Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
MM, no one is suggesting Armalite. Why: weaknesses or flaws? Is it because you can't use P mags and the DPMS is more versatile? Just wondering... A guy has a real nice Armalite target model for sale, near me for a good price.
Because Armalite doesn't make kits.
Personally, I'd jump on an Armalite target model if it was priced right. Those Armalite stainless barrels shoot really well. Mine will do about 1/2" for 5.

Dang, this one seems to be priced right and it's local... Hmmm..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where's it at and how many rounds are through it? smile

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Where's it at and how many rounds are through it? smile

About 90 miles from my house, approx 300 rounds down the tube. Says he's shot some "tiny" groups at 300 yards with it. I think he's desperate for money right now...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've yet to see an Armalite target model that wouldn't shoot but they are heavy.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The key thing to remember when going large fram AR is there is little commonality between mfg. Stick with same mfg for upper and lower and you will save some hassle. JSR has Mega sets on clearance and owning two they are good to go. The upper and lower fit is generally perfect if buying a matched set. Mega is now ZEV but JSE has Mega sets for a good price.

Aero is generally good to go but I've never built on their sets so cannot comment 100%.

The Rubber City High pressure bolt group is just as stout as JP and good to go.

I would recommend sticking with DPMS pattern guns over Armalite for parts availability and commonality.

Ar15performance has Creedmoor barrels that hammer. Rainier has/had 308 rock creek button barrels that won't break your back.

No large frame gun is going to be light but that should come close to hitting your goal. The DPMS Gen2 guns are starting to have some aftermarket barrel support and would be the best route for hitting your weight target.

No matter what pattern you pick don't skimp on the BCG and get an adjustable gas block.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BSA -

When I decided to build I went with Aero lower and upper (DPMS pattern). Got a 18" Ballistic Advantage barrel and an adjustable gas block. Also went with a Midwest Industries MLOK handguard rather than keymod. Installed a nice trigger but can't recall the make/model of the top of my head and the rifle is miles away at the moment.

Very happy with the results. If building now I would go with Aero's newer Enhanced upper.

Good luck on your build, and have fun doing it.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I just finished up a 243 Aero upper with a Stoner barrel. So far I'm getting sub-inch groups getting it sighted in. Used a Superlative gas block and put it on a Windham Weaponry lower. Thinking I'm gonna be real happy once it's all said and done.

Last edited by tmax264; 04/07/18.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by tmax264
I just finished up a 243 Aero upper with a Stoner barrel. So far I'm getting sub-inch groups getting it sighted in. Used a Superlative gas block and put it on a Windham Weaponry lower. Thinking I'm gonna be real happy once it's all said and done.

Good to see that the Aero and Windham are compatible.

Retired cat herder.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I tested the stripped upper on the lower before I bought it. It fits tight enough that I couldn't/didn't need to use one of those shims. I had been warned.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very cool. Thats always nice when things fit good. Speaking of fitting together, i ran into a small issue with my BAD lever install. I had to re-profile the back of the nut for clearance. Not a big issue, works great now and looks good after a little alumi-black. Im sure others have ran into this issue.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tmax264

Sounds great.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (1_deuce, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 27 invisible), 1,972 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,621
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.