Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey Ted

Sounds like a great roster for hunting ! !

Good Luck in all adventures.

Good Luck & God bless in surgery.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now that we can use scopes on ML's in Mn., I'm gonna buy an inline and do some ML hunting this fall. Lots of deer to be had. Just got to get a gun worked up and have at it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll put in for New England Moose permits and PA Elk. If I happen to pull a permit I'll take my .45/70.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Hey Ted

Sounds like a great roster for hunting ! !

Good Luck in all adventures.

Good Luck & God bless in surgery.

Jerry

Thanks

I'll be 49 in August...... kinda young for cataracts

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
October - mule deer in WY, and I drew a cow elk tag too so looking forward to my first elk hunt. Likely continue my winning streak with my 6.5 SAUM, don’t know why I even mess with other rifles....

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
After deer ended Jan 1, I stayed after duck till their season ended, then geese, and now I’m on quail and squirrel- but their seasons end tomorrow and it looks like I won’t make it out again. Hunting public land in NC so I’ll be scouting even more this year, last year I didn’t see a single deer in December (while I was hunting) except for the few days I was home in WV around Christmas. Might make a trip to the Pisgah National Forest on a weekend this fall because I like hunting in the mountains like I grew up doing better than these eastern pine forests. Mostly saving up to go west in 2019.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Thanks to everyone who replies to threads like this. Great to hear what opportunities look like for like minded folks across the country. I'm pretty lucky out here in OR... it isn't always super glamorous monster bucks but I have a good time and plenty of opportunity.

Jan and Feb were for gear tinkering... picked up a new stainless ruger American 22lr and a tikka superlite in 6.5. Still need to decide on and purchase a scope for the 6.5 tikka. Plus sold some guns and gear to make room. Usually this time is focused on winter steelhead but not this year... some issues at home kept me close.

March will be several trips for rabbits with the new .22. Found some great public land rabbit spots in the last year. Scouting for turkeys too

April will be turkey hunting, bass fishing, and hopefully open access to a few higher elevation lakes for trout.
May is turkey and PRIME bass fishing, plus trout.
June, July shooting guns and fishing.
August, September more shooting and summer steelhead.

October deer... which for me means an Oregon OTC buck tag this year. I burned my points last year so it's OTC hunting blacktails on the west side of the state. Should draw an antlerless deer tag this year too to get some more meat.

Then November will be more deer hunting. This year I'm planning a whitetail hunt in northern Idaho. OTC tag.

Late November or early December (depending on tag drawn) will be the annual antlerless elk hunt. Freezer filing and great fun with friends.

Then late December maybe some winter steelhead to start it all over again.

Guns:
Shotgun is a 12g rem 870(probably going to upgrade this season... looking hard at a benelli pump and maybe a separate dedicated turkey gun)

Elk: Tikka SS lite 30-06. Leupold 3-9

Deer: new tikka SL in 6.5. Scope TBD. Or my savage lightweight in .308 with Leupold 2-7

.22 is a ruger American stainless 22lr with Leupold 2-7 rimfire.

Should be fun...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Back to N.Y. Adirondack's for this boy who showed at night 12 day's at his scrape.Will have the Ti 308 on my lap. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’ve started thinking about a possible trip to Wyoming this year if I can get a leftover antelope doe tag. If I remember correctly, the nonres is still only $34. Just to get a little practice with spot and stalk. Doubt it’ll happen but one can dream.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
2018 hunting season begins here for me in CO with Turkey in mid-April. Will draw a Whitetail tag to hunt my farm, last season saw a big, wide-racked 9-point, but only had a doe license. I know he made it thru hunting season, so hopefully he will show up this fall, a year older and bigger! Will also draw a turkey tag, so I maybe have a chance at a big Whitetail and a fall turkey in the same location.
I plan to use my Ruger #1 in .257 Roberts, for both the whitetail and the turkey.

In mid-October, it's back to Missouri, to do the obligatory family visit with the wife's relatives, then down to the Ozarks for a Sika deer buck and another Fallow doe for the freezer.
In November, the Pheasant seasons fire up, time to take my pointing Lab afield and chase birds for a while.

Can't forget our trip to Africa, in August, hunting the Eastern Cape for several species of the 'Tiny Ten' antelopes.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Looking like:

Turkeys in April-May
Hogs all year
Axis hunt with the Poobah in May
Whitetails Nov-Jan (first week)
Mule Deer Nov- Jan

McWhorter 7-08, 140 AB, 140 Partition, 120 BT
Tikka T3X 6.5 Creed, not sure about hunting bullet choice yet,

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Home state PA turkey
Montana Elk/deer hunt. Not sure if I will be packing the gun or bow.
Pa and New York deer and bear

Hunt...
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a hunt lined up for Ohio. Just bought a Christensen Arms Mesa in 450 Bushmaster for the hunt. Maybe a gentlemens prairie dog hunt in Montana with my best bud. Fall puts me on my home turf for white tails.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Oct - Hogs & deer in South Carolina
Nov - Deer in Nebraska and Kentucky

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a 98 Mauser custom that I rebarreled to 6.5-284. It’s going to be hunting something/somewhere out west. If we draw a tag in Idaho, it will be elk. If we don’t get a tag, antelope in Wyoming. If I can’t get enough guys for Wyoming then mule deer in Nebraska. It’s gonna shoot something, and if all else fails whitetail in good ole’ Pa/Ny.

P.S- haven’t actually seen how it shoots yet, so plans may change.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 48 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,058
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.