toys. It might take 6-10 months for me to save enough to buy a custom TI action. I was thinking about buying the parts and then finding a gunsmith. Half the fun of any new rifle or high end piece of equipment for me is the anticipation while I save to get it anyway,so this would provide about 3 years worth of joy.LOL

GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Iv'e paid anywhere between $500.00 and $1000.00, depends on the smith!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I paid more than Ackleyfan did for a couple of them, but the smith already had the majority of parts. I am not sure what it would cost if you provided all of the parts and pieces for the build and were just paying for the labor. A call to Kevin Weaver, Gene Simillion or whoever you have in mind isn't a waste of time. Alot of info to be gained and I'd definitely write down exactly what you want and what you expect from the sum of all your components bolted together.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Iv'e paid anywhere between $500.00 and $1000.00, depends on the smith!
Right in the ballpark IMHO.. I'd be in the $500-700 range for what the OP asks for above - depending on the action..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by beretzs
I paid more than Ackleyfan did for a couple of them, but the smith already had the majority of parts. I am not sure what it would cost if you provided all of the parts and pieces for the build and were just paying for the labor. A call to Kevin Weaver, Gene Simillion or whoever you have in mind isn't a waste of time. Alot of info to be gained and I'd definitely write down exactly what you want and what you expect from the sum of all your components bolted together.

Should have mentioned that I supplied the parts!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I paid $850 to have my only custom put together. That was barrel install, bedding, cerakote, trigger install, and feeding work. I supplied all the parts and told him what I wanted done in writing and everything was done to my satisfaction.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It was a few years ago but one of the best competition/LR gunsmiths in the Midwest charged me less than $500 to true Rem 700, thread/chamber/headspace a new Kreiger barrel, and tune the factory trigger. I took care of the stocking myself. I felt like I got a smoking deal, but I don't think his prices have gone up much since.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
two of the best.mike Bryant and col billy stevens.with a custom action.850.00 or less.they are both very very good.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
ITAR registration for a gunsmith license has bumped up prices somewhat. Get a good smith, you never regret it.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I’m having one done now and supplied all of the parts. Labor is 1125 with cerakote of the metal bedding the stock with pillars muzzle brake and thread protector tuning the trigger and opening up the stock for proof research sendero lite barrel. Borden timberline action.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Paul4
I’m having one done now and supplied all of the parts. Labor is 1125 with cerakote of the metal bedding the stock with pillars muzzle brake and thread protector tuning the trigger and opening up the stock for proof research sendero lite barrel. Borden timberline action.

Derailing my own thread,but what does a Proof Research Sendero Light barrel compare to in weight?

Right now I would like to do this build in 300 Win mag with a Proof Research barrel,Lone peak Ti action,and Manners MCS EH5 stock. Anyone have a ballpark weight I would be at?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I’ll have my rifle done in a about 4 weeks at I’ll get a weight for you. It will be similar as using manners carbon fiber stock in 280ai. The action will be a few ounces heavier on mine.

I also have a proof research summit being delivered tomorrow so I’ll try to get a weight on it. It uses the defiance rebel action but is 6.5 creedmoor so not sure the weight difference to the ti long action.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Paul4
I’ll have my rifle done in a about 4 weeks at I’ll get a weight for you. It will be similar as using manners carbon fiber stock in 280ai. The action will be a few ounces heavier on mine.

I also have a proof research summit being delivered tomorrow so I’ll try to get a weight on it. It uses the defiance rebel action but is 6.5 creedmoor so not sure the weight difference to the ti long action.

Thanks Paul,.no hurry, but any info would be great.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Horizon has a pretty good deal. It's their "REBARREL" service.

$999 and includes all of this:

Our rebarrel process includes truing the factory action and trigger, replacing the barrel with a Benchmark barrel (available with or without flutes – fluting at an additional charge) that has been hand lapped and contoured to your specifications and securely bedding the action in the stock. We also adjust the trigger (and can provide custom triggers at an additional cost), securely bed the action into the stock, and lastly, we test shoot the rebarreled rifle for groups (depending on the caliber there might be an additional charge for ammo).

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
What would be a typical cost estimate for a good gunsmith to properly assemble,chamber,crown, bed a custom? I'm not sure what all is necessary,never having built a custom before but I would just like a good estimate of cost of everything a good gunsmith would need to do if he had all the parts.

The thing is that I have to save quite a while to get any of my toys. It might take 6-10 months for me to save enough to buy a custom TI action. I was thinking about buying the parts and then finding a gunsmith. Half the fun of any new rifle or high end piece of equipment for me is the anticipation while I save to get it anyway,so this would provide about 3 years worth of joy.LOL

It all depends on what parts you want. Just like building a hot rod car. The sky is the limit. You can use an old donor action from a used $200 savage, or get a custom made action that set's you back $3k. Same with barrels, triggers etc. A chrome molly or stainless ? Fluted ? Carbon fiber wrapped ? I've purchased ER Shaw close out over runs for $30 that shoot very well. Or you could spend a grand $1k on carbon wrapped barrel. Same with the stock. You can buy a Boyds stock for $100, a McMillian Stock for $600 or a high end hand made custom hardwood stock with beautiful checkering and inlays for $10,000.00.

