-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some dies aren't quite right. My Redding neck sizing die for .223 will push the shoulder back about .003" if screwed down to the shell holder. I suspect the die instead of the rifle because the fired cases gage SAAMI length. For the die to be right it would mean both the rifle and the gage had to be wrong.

I also have a 6.5 Swede die from RCBS that will not set the shoulder back unless I screw the die in about .003" - .006" farther than the shell holder. Theoretically this shouldn't work but it does.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Adams
Originally Posted by smokepole

Ya think?

Smokepole for a gay guy you are one dumb Sum of Bich. Not all .308 bullets measure .308. Some will be slightly over and some under. I measured some .277 that my micrometer measured .277. Likely it's off but most are slightly off. But might be .0008 or .0006. Before you speak out so stupidly do some research. Dumb A$$.

Instead of sitting on your computer all day long on this site get out a live a little and do some things so you can report real world experience instead of spewing out crap you know nothing about.

Quoted by someone who is having a problem and then makes this statement about someone he
knows nothing about?

I don't think Smoke would be on line asking the type of question you're asking
as he'd have no problem figuring it out....

I'd bank on his real world experience 100 times over someone as clueless as you are demonstrating...

but you keyboard commandos don't let anyone get in your way...

sounds like you and "Trystan" need to get a life... not SmokePole..

Feel free to bad mouth me now...

but when you do, don't forget to insult my dog, and let me know my mother wears combat boots...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Adams
Finally getting back here to post about my experience with customer service rep at Redding.

The Redding rep had me do everything by outside dimensions of the case neck. I gave him the following dimensions. Again using Winchester casings.

Before resizing shot casing .345
Original unused casings measured .331
After resizing with the die I use for my x-bolt measured .330
After resizing with the die that I'm having an issue with measured .334 This would be too loose for all the Winchester made 308 brass I've encountered in the last ten years or more. On the other hand it would be quite a good die to use with LC, Federal and Lapua brass.

Rep claimed the die I'm having an issue with which has an outside measurement of .334 was within specification. Rep said my brass is to thin. Claimed this was a common problem with Winchester brass. He stated the die that was resizing to .330 was of the edge of being out of spec. Said if was going to replace one it would be that one. I said I'm not going to give that one up as I much rather have the die resizing to .330. All the Winchester brass in all the different calibers I've resized I've never had this issue. So maybe I have a bad bag of casing not sure.

So I guess if I want to use this brass I have to run it through both dies as the x-bolt die is not full resizingWhat does that mean? Is it a neck size die? Is it a FL die adjusted backed off? If the latter then just adjust it according to the needs of the cartridges being made in any given situation. It isn't hard to adjust dies on the fly once you do it once or twice. I don't think I have a single die with the set screw tightened, and I've loaded more than a little bit of ammunition. and the die I'm having the problem with it setup to full length resize because this is being used in a pump action rifle. How much difference is there in the case head to shoulder datum line distance for fired brass from the two rifles? If you don't know this then you may be creating unnecessary work for yourself. It could well be the case that a single, light full length sizing setting would be just right for smooth chambering in both. Doesn't sound right to me but I don't have enough knowledge on subject to make an argument one way or the other.

T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by SEM
tcp, you were able to load the same brass successfully with the Forster dies with out problem? I have had similar problems but was mostly the brass its self especially match brass

yes.

I now use the Redding dies for "thick" brass such as Norma and the Forster dies for the Winchester brass.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 15 invisible), 1,575 guests, and 862 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,607
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.