Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I did not answer the basic question, "Do they work?" in my experience the answer is yes. My objection is that they are ugly.

jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I god in consultation with John Moses Browning had come to the conclusion that sticking a potato on the end of a shotgun barrel was a decent moral thing to be done, every shotgun after the Winchester model 97 would have had one.

The only thing they are good for is to use it like knob end on a baseball bat. Used thus, a poly choke is a useful addition to a shotgun barrel when you need a club for beating on something/one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like it just fine. I have a poly choke on an old mossberg bolt action 12ga. Shotgun. Best bird gun I've ever used. I knock down pheasant with this gun after other hunters have given up as out of range (I have witnessess). smile
Just passed this gun down to my son this past Christmas.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I find the bolt action to be way more objectionable than the Poly Choke. eek

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
I find the bolt action to be way more objectionable than the Poly Choke. eek

My grandfather hunted with a single shot hinge action shotgun for most of his life. My father bought it for him with his very first real paycheck. He went from one shot to 3! It has now passed to a fourth generation. It will fire anything from rabbit and bird shot to 2 3/4" deer slugs. The only thing it has ever needed, was new extractors. I carried it for a lot of years myself. I like it just fine.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I got one of those bolt action Poly Choked Mossbergs branded with Ward's Western Field for Christmas when I was about 14 or 15. Talk about a bummer, but the bolt was far more repulsive than he choke. A few years later, I got lucky and had the winning lottery ticket for a new Ithica Model 37 pump.

Happy, happy,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I completely understand the sentiments, K; just messin' on ya a little. You have to admit that a bolt is not most folks' cup of tea when it comes to shotguns; neither is the PC, but for most it is more tolerable than a bolt action. But as my dad used to say: "Use it up, wear it out; make it do, or do without." Earlier generations used and were more grateful for what they had, whether they bought it themselves or it was gifted to them.

Heck, I'm not even that big of a fan of bolt action rifles!

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
I completely understand the sentiments, K; just messin' on ya a little. You have to admit that a bolt is not most folks' cup of tea when it comes to shotguns; neither is the PC, but for most it is more tolerable than a bolt action. But as my dad used to say: "Use it up, wear it out; make it do, or do without." Earlier generations used and were more grateful for what they had, whether they bought it themselves or it was gifted to them.

Heck, I'm not even that big of a fan of bolt action rifles!

I have no issues with bolt action shotguns or rifles. I am nearly as fast with the bolt as with a pump. I nailed 2 deer in 2 shots with that shotgun, and they were running.

(Edit: That is a foster type slug not shot )

Last edited by kellory; 05/24/18.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by 5sdad
They made extra barrels for each of the guns made, yet some thought a chanker on the end was the better option.

Did anyone make a quiver, scabbard, or some other holster-type device for carrying those extra barrels along in the field?

grin

Back then, like today, chokes are mostly overrated. Most would be better off learning just how far an IC or Mod will take them instead of worrying about having the perfect choke. And except for skeet and trap the perfect choke for the given opportunity is rare.

I agree on improved cylinder choke. I owned two hunting lodges in South America. Banged away at thousands and thousands of birds every year. Improved cylinder gets the job done at everything from 15 yards out to 40 which seems to be the shot most decent wingshooters can kill consistantly.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by martineta
Originally Posted by 5sdad
They made extra barrels for each of the guns made, yet some thought a chanker on the end was the better option.

Did anyone make a quiver, scabbard, or some other holster-type device for carrying those extra barrels along in the field?

grin

Back then, like today, chokes are mostly overrated. Most would be better off learning just how far an IC or Mod will take them instead of worrying about having the perfect choke. And except for skeet and trap the perfect choke for the given opportunity is rare.

I agree on improved cylinder choke. I owned two hunting lodges in South America. Banged away at thousands and thousands of birds every year. Improved cylinder gets the job done at everything from 15 yards out to 40 which seems to be the shot most decent wingshooters can kill consistantly.
Improved cylinder sucks for squirrels and turkeys and therein lies the rub. Here squirrel, rabbit, grouse, timberdoodle and turkey may all be on the menu on any particular day and it's nice to be able to change chokes to suit with a twist of the wrist.

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have no experience with a genuine, name-brand PolyChoke, but I once had a shotgun with a clone collect-type adjustable choke. That choke had numbers 1-8 on it, each with a click. It also had a line of print on it telling me that adjustment should be limited to two turns. BUT, from tightened all the way down to loosened where it came apart was twelve turns, and I was never sure where those two turns should be in there. Much informal patterning (I didn't count pellets inside 30 inch circles) showed little difference between one setting and another. I did notice that whatever loads I shot through it tended to soot it up pretty fast. I eventually had it taken off and slug sights mounted on the resulting 24 inch barrel, and later bought a 28" "mod" barrel.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Bought an 870 with a Poly-Choke and it hit over a foot low when I patterned it. The bead sat on a pedestal, and I ended up replacing the barrel (with a 26 inch improved cylinder). I have a 20 gauge Mossberg pump with their version and absolutely love it. It hammers pheasants and I have lost count of the straights I have shot with it on the skeet field.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Back around 1974, I purchased an 870 and had a poly choke installed. Patterned it at 20yds.Over a foot low. Sent it back and was told that they bent the barrel to bring the point of impact up..... Other than that, it worked great.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
They are incredibly ugly... but with that said I own an old Win 12 spoting a polychoke that patterns so well it has became my dedicated turkey gun! Go figure!

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Birds in a bag is what counts. Who gives a fug how your gun looks?

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
I think the {PloyChoke is a better idea than screw in chokes because it's easier to change the choke constriction.

The only disadvantage is they are "ugly." But why do many of the same people who think they're ugly think AR15s, with all their excressences, look "cool?"

Full disclosure: I don't have one because I shoot Over/Unders.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mines not a Poly but a Lyman. Sure like it, as if you're in the dove fields and the birds are zooming close by, you can simply open up your pattern. Same goes for the high flyers!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad had a Westernfield 550 (Monkey Wards Mossberg) with a PC.

Uckin' fugly as a mud fence, but worked extremely well.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have had guns with poly chokes on them.. My last was a model 12.. Liked it fine... Just pasted on a 870 16 ga. with a rib and Poly.. Kind of wish I had bought it now, but getting a 16 at my age will leave several cases of 12 and 28 unused...

Molon Labe
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I had a couple on guns I owned, they worked fine

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 57 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,931
Posts18,498,662
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.