-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
John 3:16 Ranks right up there with me. Since I consider myself a "whosoever".

Steve

><}}> "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson <{{><
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Hey, Saska! Good to see you back. Love the avatar!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jim in Oregon
1st Peter 3:15
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

Some great choices here. And I suppose everyone knows that not all of the verses quoted here came from the lips of Jesus during his time on earth. And scholars do not agree on whether Jesus actually spoke the words in John 3:16-17. Some think that the words of Jesus end with verse 15 and verses 16-21 are John's comments after the night time meeting between Nicodemus and Jesus. "Red letter versions" continue the red type through to verse 21, although there is no indication in the original language whether the speech of Jesus stops with verse 15 or verse 21.

But then, not a big deal. There is a sense in which the whole Bible, the written Word of God, came to us through the creative second person of the Trinity, the living Word of God. When we read the Bible, not just the red verses but all of it, the living Lord who pre-dated the creation itself is speaking if we will listen.

With that in mind, my favorite might be, "I tell you the truth; before Abraham was born, I am" (John 8:58). But there are way too many for me to pick a personal favorite.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think our Lord and His Holy Spirit may impress upon each believer a favorite scripture, ( sometimes multiple times during a single day) that fits what He knows we have need of for that moment..or someone we may encounter..Jim

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Many times Jesus used a simple 3-word phrase: "It is written..." Think of what it means. How many times did Jesus confirm things written thousands of years before?

Many other times he used a 2-word phrase: "Truly truly" or, in old English, "verily verily". In Bible times, when a statement was repeated like that it meant 'Listen up because this is TRUE' Repeating put a special emphasis on what was to follow.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Many times Jesus used a simple 3-word phrase: "It is written..." Think of what it means. How many times did Jesus confirm things written thousands of years before?

Many other times he used a 2-word phrase: "Truly truly" or, in old English, "verily verily". In Bible times, when a statement was repeated like that it meant 'Listen up because this is TRUE' Repeating put a special emphasis on what was to follow.
Amen!

Similarly He often encouraged those who had "ears to hear" to do just that. Sadly many don't or won't.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Let he who is without sin among you cast the first stone"

Boys, if we could heed that lesson from the Master, we'd cut down on the rock throwin' a bunch.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1minute, 01Foreman400, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,832
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.