Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have an original SBE and love it. It is the easiest shotgun to clean and maintain I have ever owned. Not a dirty gas operated shotgun. I put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it and a mercury recoil suppressor in the stock. Don't feel much kick even with 3.5" shells. I shoot sporting clays with light #8 shot loads all the way to heavy 3.5" loads. Try getting a used SBE that is in good condition and you can't go wrong. It is so fast you can shoot 5 shells before the first hull hits the ground. If you can shoot accurately that fast. When I bought mine, no one except Benelli was using the recoil operated system. Now, Franchi and Browning are doing it. Don't know if anyone else is. Should be able to pick up a SBE or SBE II used cheaper than a new SBE III. Would have to shop around or look online and have one delivered to your gun dealer.

GB1

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You guys claiming gas operated shotguns are dirty are pretty much full of gas.

Last edited by byd; 01/29/18.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Get a Stoeger 3500 for $550 and forget about it, for the money they cant be beat........Hb

I love my 3500. I have had a sbe11 and and beretta a300. The stoeger shoots just as well. No issues at all. Been from ducks to doves. Freezing to sweating and it just works.

Proud supporter of the NRA.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by byd

Well.....my 11/87 was a filthy pig.
The crud would come off in chunks, no lie.
My sbe3, totally different bird.
The junk stays in the barrel...what little there is.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by byd

A gas gun will always be "dirtier" than an inertia. Whether that matters is up for debate, but the basic physics isn't.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I looked at pretty much everything. I really like the SBE III but I also like the SX4 at $900 less. Aimpoint has a sweet optic for shotguns in the S-1 micro.

If prices was no obstacle, I would spring for the SBE. I have no issues with a gas gun as I won't be shooting it enough to worry about getting it dirty.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
No way would I buy the Benelli over the SX4, or the SX3, for that matter, considering the price points of the two. Heck, I’d buy the Winchester if they were both priced the same.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
No way would I buy the Benelli over the SX4, or the SX3, for that matter, considering the price points of the two. Heck, I’d buy the Winchester if they were both priced the same.

I can't really argue with that. I really liked the SX4 but the legendary reliability of the SBE factors in a little.

NRA Benefactor Member

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

Tim, anyone have any deals on the SX4 3.5" that you know of? I may be in the market unless I can run across a good deal on a used SBE 2.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

I can't really argue with that. I really liked the SX4 but the legendary reliability of the SBE factors in a little.

I watch the “legendary reliability” of the SBE spit and sputter a bit every year while hunting in Arkansas. Don’t get me wrong, they do work very well overall, but they do trip up some. The best Benelli that I have seen out there is a Cordoba. The only gun that I have seen quit out there was a Remington. We worked on it that night and it ran for the rest of the week.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad

Tim, anyone have any deals on the SX4 3.5" that you know of? I may be in the market unless I can run across a good deal on a used SBE 2.

Hey Brad,

Check your PM.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

For shooting coyotes, any of the guns listed should serve you well. Running one hard after ducks and geese is a completely different challenge. That is where you will start to see hiccups and failures. I would have a lot of confidence in an SX3 or SX4 for waterfowl, therefore coyotes would be a no brainer IMHO.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
That's what I figured. My calling buddy ordered a SBE III and it came in today. Wish it were mine!

NRA Benefactor Member

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Stoger is heavy. I do a lot of walk in public land waterfowl and bird hunting. You couldn't melt a Stoger down and pour it on me but only because the weight.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you can find an SX3, I'd take that over the new 4 model. They are tough as nails, reliable, and don't have cheaper plastic internals like the new 4 version.

But shotguns should always be picked on "fit first, then features."

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
If you can find an SX3, I'd take that over the new 4 model. They are tough as nails, reliable, and don't have cheaper plastic internals like the new 4 version.

But shotguns should always be picked on "fit first, then features."

Other than the trigger guard, what is plastic on the SX4 that isnt on the SX3? I had read the gas piston on the 4 now is all metal wheras the 3 had a plastic ring on it. The recoil spring tube is aluminum as is the magazine tube. Trying to find out the real differences in the two as I'm in the market for a new waterfowl gun and I'm strongly considering the 4 due to the new larger controls. I've shot a M1 the last 10 years so going to a gas auto would be a change.

I dont understand the disdain for good polymer parts. I've never seen a broken trigger guard on a Benelli, Glock, XD or any other name brand firearm that uses polymer.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
The SBE III sure patterns nice with W-W varmint shells

NRA Benefactor Member

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 64 invisible), 3,027 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,490
Posts18,471,914
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.