Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Tenring Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I just got my new Winchester Safari Express in 375 H&H and cleaned it up, removed the thick oil, etc., etc. Mounted new optics and then came the sling. The hole in the barrel band was too small for any of my sling swivels. I took a punch and tapped it in the barrel band to remove any buildup or loose metal that might have been in there. Finally, one of my swivels got started. I started tapping it in the band and then the band began rotating. After I got the swivel all the way in, I tapped the barrel band back to where it belonged. Is this normal? This is my first big bore, but I have owned Winchester model 70's for decades. However, no experience with barrel bands. If this should not happen, can I just put some bedding compound under it and go from there?

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Ask at Gunsmithing. I think they are installed with something more lasting than what you've got. Cold welded or something like that.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would have it either silver soldered or pinned in place. It shouldn't move. Something like JB Weld might work but never tried it.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hell no! The band should not move. You may want to contact Winchester since the rifle is new. I had the same issue with the sling swivel not fitting (but the band is rock solid). Since I normally never use a sling it was rather embarassing on my first day in Namibia when I found this out. Fortunately the PH had a drill bit that was sized perfectly and running it though just using my fingers cleaned up the hole. I have the same rifle and the thing is a real shooter. Probably about 800 rounds through it so far.
Good luck with the issue and the rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ya that's not right. It will cause you problems, the barrel is tapered and it will slide forward and come loose at some point. ( probably at the worst possible time)

It should be soldered in place. You could epoxy it since the gun is already blued that would work I have done a couple that way and they are holding up great.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Shouldn't move.

Since it's blued, and soldering it will require a re-blue, use Loctite 380 Black Max adhesive. It's available from Midway.

I used it a few years ago on a barrel band on a 416 and it's still going strong.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I can add that 640 bearing retainer loctite is hell for stout, requiring heat to remove later and some serious pounding with a 2x4 block and 3 pound hammer on AR 15 front sight base bands...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If the tolerances are tight it can be clamped in place by heating the band and cooling the barrel but silver solder or epoxy is a sure thing. Loctite sounds easier.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have used Loctite for this application- held just fine.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Tenring Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
How do I get the Loctite under the band?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a green loctite which is supposed to creep along threads by capillary action, but IIRC there is a loctite specifically for applications like sight bands and ribs. Tapping the band forward, cleaning with acetone and using the correct loctite would be my choice even if there are a couple scratches or just sending it back to the manufacturer.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,719
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.