Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Whats the general consensus regarding leaving magazines loaded ? Will a set take in the spring? How long?

Is worrying about this a nothing burger?

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Few schools of thought on this. The one I go with is springs only weaken when cycled. Left in a compressed state should do no harm. I have run mags through an ak that I have no clue how long they were loaded, probable close to a decade. No troubles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never had an issue with springs weakening. Only mag issues I've ever had were new mags, not good ones in the first place.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Springs only take a "set" if they are overstressed, ie forced past the elastic limit of the steel, unless perhaps you heat them to a degree which would also ruin the ammo and the gun. A properly-specified spring, used within its design limits, will recover completely regardless of how long it is loaded. They'll do this repeatedly too, more or less infinitely, absent some flaw, corrosion or wear.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Whats the general consensus regarding leaving magazines loaded ? Will a set take in the spring? How long?

You can leave them loaded for eternity.

No.

No such thing.

Yes.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Until you see the whites of their eyes?

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Springs taking a set isn't an issue, but accumulated dirt can be. That's life in the Zone.

Dunno how a fella would clean a mag without shuckin' the cartridges out first.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had some loaded for years, they worked fine when I decided to use them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The chrome silicon springs used in mags today can last years compressed.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Springs taking a set isn't an issue, but accumulated dirt can be. That's life in the Zone.

Run them through the dishwasher with your Glock.

See Glock/dishwasher thread in Handgun section for clarification.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Musta been a relief for the spring !?

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
Few schools of thought on this. The one I go with is springs only weaken when cycled. Left in a compressed state should do no harm. I have run mags through an ak that I have no clue how long they were loaded, probable close to a decade. No troubles.

This is correct. I work with springs daily, and it is cycle length that matters. Springs fail due to metal fatigue, and metal fatigue is a function of movement. Loaded springs do not fail, only springs that move do. They wear out, and the metal Crystallizes, becoming brittle.
Load and stack as many as your budget will allow, without qualms.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by woodmaster81

Run them through the dishwasher with your Glock.

See Glock/dishwasher thread in Handgun section for clarification.

Thinkin' outside the box again, hey?

That's how I clean the muffler after running BP loads thru it. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

Metallurgists tell us that compression of a spring to the point it was designed to be compressed doesn't wear the steel out. It's the cycles of compression and release that do. So the mags used regularly for range work, but which are left empty when not in use, will wear out far quicker than mags left fully loaded for years.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

This is the only thing I've seen that caused failure of quality magazines. Lots and lots of dirt.

Open top holsters and lots of hours on ATV's or bikes will cause this.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
As an FYI I unloaded a pair of 1911 mags found in an old WWI era footlocker, in an old Mills canvas pucker bottom magazine pouch about 1973. The ammo in those mags was headstamped "FA 18". Springs were just like new! Really dunno how long they had been loaded for sure!

smile

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by kellory
... the metal Crystallizes, becoming brittle.

All metals crystallise as they solidify. Every spring you work with is crystalline. Every metal article or component or piece of solid metal around you, ductile or brittle, hard or soft, crystallised as it solidified, and it'll stay crystalline unless you melt it (and then crystallise again as it solidifies).

Working a metal, such as a spring, within its proportional limit, does not work harden it (cause it to become brittle) either.

As for fatigue, it is a poorly named phenomenon, and is nothing to do with the metal somehow getting "tired". It is a name for the progressive development of a crack across the section, more often than not initiated at a flaw or stress raiser, over repeated load cycles, until the remaining section cannot bear the applied load any more. The number of cycles you need depends on the stress as a proportion of UTS, geometry and material. One of the nice qualities of steels is that they have a fatigue limit, a level of stress below which fatigue failure isn't going to occur regardless of the number of stress cycles. Just by way of example, a valve spring in a car engine, under ordinary use, may be expected to last many millions of cycles. How often are you going to cycle your mags?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by kellory
... the metal Crystallizes, becoming brittle.

All metals crystallise as they solidify. Every spring you work with is crystalline. Every metal article or component or piece of solid metal around you, ductile or brittle, hard or soft, crystallised as it solidified, and it'll stay crystalline unless you melt it (and then crystallise again as it solidifies).

Working a metal, such as a spring, within its proportional limit, does not work harden it (cause it to become brittle) either.

As for fatigue, it is a poorly named phenomenon, and is nothing to do with the metal somehow getting "tired". It is a name for the progressive development of a crack across the section, more often than not initiated at a flaw or stress raiser, over repeated load cycles, until the remaining section cannot bear the applied load any more. The number of cycles you need depends on the stress as a proportion of UTS, geometry and material. One of the nice qualities of steels is that they have a fatigue limit, a level of stress below which fatigue failure isn't going to occur regardless of the number of stress cycles. Just by way of example, a valve spring in a car engine, under ordinary use, may be expected to last many millions of cycles. How often are you going to cycle your mags?

As I said, cycle length is what matters. I can change a cycle length, with a given load, by going to a diffrent diameter, wire size, and or length. (To do the exact same job, but for a longer time/cycle length ) . A properly loaded spring that doesn't move, may never fail in your lifetime. A spring that moves several times a day, will last for only a few thousand cycles.
(Springs on your garage door, are rated for 6000-8000 cycles from the factory. ) a spring, is simply a bent lever.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by mike7mm08

Just checked all four mags for my Sig P226 T/O 40 cal, all have been loaded for months, none would hold the slide back empty, pulled the springs and gave the front lip of the springs under the follower a little upward bend, replaced, and rechecked, all GTG now. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
20 round 30 cal and 30 round 556 cal Pmags seem to run right forever, so do all the Tripp, McCormick, and factory Colt mags for my 1911's.

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (1lessdog, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 71 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,951
Posts18,499,036
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.