Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 22 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 21 22
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
What is the best part of Florida?

How much will a decent boat run to take advantage of this area?

Travis

boats are expensive new better to find one a couple yrs old with low hours.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
And if you feel the need to grab a snook you just brought in through the gills, DON'T.

This is very good advice. The tip of the gill plate basically has a razor blade on it. It will also destroy landing nets and cast nets. Also don’t make it a habit to grab any saltwater fish by the lip or stick your fingers down into their mouth to dislodge a hook.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If you are handy at all a five grand boat will put you on a pile of fish. Ten grand will get you a nicer boat and twenty will get you a really nice used boat. A bay style boat is a little bigger and a little higher sided than a flats boat but is still useful on the flats but will allow you to slip offshore a few miles on calmer days. A true deep vee offshore boat will suck inshore and vice versa for a true flats boat. Florida bay is shallow but the chop will get nasty with Weather or a strong onshore breeze.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
If you are handy at all a five grand boat will put you on a pile of fish. Ten grand will get you a nicer boat and twenty will get you a really nice used boat. A bay style boat is a little bigger and a little higher sided than a flats boat but is still useful on the flats but will allow you to slip offshore a few miles on calmer days. A true deep vee offshore boat will suck inshore and vice versa for a true flats boat. Florida bay is shallow but the chop will get nasty with Weather or a strong onshore breeze.

Thanks Dave.

What's the difference between a bay style boat and a flats style boat?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Best part of Florida imo is the panhandle. Panama City to Pensacola has great fishing and hunting. People are nice and you don’t need to learn Spanish. If you really are moving to Homestead you are in for rude awakening in how you will be treated as a white English speaking man in all of South Florida. As a truck driver I will not go south of mile marker 76 on I95. Except for a sliver of land along the water south Florida is a third world chithole.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Google Hewes redfisher for a representative flats boat and Pathfinder 2200 for a representative bay boat. Lots of variations of both styles but the those pictures should give an idea.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Dave. Clark. Travis.

Know the difference between a yankee and a damn yankee?

A yankee comes down for a visit.

A damn yankee comes down and stays.

Whatever you buy make sure you have plenty of room for gas, plenty of room for water, and some shade (canopy). You'll be better off with an ocean going (deep v) boat to use in the bay than a bay boat in the ocean. decide where you want to spend your time, then buy a boat for the ocean.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Thanks Dave.

flats boats are designed to run skinny, a bay boat has more draft and can handle rougher water.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What is the best part of Florida?

How much will a decent boat run to take advantage of this area?

Travis

Coastal I like Apalachicola, Homosassa, Ponte Vedra, St. Augustine, inland, a little west of Ocala, up through about Ft. White. A few other isolated spots.

Traffic sucks in SFL (From Ft Pierce all the way down to Homestead), also Jax, O-town, and Tampa.You could pretty much draw a line from Ft. Myers to Ft. Pierce, and I would pass on anything south of that line.There is some very nice coastal stuff south of that line, but the cost of ownership is really high! Anything you can afford inland will be hot, humid, bug, reptile, and mexican infested.

You could pick up a used Flats boat in the teens to low 20's, quite a bit more if it is only a year or two old. Remember, they are a hole in the water that you throw money in. Really not much point to being in SFL without one though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best part of Florida imo is the panhandle. Panama City to Pensacola has great fishing and hunting. People are nice and you don’t need to learn Spanish. If you really are moving to Homestead you are in for rude awakening in how you will be treated as a white English speaking man in all of South Florida. As a truck driver I will not go south of mile marker 76 on I95. Except for a sliver of land along the water south Florida is a third world chithole.

Do they still put the "We speak english" signs in the window, or have they given up on that entirely.

Clar-ve-is, You'll find a lot of Cubans amongst the hispanics in that area and they tend to be quality people.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

Do they still put the "We speak english" signs in the window, or have they given up on that entirely.

Clar-ve-is, You'll find a lot of Cubans amongst the hispanics in that area and they tend to be quality people.

Agree on the Cubans.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks Dave.

