Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my 2 cents: I don`t live out west so I get stuck spending to much money for a non- resident license,plus gas,food maybe lodging, and time, I can`t just hunt the weekend ,so when I go west its for 2 weeks and I plan on fill`n my tag with a tasty elk. I hunt long and hard and yes I like 7mm-08 and even the 358 win. but to be honest for me both these cartridges are just ok for elk hunting. So from now on I will take my new rifle for elk hunting because distance or size will no longer matter. I built a weatherby mark 5 accumark with a custom brux barrel I a 338 lapua and put a niteforce scope and bi-pod on this rifle, I`m tired of having a bull elk at 500- 600 - 700 yards and wondering if I have a gun that can kill that bull,if its standing at 80 yards or 700 yards from now on and if you have the proper skills its dead with a 338 lapua . no more smaller cartridges for me to elk hunt with anymore, being a non-resident I just put a better chance on a tagged elk in my favor now with a 338 lapua from now on ! so if your a non-resident think about it maybe buy a bigger cartridge rifle to hunt elk with its worth the tasty elk meat ???? good luck,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 04/03/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Many, many rifles are capable of kill zone accuracy at 500-600-700 yards.

Shooters, not so much.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by pete53
my 2 cents: I don`t live out west so I get stuck spending to much money for a non- resident license,plus gas,food maybe lodging, and time, I can`t just hunt the weekend ,so when I go west its for 2 weeks and I plan on fill`n my tag with a tasty elk. I hunt long and hard and yes I like 7mm-08 and even the 358 win. but to be honest for me both these cartridges are just ok for elk hunting. So from now on I will take my new rifle for elk hunting because distance or size will no longer matter. I built a weatherby mark 5 accumark with a custom brux barrel I a 338 lapua and put a niteforce scope and bi-pod on this rifle, I`m tired of having a bull elk at 500- 600 - 700 yards and wondering if I have a gun that can kill that bull,if its standing at 80 yards or 700 yards from now on and if you have the proper skills its dead with a 338 lapua . no more smaller cartridges for me to elk hunt with anymore, being a non-resident I just put a better chance on a tagged elk in my favor now with a 338 lapua from now on ! so if your a non-resident think about it maybe buy a bigger cartridge rifle to hunt elk with its worth the tasty elk meat ???? good luck,Pete53

With all due respect, very much an Easterner mindset on western hunting....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by vapodog
Originally Posted by Mjduct
split the difference and go .308 165 gr. TTSX will do well =]

This just might be the best advice on ths entire thread.

Not in my opinion... it runs the 165 mono too slow for my taste.

just pour in a little more gunpowder.....or use a Northfork or A-Frame. smirk

Last edited by vapodog; 04/03/18.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by GregW

> we don`t have as much time to hunt, but pay the most for a non-resident license on federal land in Montana we both hunt on.
non-resident elk license in Montana about $800.00 / resident Montana elk license less than $50.00

this why we bring bigger rifles to fill our tags

Last edited by pete53; 04/03/18.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Aaawwww - cut to the chase.
Get a 30-06 and go kill whatever - wherever.

(Duck and cover now smile )

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

> we don`t have as much time to hunt, but pay the most for a non-resident license on federal land in Montana we both hunt on.
non-resident elk license in Montana about $800.00 / resident Montana elk license less than $50.00

this why we bring bigger rifles to fill our tags

You are still missing the point...

- Greg

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
with respect to all, I believe bigger is better if you can carry it , handle it and I still can as can many others. my biggest bull scored 374 B.C. and that was with a bow at 75 lbs. but when I rifle hunt I will never be under gunned ever again at my age of 65 years, I have seen what can happen with a smaller caliber / cartridge rifle on elk even deer,you have many more limitations with a smaller cartridge rifle,plus someone may get your wounded animal/elk ? best to hit them hard ,knock them down and tagged them before someone else does ,on public land there are sometimes dishonest hunters who will tag a elk just because its easier they have no pride,i have had that happen before on a big 6x6 bull and I hope it will never happen again. As has been said with age comes wisdom to help others and at 65 years of age I am just trying to help some others and save them from a sad situation from happening rather your a easterner or live by the mountains. so good luck this fall 2018 ,have fun ,be safe,Pete53

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You too sir - kill a big guy....

