Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
rdd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Sounds like that if I want to hunt elk every other year I will just have to plan on hunting Wyoming or New Mexico. I guess it would be no different than what I'm doing now.

Just need to figure out what state to retire to now. Arizona or Utah. Thanks for all of the help guys.
Bob

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if you put in for Cow Elk you can get drawn every other year or every 3 years.

the years you don't get drawn, you can put in for deer a few months later and javelina even later, hunt rabbits & coyote year round or shoot competitions at 3 ranges in the phoenix area every weekend....

deer draw is separate and about the same odds for muley as for cow elk, almost 100% draw success for whitetail down near the porous border.

Poole

R
rdd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Bill, thanks for the information. For now my wife and I are looking at Arizona first and Utah as a second choice. In Arizona looking at the Apache Junction, Anthem, Whittmann or Prescott.

I did see that it looks like there is a shooting range up near Anthem.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Don't be fooled by the "over the counter" tags.

Most are like finding a needle in a haystack.

Last OTC hunt I went on I killed a 7x7 with my 458 Lott. Came right into a call.

Took me 8 points to draw my last tag. I don't know if Utah is better but it is good.

Yeah, but the odds of an out-of-stater replicating that are tiny. Even for AZ natives these tags are low, low odds -- without some good scouting and or info.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rdd

I will have to look into New Mexico. Just don't want an area that has a lot of crime. Might just have to go to a place that is retirement friendly and travel to other states to hunt.

I like Alamogordo and Tullarosa

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Its not hard, I go elk hunting almost every year in AZ. Some of the Peaks hunts have had almost 100% draw results and there ARE elk in the OTC areas. I have shot 5 elk in 6 years with an OTC tag.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
When you don't get drawn you can always go OTC! And the season is basically the entire year long.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
It all depends on weapon, time of year and unit.

Anywhere from every year, to once every 20 years.

very late (early december) cow season, 50% chance of being drawn. Rut Bull rifle, 1-2% chance of being drawn. from memory the last few years. those are the extremes.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
If this is during retirement and you don't have to rely on the local economy for a job. Move to AZ for a year in a temporary residence, after that year you are a resident and can purchase a lifetime license. The license if very affordably especially if you factor in the 160.00 a year an out of state hunter has to spend for a license. If you leave AZ, the license is still valid. You can continue to draw tags in the resident pool, but you will have to pay out of state tag fees. Then you get to hunt AZ when you want and still live where you want.

It what I did, except I'm not retired. My family moved to AZ for a job and then we had an opportunity to move to WY. Now I live in WY and get a handful of tags each year and sill building points in AZ for upper tier hunts. The only downside is that some of the out of state tag fees in AZ are expensive, but then again I don't plan on hunting AZ every year.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
-- Fred Bear
M
M
I'm an AZ resident. I draw a bull tag every 2-4 years, but I do not apply for the hype units. I always apply for a Sept hunt 1st choice and a late rifle Hunt 2nd choice. If you do your homework there are a handful of cow tags you can draw 2nd choice pretty often. It depends what kind of hunt you want.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (06hunter59, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,708 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,952
Posts18,519,295
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.