Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm going Crappie fishing tomorrow. It'll be the first time fishing this year.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We hit a crappie hole at Indian Lake one time, about the size of a bathtub. They would hit ANYTHING we dropped in the water, even bare hooks and chewing gum, but not cut up crappie. We had to leave when we ran out of bait. I remember at least 2 fish traps full and 3 stringers.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Most people say I fish too much.

Deb says I do
Still in the 30’s here but boat comes home this week

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
[Linked Image]

My youngest boy. You know the little bass spot up Six Mile Canyon and the way to Virginia City, Safari? The old pit mine filled with water? That's there.

[Linked Image]

One I dredged from the depths at Pyramid.

[Linked Image]

A few rainbows a long time ago from Adams McGill Reservoir down south of Ely.

I could do this all day, and if I didn't have to go to work I would.

I LOVE that top picture! You can't buy those smiles anywhere. laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looking forward to fishing with the kids this summer

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like to fish almost as much as I like to hunt and I can generally do it a lot more of the year in nicer weather.

I grew up around a fishing lodge and paid for most of college guiding fly fishermen fishing for the half pounder (juvenile) steelhead on the lower Rogue. I also guided some for winter steelhead and spring chinook though those were less reliable. I burned out on fishing and focused on hunting and varmint shooting for quite a while. The little big of fishing I did in those years was mostly quite different than what I'd done guiding. I have a decently large, shallow lake near where i live now so I did some largemouth fishing with topwater stuff .. fishing from the shore, no boat. I also did some fishing for shad on the Umpqua and even targeted trash fish in the eddies along the Rogue .. catch and release ... release up the bank into the bushes for the 'coons to eat.

I'm back into fishing more but I still don't do much that I did back in college and years closely following.

My favorite fishing now is for trout in the southern Oregon Cascades. Long ago brook trout were introduced. F&W folks have decided that was a bad idea because they out-compete the native species. There's no limit on number or size in many locations. I will generally explore creeks or off-trail lakes first with a ultralight spin outfit ... 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 feet preferably, the lightest open face spin reel I can find, 4 pound maxima, and a selection of size 1 and size 2 panther martins. If I find an area where there's room enough to cast a bit, then I'll go back with light fly gear .. that's 000 to 2 weight .. and dry flies on 1 and 2 pound leader.

I still have my heavier tackle and it'll get used again someday ... someday.

One intriguing thing is my new GF's house 40 yards from the river's edge and from her deck, I've been scoping out the little "run" right in front. I think it will fish in a very serious way. smile Those half pounders may be in trouble again ....

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Crappie on T-Bend are in about 6', on hydrilla. I caught the last week on blue/white and pumpkinseed/chartreuse tubes and roadrunners. Females still have eggs. Bass are up in the flooded timber.

And we caught the majority of ours in 3-5ft of water off of cypress trees. If you can find a bunch of trees at that water depth, within 20ft of the bank, it's money.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Just got back a few days ago from fishing's promised land.....Toledo Bend. Lots of crappie and bass.

[Linked Image]

I practically grew up on Toledo Bend. My dad found an old logging road that led down a narrow peninsula that ended in a cleared area. The first time we went there on his summer vacation days I was 10. I never missed when he started packing the tent and getting his boat ready. We had to bring whatever we needed to eat and drink...there was a marina a ways off where we fueled up the boat, and we could get semi-fresh water there for cooking and boiling the dishes in. Trotline went out on day 1 and the crappie light was hung out among all the dead tree trunks. Fishing there was always good to great. I have nothing but great memories about Toledo Bend.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I am FishinHank........

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Fishing can be hard work!!!!

[Linked Image]

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The bite was slow yesterday but managed to catch enough for supper. Fresh crappie fillets make a fine supper.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Kid's been out wrestling with river monsters again....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like catching bass...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice Topaz Cutty...

[Linked Image]

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
The bite was slow yesterday but managed to catch enough for supper. Fresh crappie fillets make a fine supper.

Crappie is my favorite

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
How I miss the Truckee River.Never ventured to Pyramid, but made many memories between Tahoe and Reno on the Truckee.Good luck with the Lahonton cutts

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I decided that I hadn't spread myself thin enough, so added the pursuit of steelhead to my life this "spring", (12" inches of snow this week, sub-freezing temps and 40+ gusts today, hence the quotes around spring). We chased after them at the Cheboygan river last week, but had no luck. I've been itching to get back out, but the weather has tanked, so I'm just going to have to wait a bit.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bull64
How I miss the Truckee River.Never ventured to Pyramid, but made many memories between Tahoe and Reno on the Truckee.Good luck with the Lahonton cutts

I've caught more fish than I remember on both forks of the Carson, both forks of the Walker, Prosser creek, Little Truckee, etc. Every time I go to the Truckee, I get my ass handed to me. It's become a running joke. I've caught a few here and there, but the balance of success to effort is way out of wack for me on that river. I have a ball trying, though!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

One of my favorite little brooky spots...

That also is stocked with tiger trout. Super aggressive and a blast to catch.

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All kids like catching cat fish...

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
The H Wiggler was great for bass in the thick stuff and on creeks. Maybe they werent lure shy however.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 204guy, 1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,890
Posts18,518,307
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.