-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last year I went straight to 12+K on my first day and did better at altitude than I did when 5 years younger.

Intervals of rowing machine, battle rope, hill sprints, tire flips, etc.

It was awesome. I was actually breathing even when gaining 3k on day one. The problem was after gaining 3k on day 2, a hard day 3, and so forth I wore down.

So this year I'll try to stack long days with a pack on top of interval days. See how that works. Hopefully I'll cope with altitude, plus do it day after day.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
used Jacobs ladder last year to get ready for a goat hunt, for me did more to build climbing muscles than all the other training i did.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
In a moment of foolishness I spent 18 minutes on one last night. Now when I climb the stairs to the bedroom my legs feel like jello.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SBTCO - good reference.

I switched to a low carb, high fat diet 18 months ago or so. My workouts cardio improved, I lost 10 lbs w/o trying, and my blood chemistry improved. I did find that if I don't ingest 100 grams of carbs per day, my workouts suffered. I try to keep them around 125-130 grams per day. When I get over 150 I start putting fat back on.

At 54, I'm trying to determine my next steps for endurance. I run 10ks but won't be confused with the fastest people in a race. At the end of the day, I'm still trying to figure out the best recipe to optimize strength and endurance.

Last edited by bwinters; 04/17/18.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
At 71 I am more into maintenance and injury avoidance than anything else. 4 days/week of alternating elliptical/ treadmill w/ dumbells and kettlebells w/ a goal of maintaining a heartrate of 130-140 bpm for 1 hour w/ an additional 20 minutes of warmup/cooldown.

Most weeks I hike 1, 5 miler and 1, 10 miler w/ 1500 or 2500 feet of altitude gain. Of the ~ 25 lbs in my pack 16 lbs is extra water which I dump prior to the descent to save my knees on the downhill. Only extended time on my feet, moving w/ a pack allows me to hunt the mountains.

These days I need to take 1 rest day for every 3 days of hunting or I crater.

I would love to have a jacobs ladder, has anyone used a home Versa Climber?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

The Stairmaster is a necessary evil I suppose. Need to have a good playlist on the tune machine.

I try to go hands free to work on balance and stabilization muscles in the knee. Also move to angled position both left and right to simulate sidehilling.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

The Stairmaster is a necessary evil I suppose. Need to have a good playlist on the tune machine.

I try to go hands free to work on balance and stabilization muscles in the knee. Also move to angled position both left and right to simulate sidehilling.

Don't forget to go backwards to strengthen hamstrings and petelar tendons

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Does hiking lots of steep mountains, up, down, sidehilling, etc. substitute for a stair stepper?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What do you all think of a machine (stair stepper) vs. plain old stair running?

I suppose I see it like free weight’s vs. machine.

Thoughts?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've done both and think they are similar. I tend to do gym workouts like stair climbers, treadmills, etc when the weather is crappy, and/or stupid hot. I greatly prefer working outside when temps are between 40 and 80 and no rain.

To me the advantage of outside workouts lies in the variety of the terrain. Ran 5 miles tonight on the local trail. Had 2 sections of pretty good hills. Jogging uphill sucks....... But I think it better simulates elk country - elk country ain't flat. Conversely I think it's easy to get locked into an indoor training program and not push your self. Basically a comfort level sinks in. I see this with eliptical users alot in my gym - same workout, same intensity, often the exact same machine. I advise folks to do 20-20-20 when indoors. 20 mins on elliptical at 8-10 resistance keeping heartrate at 140 or so. Quickly finish go to bike keep 100 rpm at resistance 7-10 for 20 mins and same heart rate. Then immediately got to stair stepper for 20 mins at 50-75 steps/min, keeping heartrate rate below 150. I find this combo works well for me when I'm indoors. Late in the week I do 15-15-15 with same setup, intensity, and heart rate. Towards the end of the week I'm getting tired, mainly because I do 2 days of heavy lifting do 5x5s.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd add that my outdoor workouts are usually jogging, hiking with my hunting pack (30-50 lbs on board) for 2-4 miles, and long hikes (12-20 miles with 15-18 lb day pack). I greatly prefer the outdoor stuff.....

I also.move into more cardio as elk season get closer. I'm in add muscle/strength phase now, hence the 5x5 with basic barbell movements. I find hooking up to a 60-80 lb pack full of elk requires muscular stamina which I see as a combination of strength and cardio.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m just curious... I do 20 minutes of actual stair running at a stout rate, 1 day on, 2 off, 365.

Of course I’m always hiking and backpacking, have my whole life (2 mos shy of 57).

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad

Thoughts?

It's better.....my problem is the availability of a lot of stairs to climb

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I’m just curious... I do 20 minutes of actual stair running at a stout rate, 1 day on, 2 off, 365.

Of course I’m always hiking and backpacking, have my whole life (2 mos shy of 57).

Exactly....

I personally think climbing big hills with weight is worth the time and stamina...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Don't forget to go backwards to strengthen hamstrings and petelar tendons

I like a treadmill with a steep incline for that. Looking forward to the day when I can do that again, should be in the next couple months.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've never thought about going backwards on the treadmill. I will try it today, there may be a humbling moment in my future.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
To me, it feels very similar to the muscles you use "putting the brakes on" when going downhill with a load.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
To me, it feels very similar to the muscles you use "putting the brakes on" when going downhill with a load.

This is how I feel about it too.

A couple years ago when I got PRP injections in my knees the reverse treadmill and stair master was what the PT pushed.

lvmiker

When walking backward on the treadmill use about 8º of incline to better match your gate.
I set the speed on 2.3/2.4

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks guys, well that was interesting. I first did the elliptical backwards and that was strange but not difficult and I could definitely feel it working different areas. Then came the treadmill, luckily I started w/ it at the lowest speed cause it felt very strange at first and I only did about 5 minutes, balance was a little shaky. There is no doubt that this is a productive effort and I just need to get better at it, it's nice to try something different.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Thoughts?

Brad,

Not much will beat running stairs, or even climbing them slow, if one has something like a stadium. You are lifting and moving your entire body weight. Downside will be watch the knees.

Most-99%+-who use the stepper are hanging onto the handles which takes away some of your weight and also gives stabilization one doesn't have when running steps.

Then their is the stairmaster, which again most will use holding on, but if you crank it up to 12+ you are doing some serious climbing and cardio if you can go for a long time.

3: Stepper, 2: Stairmaster and 1: Running stairs in order of difficulty. The Stairmaster can be a never ending climb. Running stairs takes a special location and is harder on the knees.

Last edited by battue; 04/19/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

452 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,442
Posts18,528,710
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.