A
Adams Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by smokepole

Ya think?

Smokepole for a gay guy you are one dumb Sum of Bich. Not all .308 bullets measure .308. Some will be slightly over and some under. I measured some .277 that my micrometer measured .277. Likely it's off but most are slightly off. But might be .0008 or .0006. Before you speak out so stupidly do some research. Dumb A$$.

Instead of sitting on your computer all day long on this site get out a live a little and do some things so you can report real world experience instead of spewing out crap you know nothing about.

GB1

A
Adams Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
For what it's worth, I just tried pushing a .243" bullet into a .241" neck with my fingers, and couldn't. I don't want to go back and read everything again, so will ask. Are both sizing dies giving you the same results?

I got one hornady bullet I can push in with my fingers but can't pull it out with my fingers. All the rest of the bullets I can. My other die set in .308 is much tighter and measures the same as new cases at .303 inside diameter maybe .304 if my micrometer is off a full .001 but most likely it's somewhere between there. So there is obviously a problem with die and needs replacement. .002 on your .243 is not a lot of neck tension.

Any other die sets I have I can't put any of the bullets in with my fingers. I have die sets for 8 different calibers all of them Redding.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
most pumps and semi-auto`s you should use small base dies to full length size your used brass or just best to use new brass always you will have less trouble.good luck,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Adams

Am I reading that right that a 0.308" bullet is falling into a 0.306" hole?

All my .308 bullets Hornady and Nolslers vary from .306.5 to .307. Maybe my micrometer is off .001. But it's all relative. I'd be curious to find out if my micrometer is off .001?

I'd say that's a pretty good sign your micrometer is off a bit. Bullets do vary a little in diameter, but not that much unless they're very old. Anything of more recent manufacture should be very close to .308", close enough to calibrate your micrometer to and be within a half thou (.0005"). Just in case you didn't know, most micrometers are adjustable, and need to be recalibrated sometimes especially if they've been tightened down with too much force.

Originally Posted by pete53
most pumps and semi-auto`s you should use small base dies to full length size your used brass or just best to use new brass always you will have less trouble.good luck,Pete53

I'm sure you mean well, but that just isn't true. Very few barrels actually need small base dies.

Originally Posted by gemby58
Originally Posted by Yondering

Also, adjusting the die to fit brass to your rifle is much better than just running it down to the shellholder, and it's not difficult to do.

this method is fine for bolt action rifles as they have the camming action to close the bolt. I seen many pumps. lever, and semi auto actions jam using this method, you better off using small base dies for these actions. If you size this way for those actions you may get away for it for awhile but it will bite you in the azz down the road.

Again, no. Fitting to your chamber means fitting, not whatever you're assuming. It doesn't matter what kind of action it is, if it's too tight, you didn't adjust the sizing die right. Small base dies are not necessary. Measure headspace on the fired and the sized brass to make sure it's being bumped back an appropriate amount, rather than screwing the die down to the shell holder and potentially having excess headspace. A good rule of thumb is to bump shoulders back .001"-.002" for bolt actions and .002"-.004" for semi-autos and pump guns. Do you know how to do that?

Last edited by Yondering; 03/18/18.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Questioning if I'm loosing my mind.

Loosing or losing?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Ya think?

Smokepole for a gay guy you are one dumb Sum of Bich. Not all .308 bullets measure .308. Some will be slightly over and some under. I measured some .277 that my micrometer measured .277. Likely it's off but most are slightly off. But might be .0008 or .0006. Before you speak out so stupidly do some research. Dumb A$$.

Instead of sitting on your computer all day long on this site get out a live a little and do some things so you can report real world experience instead of spewing out crap you know nothing about.

LOL, right Morticia. All the bullet manufacturers make .308 bullets that measure .306.5---.307 and your micrometer is dead nuts on.

I'd like to buy you for what you're worth, and sell you for what you think you're worth. I'd double my money and be all the way to paying for half a cup of coffee.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Adams, the only problem I've ever had with a Redding die was out of specification. It was a die labeled 6.5x284 which was actually 6mmx284. I called Sinclair and they said send it back with a label do not resell out of spec. In your case just call Redding customer service they will make good.

(607) 753-3331

Good luck and shoot straight

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Am I reading that right that a 0.308" bullet is falling into a 0.306" hole?

