-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I know that lots of you have said that you don't like an ankle holster and I did buy a Galco pocket holster on your recommendation, but I'm a blue jeans type guy with lots of seated in the car windshield time coming up and that pocket holster rides right under the seat belt. Not that I'm wearing hip huggers, but that pocket carry is more bulk than I want a lot of the time and at least in an ankle holster, a handgun is more accessible than it would be out in the car. What do you recommend? Thanks.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Put the gun in your belt holster when getting out and have it out of the belt holster in the car. Or a clip on holster, or a clipdraw, depending on what type of handgun we are discussing.

Unless you received copious amounts of money from the Jerry Lewis telethon, it shouldn't be noticeable. Making the transition.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nobody, keep your gun/guns securely fastened to your waist.

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I got a bunch of 'tactical' ankle holsters a few years ago at give-away, going-out-of- business prices.
A couple friends got some from me, liked them and found occasional use for them - even hunting.

I also found them convenient and useful on some excursions - though I can't expressly recall?
None of the above uses was for concealment - but all found them convenient and not difficult
to access the handgun.

Now that our new State Law requires only a valid Driver's License to Carry Concealed
I have both a IWB & OWB holster that I usually use for carry.

I also have a few pocket holsters that I really like and find convenient for
smaller pistols & revolvers, whether it's in a pants pocket, or jacket pocket.

vvv Because of those tactical ankle holsters, I'm also interested in a Concealed Carry Ankle Holster . . .

<><> https://www.bugbiteholsters.com/ <><>

^^^ This one that I'm considering, a newer innovation - is the above Bug Bite Ankle Holster !

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Lou Alessi made the best ever ankle holsters. These days a number of makers in the same tradition do a fine job including Skip Ritchie, 5Shot, K.L. Null and Tom under the Alessi name. Shirt garters can be useful with ankle carry. Like wearing a belt holster on a gun belt so too ankle holsters are part of a rig with shoes and socks and the occasion all making a difference.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Galco Ankle Glove is an excellent holster. I've used them for many years.

μολὼν λαβέ
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

I concur. I don't use mine that much, but when I do, it's a PPK and the Galco glove works awesome.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Remora that works well, use it alot

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just drop it in my Redwing Pecos slip-ons. No holster needed......

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have to pull your pants leg a long way up to retrieve it that way though.

I tend to just use Uncle Mike's

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not if I wear shorts.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ha I can see it!!!

My eyes!!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An ankle holster really is a combination item that should be matched up with the footwear for fit and comfort. You also have to figure out which foot to use. The most common way is to wear it on the support side inside ankle. The Galco Ankle Glove is pretty good for that, at least with my boots and shoes. But, I really prefer to wear one on the strong side inside ankle with the gun in a butt forward (cavalry draw) position for easy access and use by either hand, especially with a thumb break. A neutral cant is best for that. I don’t like a holster with a cant designed for use on the support side inside ankle. That rules out the Ankle Glove for that application. The old Renegade was great for that application. I think the are out of business now, but I think that another company is using their design. I cannot vouch for it, though.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
For riding in a car, try just slipping your gun inside the waistband butt forward just at or behind your left hip. This is the way I have carried a gun for probably 30 years. It is very comfortable and can be drawn with either hand.

Used to not even use a holster but now use one of the REMORA soft nylon holsters....

https://www.remoraholsterstore.com/product/remora-iwb-inside-the-waistband-holster-gen2/

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Windfall
I know that lots of you have said that you don't like an ankle holster and I did buy a Galco pocket holster on your recommendation, but I'm a blue jeans type guy with lots of seated in the car windshield time coming up and that pocket holster rides right under the seat belt. Not that I'm wearing hip huggers, but that pocket carry is more bulk than I want a lot of the time and at least in an ankle holster, a handgun is more accessible than it would be out in the car. What do you recommend? Thanks.

I've got a Galco Ankle Holster that looks to be much like the glove, as in same basic material used, but mine also has an optional strap you can secure above the calf to keep it from riding down. I like mine, but don't use it much.

I don't mind a good fitting holster in the small of my back or even behind my right hip. My seats don't cause the gun to discomfort me, but maybe if I was driving 8-10 hours it would be different.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Oh I know that it isn't the hot setup for a fast draw, but at least it is along instead of out in the car. The low life types down here are even breaking into the police cars to get the guns, so I worry about even leaving a valuable handgun in the car one broken window away from getting gone. I've seen the Galco Ankle Glove, the Renegade Cozy Partner and the Alessi most recommended, though they tell me that the Alessi nice as it is, costs 3x what the Galco Glove goes for. Galco makes a softer suede floppy one called the Ankle Lite, but the Glove gets better recommendations. Seated in a restaurant the lump in my lap shouldn't be a J-frame.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best ankle holster was made by Renegade, but they've closed up shop. I've seen a couple of companies try to copy, but they all felt the need to "improve" (read: Fugg-up) the design and they turned out as crap.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

+1. Although I find need to use ankle carry infrequent, there are times it’s better than being unarmed. Either a 360PD or Shield fits well in my modified Galco. It is comfortable and stays in place.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have two different sizes of the original bugbite, one without the sticky spots and one with, both slide down my leg. Looks like the newer version with the strap at the top may work better. Either way, you have to pull your pant leg way up. They are comfortable and don't make me sweat. My wife likes them also.

Also have a Remora set up, it works well but makes me sweat due to the vinyl outside against my leg. I prefer just using the Remora for pocket carry, it works well for my mustang.

I gave up on the ankle holster and went with a Crossbreed IWB and haven't looked back. Most comfortable way to carry for me and I sit a lot. I have both mini tuck and super tuck and appendix. Either way I can access it while driving easily.

Recovering Yankee

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,447
Posts18,470,977
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.