I'm in the middle of doing the same thing that you are looking at. Bought a Defiant Rebel action with a custom 20 MOA rail built into the action. Included a custom serial number. Increased tenon length on the action. I can't remember the price of the action as I purchased it about 3-4 years ago. Thinking it was around $1100-$1200 ??? Then had to wait almost a year for it to be completed. I purchased a McMillan stock through Rick Bin here on the campfire. IIRC It was around $600. The barrel for this build was a Shilen, and once again, I cannot remember the cost. Got it on sale. Thinking it was around $200. Then you need a trigger, rings, scope and the list goes on. I am fortunate to have a close friend here on the campfire that has a lathe. He can cut, crown, and chamber the barrel for me for free. That saves a lot of money.

Good luck on your build. Let us know what you're plans are other than a TI action. Chambering ? Stock ? etc.

Owl

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Owl

It all depends on what parts you want. Just like building a hot rod car. The sky is the limit. You can use an old donor action from a used $200 savage, or get a custom made action that set's you back $3k. Same with barrels, triggers etc. A chrome molly or stainless ? Fluted ? Carbon fiber wrapped ? I've purchased ER Shaw close out over runs for $30 that shoot very well. Or you could spend a grand $1k on carbon wrapped barrel. Same with the stock. You can buy a Boyds stock for $100, a McMillian Stock for $600 or a high end hand made custom hardwood stock with beautiful checkering and inlays for $10,000.00.

I'm in the middle of doing the same thing that you are looking at. Bought a Defiant Rebel action with a custom 20 MOA rail built into the action. Included a custom serial number. Increased tenon length on the action. I can't remember the price of the action as I purchased it about 3-4 years ago. Thinking it was around $1100-$1200 ??? Then had to wait almost a year for it to be completed. I purchased a McMillan stock through Rick Bin here on the campfire. IIRC It was around $600. The barrel for this build was a Shilen, and once again, I cannot remember the cost. Got it on sale. Thinking it was around $200. Then you need a trigger, rings, scope and the list goes on. I am fortunate to have a close friend here on the campfire that has a lathe. He can cut, crown, and chamber the barrel for me for free. That saves a lot of money.

Good luck on your build. Let us know what you're plans are other than a TI action. Chambering ? Stock ? etc.

Owl

I believe the OP was asking about the gunsmith's labor charges to machine and put together parts already in hand.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't remember a full custom coming in under $1,100 since before the turn of the century. The last one that I had done, year before last, was $1,410 and I supplied the action.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Owl

Owl

I believe the OP was asking about the gunsmith's labor charges to machine and put together parts already in hand.

Like I said, all depends on the parts. Anyone can screw a pre-machined barrel onto a savage action, and drop the barreled action into a boyds stock. If the barrel needs chambered and threaded, that's an additional fee. Needs a new trigger, another installation fee. TIME = MONEY. Nothing is free. The more work required, the more money you're going to pay.

Originally Posted by mudhen
I can't remember a full custom coming in under $1,100 since before the turn of the century. The last one that I had done, year before last, was $1,410 and I supplied the action.

Just like mudhen states - he paid $1400+ 2 years ago.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is how I would expect it to break down:

Labor
$75-$100 to chamber ($50 more if it is a "safety breech" and $50 more if it needs an extractor cut)
$75 additional to thread the barrel
$75-$100 to cut and/or crown
$75 additional if threaded for a brake/can (plus $75 to blend/time the brake, if needed)
$25 for a generic purchased thread protector ($75-$100 for a custom)
$100-$150 for bedding depending on the amount of work needed on the stock (pillar bedding would be more)

Parts
Avg barrel price is $280-$400
Avg muzzle brake is $40-$120
Avg stock is $150-$700
Avg trigger is $60-$250
Avg scope base and rings: $25-$200

Misc
If working on a surplus bolt action:
$50 to D&T for bases
$60-$120 for the bolt handle to clear a scope
$60-$100 for magazine work (if needed)
$50-$250 for a safety (as high as $600)
$75- $400 for feed rail work (if needed)
I'd add an additional $100-$200 for charge hump or sight base removal, or to face the receiver.

The finish could be all over the map depending on the rifle and type of finish. $100- $800
Optics would be from $300-$3500

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Have had several built in the last 10 years
Last 2 was a 280 ai and a 300 rum
I gathered up all my parts before hand and bills have been between 700.00 n a 1000.00
Not counting parts

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.