All my .308 bullets Hornady and Nolslers vary from .306.5 to .307. Maybe my micrometer is off .001. But it's all relative. I'd be curious to find out if my micrometer is off .001?

You guys piqued my interest sufficiently to energize me to go into the gun room and measure a few .30-caliber bullets. I grabbed four boxes that had been opened and extracted five each of 130 TTSXs, 150 ABs, 165 BTs and 180 Partitions. Every bullet mic'ed precisely .308".

I think that you may need to buy a new and/or better micrometer.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Too many guys think they can measure to 3 places with a set of calipers, dial or digital. Even a 3 place micrometer can be off .001 + depending on the owner's technique.

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/19/18.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Never had any issue with Redding Dies or Forster. Both RCBS and Lee will work with sending the die in with three fired and un-sized cases. Both can adjust to factory specs or custom hone to your chamber depending on which you specify. Or they just replace the dye at no cost.

Also check the shell holder height or be sure to use a Redding just to eliminate another variable. If I have to start sweating 0.001" +/- 0.0005" I start loosing my mind quick.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

S
SEM Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
no wonder reloading is so danggorus

if you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Ya think?

LOL, right Morticia. All the bullet manufacturers make .308 bullets that measure .306.5---.307 and your micrometer is dead nuts on.

I'd like to buy you for what you're worth, and sell you for what you think you're worth. I'd double my money and be all the way to paying for half a cup of coffee.

You wanna step out back and find out what your worth? Didn't think so Coward! I'd take a 50 cent half cup of coffee any day before I drink a 3 cent cup of piss. Think about that real hard!!!

Adams,

Hey friend did you get to the bottom of the die problem?

Only other thing I can think of is if your brass might have been neck turned, Or its a faulty die.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Trystan

Ya think?

You wanna step out back and find out what your worth? Didn't think so Coward!

Just saw this. Gladly, sport.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Adams Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Finally getting back here to post about my experience with customer service rep at Redding.

The Redding rep had me do everything by outside dimensions of the case neck. I gave him the following dimensions. Again using Winchester casings.

Before resizing shot casing .345
Original unused casings measured .331
After resizing with the die I use for my x-bolt measured .330
After resizing with the die that I'm having an issue with measured .334

Rep claimed the die I'm having an issue with which has an outside measurement of .334 was within specification. Rep said my brass is to thin. Claimed this was a common problem with Winchester brass. He stated the die that was resizing to .330 was of the edge of being out of spec. Said if was going to replace one it would be that one. I said I'm not going to give that one up as I much rather have the die resizing to .330. All the Winchester brass in all the different calibers I've resized I've never had this issue. So maybe I have a bad bag of casing not sure.

So I guess if I want to use this brass I have to run it through both dies as the x-bolt die is not full resizing and the die I'm having the problem with it setup to full length resize because this is being used in a pump action rifle. Doesn't sound right to me but I don't have enough knowledge on subject to make an argument one way or the other.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
So after sizing the brass with the .334 die, set up the .330 die to partial neck size the .334 stuff. You should then be able to use the Win brass.

And if you can get another make of brass, R-P maybe, and you have a mic. measure the wall thickness of both makes,see indeed if that`s the problem.

You will also have a valid argument for the CSR at Redding.

Good luck.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Any product manufactured in bulk "will" have defects.
QA does not prevent this, though it can reduce the incidence of it. QA manages the defective product out of the production flow if properly implemented and executed.
I have a set of Hornady dies here that after FLS will not hold a bullet.

QA is just a certificate until proven.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are these dies using a expander ball? The problem die sounds like the expander is too large. Check it.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
A
Adams Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Youper
Are these dies using a expander ball? The problem die sounds like the expander is too large. Check it.

Case doesn't even touch the expander ball. I can slide bullets in and out of resized cases with my fingers with very little resistance.

T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have had the same experience with my Redding 30 06 FL resizing die and Winchester brass. I also called Redding customer service and was less than impressed. The Winchester brass I have has .012-.013"neck wall thickness, new out of the bag. Brass fully resized in the Redding die won't hold a bullet. The expander ball doesn't touch the neck on the upstroke.

Forster dies have been better as is their customer service.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
S
SEM Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
tcp, you were able to load the same brass successfully with the Forster dies with out problem? I have had similar problems but was mostly the brass its self especially match brass

if you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,095
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.