Bay boat is like what you’d get if a bass boat humped a walleye boat. Flats boat is more like a cross between a bass boat and a sheet of plywood covered with woven glass and gel coat. Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I partially agree on the Cubans. The old Batista Cubans are gold but the boat lift Cubans are a mixed bag at best.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Zzz zzzzzzz fish on. Looks like the chumming is starting to pay off. Enjoy your move to the sunshine state.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It takes about 3 different boats to do whats around you there.

Sumtin' small for the lakes, rivers and canals. I gotta 16ft welded tunnel hull with a 20hp Honda 4 stroke for that.
Some would rather hang a 300hp OB on some sorta ridiculous looking bass boat..to each his own.
A little yak in the back of your truck can make for some quick easy fishing in all those canals.

A Flats Cat is a good option for backwater salt flats, works for me anyway, Red's Snook and Tarpon mostly but tons of other species.

A good center consoled bay boat, pick the breed, there are many good ones. 22-24ft, 90 to 300hp. Twins, if ya want to stretch one to 28ft and pretend you have an offshore boat. You'll have your day if ya do.

I opted out on a offshore boat and just book charters a few times a year, cheaper in the long run. Sail's, Tuna, Dolphin, King Mackerel, etc.... Care, feeding, insurance, dually truck or boat slip for a real offshore boat just runs through the roof in costs, I quit that a long time ago. If I was living on the water in the Keys I'd have one.

I do have a really good charter outta Islamorada I use , he's never failed me at producing he's pricey but well worth it.. Last trip down we got 5 Sails kite fishing...

I haven't gotten a return call from my Glades guys yet, death in their family, I'll hook ya up with him but I'll wait until after the first...:-)

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Jeff,

That's good stuff. Thanks.

Would never need an offshore. Have more than one kayak/canoe that I will be taking down there. A center consoled rig sounds ideal to me but was wondering if an airboat would be essential down that way. I guess time will tell. Ultimately....

Thanks again,
Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Say hello to my backyard friend Big Al. Mebbe 10'+...and faster than greased lightning when disposed.

[Linked Image]

I've had bears and wolves in my yard. I walked around the side of an artesian well house and face-to-face with a lynx that was getting a drink. A few days ago I called a coyote to less than 20' from my dining room window. I could not get used to Big Al in my yard.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I don't do April Fool's jokes on the internet any more because people take them seriously and it causes undue emotional strain.

Travis

This still doesn’t sound like an apology.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff,

Twas wondering if an airboat would be essential down that way. I guess time will tell. Ultimately....

Thanks again,
Travis

Airboats can be tons of fun. In that country rules and regs can keep you out of a lot of areas with airboats.

If you just get the boat bug and wanna buy sumtin',
Might consider a good mudmotor on a flat-bottom to get to most areas an airboat can go but without special reg's restricting you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffA
Units 404 ands 402 are the only ones within 25 miles I think.
11 permits each and those Miami boys beat that area up.

I suppose ya got your reasons to limit yourself to that area, it's sure not prime.

Just skin one off the side of 41 on the way there and call it good. (jk?)

One thing to keep in mind is, it's been my experience that after opening week it gets really hard to get close enough to one to get him. They just get really spooky, they go under when you get within a 100 yards.
Any other time of the year you'd be kickin' the same gator outta your way.

Obviously, the more permits a unit has the better the odds of getting drawn.
You do get to request multiple units and list them in preference order.

I've never not been drawn, but not necessarily gotten my 1st choice unit.

That's good info Jeff and thanks.

I really have no reason. That's the area I'm going to live and I've found hunting the areas close to home usually has better success rates. I'd go wherever I had to in the state.

Travis

Live? I'll stop by and see you next time I go to the Keys. Alligators are everywhere down there, and it won't be hard to fill a tag. When you get ready to buy a boat go to www.thehulltruth.com It's a great site.
Originally Posted by Rooster7
So what do people do with an alligator? (Besides molest them, apparently)

I know on the tv shows, they sell them but if you just have one tag, do you butcher them and eat them like a deer?

In Florida you get two tags if you draw.

And yes, people eat them. Butchering them looks like a huge PITA though.

You can kill iguanas down there too and I'm looking forward to shooting the hell out of those ugly bastards.

Dave

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 6 of 22 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,800
Posts18,477,464
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.