- Greg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by vapodog
Originally Posted by Mjduct
split the difference and go .308 165 gr. TTSX will do well =]

This just might be the best advice on ths entire thread.

Not in my opinion... it runs the 165 mono too slow for my taste.

Same here. Run 150 or 130 TTSX in the .308 Win and we’re rollin’

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
(7MM-08 + 358) / 2 =308 !!!

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have seen 2 cow elk shot with the 7-08 both under 200 yards, both needed additional shots, 3 shots on one of them, 2 shots on the other. Both ran about 125 yrds. Further examination of the animals during field dressing revealed solid hits into lungs with factory premium ammo 150 gr bullets. My sister was the shooter here, an excellent shot. The animals knew we were there and were on a fast move and then stopped offering a shot. If i had a choice between both i would take the 358 any day, even on marginal shots that 358 makes a bigger hole.

"I've made alot of money in my life, most of it spent on guns and women. The rest of it I just wasted."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Firemann
I have seen 2 cow elk shot with the 7-08 both under 200 yards, both needed additional shots, 3 shots on one of them, 2 shots on the other. Both ran about 125 yrds. Further examination of the animals during field dressing revealed solid hits into lungs with factory premium ammo 150 gr bullets. My sister was the shooter here, an excellent shot. The animals knew we were there and were on a fast move and then stopped offering a shot. If i had a choice between both i would take the 358 any day, even on marginal shots that 358 makes a bigger hole.

Come on now....

Here's a few recent E-tip successes by my wife from her 7-8 and 140's at a very pedestrian 2,680 MV....

Coues Deer - About 330 yards. Never left its bed.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Cow elk - 240 yards. 20 yard death dash.
[Linked Image]
Exit
[Linked Image]

Another cow elk - About 350 if I recall. Bang, slide down a big ravine dead.
[Linked Image]

Javelina - straight down. 220 yards.
[Linked Image]

- Greg

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Come on now....

Have to agree...

Your's truly with a pretty nice 6pt I dumped at 40 yards with a 150 Ballistic Tip from the 7-08... Bull was angled away so I held for the off shoulder, which put the bullet through the rear ribs... it penetrated 32" of elk, and was under the scapula on the offside. The bull ran 25 yards and pitched over. I covered the 65 yards to the animal and it was stone dead when I got there. I've shot more than a couple elk and never seen one die quicker.

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice animals guys..........In spite of having my knees replaced last Summer, I was able to harvest this giant desert pig at my buddy's place. Must have weighed 300 lbs ( I'm a big, strong sonofabuck). Took it with my 7-08 and one well placed 120 Ballistic Tip.

[Linked Image]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Great eater JG!

- Greg

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Come on now....

Have to agree...

Your's truly with a pretty nice 6pt I dumped at 40 yards with a 150 Ballistic Tip from the 7-08... Bull was angled away so I held for the off shoulder, which put the bullet through the rear ribs... it penetrated 32" of elk, and was under the scapula on the offside. The bull ran 25 yards and pitched over. I covered the 65 yards to the animal and it was stone dead when I got there. I've shot more than a couple elk and never seen one die quicker.

[Linked Image]

Nice bull! Question, why block your face out? I’ve never understood why folks do this??.....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Judman

Nice bull! Question, why block your face out? I’ve never understood why folks do this??.....

Brad did us all a favor, as happens to be very homely.........that's putting it nicely. wink

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Judman

Brad did us all a favor, as happens to be very homely.........that's putting it nicely. wink

LOL, so true smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have seen similar results as fireman.

In my opinion elk wanting to cover ground seem to be able to cover ground after hit with a bullet. Adrenaline perhaps?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

268 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 300jimmy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 23 invisible), 1,800 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,450
Posts18,528,884
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.