Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
'03 Springfield and Mauser, Winchester 54, Krag-Jorgensen, AR-15 (well, you do need something to pick the firing pin retaining cotter pin out).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by jorgeI
well, not a 700 or an A bolt...or a Weatherby

What's so hard about the 700?

Dave

Nothing, unless you wear Velcro sneakers.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
'03 Springfield and Mauser, Winchester 54, Krag-Jorgensen, AR-15 (well, you do need something to pick the firing pin retaining cotter pin out).

A loaded cartridge.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Model 77 needs a small strong pin or finishing nail to put through the cocking piece, a Model 700 needs a dime and a strong bootlace. The 77 is easiest to insert the pin, you just rotate the cocking piece backwards a little bit, you'll need a strong bootlace or hard shelf of some kind to pull back the 700 striker far enough to insert the dime. So you'd need at least a nail or pin of the right size in your kit for the 77 and a dime for the 700. Btw, once you get the 700 bolt disassembled don't knock that dime out of place. wink

Neither of them is as easy as the classic 3 position safety rifles like a Mauser 98 (unconverted to two position type), Model 70 or the new MRC 1999. If you know what you're doing you can take a Mauser bolt completely apart in the field. In fact, that little metal stud with the hole in it in the stocks of German K98's is there to allow you to compress the firing pin spring to remove the striker, safety and spring.

Couldn't tell you about any other models as I only have experience disassembling those mentioned.

I have two Ruger M77, one MK II, and the other a Hawkeye African (both .338s). Anyway, I can strip the bolt without any tools (small nail or a piece of wire), and I am not really that strong (just an old guy). All you need is a good grip, one on the bolt and the other on the "whatyoumaycallit" that holds the firing pin. Just turn the "whateverit's called" CCW while firmly holding the bolt. There is a small grove or detent that you must go over, but once you do, it's a piece of cake. A finish nail or brad makes it much easier, of course.

Last edited by Ray; 03/13/18.
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The whole thing amounts to having the initiative to do what must be done when afield. For example, take a look at this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCuY-w9Y6oY

Just carry another set of shoe laces smile

Last edited by Ray; 03/13/18.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, ya know, that's why Herr Mauser created his rifle with the three position safety and easy bolt stripping - the German Army wore boots with no laces... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Well, hmmm. If you need to field strip a bolt during a hunt, aside from falling into a river in sub freezing temps, I’d say you didn’t perform adequate maintenance before hunting season. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Dave

Nothing, unless you wear Velcro sneakers.

Even the most strident 700 aficionado can discern the difference between ease of disassembly between a 700 and the other rifles mentioned, 70, Mauser, etc, but I understand.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So do we jorge.

Jerr

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Only rifles that I've ever had a bolt problem with is Remington 700 2 broken extractors .....once on the 3 rd round in a Custom Shop rifle....then on a wilderness helicopter bear hunt leaving the rifle a single shot with one tag left and no spare rifle in camp....both needed a cleaning rod to remove fired case from chamber.....

I would never ever own a Remington 700 ever again.....Winchester Model 70's pre-64 type or a clone is the only way to go.....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Among moden designs, it's Howa for the win, for certain. The CZ 527 (not a likely candidate for a remote big game hunt) is the same, except the bolt handle falls out.

98s without the 3-position safety require (for me anyway) a cut-off .45/70 case to pull on the cocking piece, a dime to put in the notch, and a little drill press vice to hold the dime.

In the absence of the vice, a friend can be substituted, if available, as long the friend's not a Chinese woman.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
Only rifles that I've ever had a bolt problem with is Remington 700 2 broken extractors .....once on the 3 rd round in a Custom Shop rifle....then on a wilderness helicopter bear hunt leaving the rifle a single shot with one tag left and no spare rifle in camp....both needed a cleaning rod to remove fired case from chamber.....

I would never ever own a Remington 700 ever again.....Winchester Model 70's pre-64 type or a clone is the only way to go.....

Prepare for the wrath that will befall you....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In 2016 built a 6mmBR on a Rem700 action, drove 900 miles did some target practice before hunting and pierced some primers.

We had to take the bolt apart to troubleshoot misfires. We found out about the dime trick, and found the bolt was full of pierced primer divots.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Steyr SBS
Howa/Vanguard
Sako
Ruger 77
Tikka T3x

in that order, no tools needed for all but the Ruger with a finishing nail

Out of all of these the Weatherby Mark V can be "completely" field stripped if one has a shoe string or a sharp edge to catch the cocking piece.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 03/14/18. Reason: added Mark V to the list
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by coyotewacker

Prepare for the wrath that will befall you....

Now, now ... those who will consign him to the outer darkness are very valid in their actions; after all, since it has never happened to them, it has never happened to him (or anyone else).

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Dave

You need a shoelace, a penny and eye of newt to field strip....

It's a pretty simple undertaking.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Dave

You need a shoelace, a penny and eye of newt to field strip....

It's a pretty simple undertaking.

Dave

Not if you're broke, barefoot, and Mr. Gingrich is unwilling to go the Moshe Dayan route.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've found that people that worry about schit like this also don't routinely carry appropriate allen keys, torx wrenches, or screwdrivers. Which increases your chances of being SOL by tenfold.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Of all the things to prepare for and worry about, the bolt is about bottom on the list.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M70 is super easy, 700 almost as easy.

Never needed to during a hunt though.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 16penny, 65 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,877
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.