Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ranching for Wildlife tags in CO are for residents only

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Lot of good advice here, thanks.

A few things: I know I can hunt and be successful and "go every year" by using OTC tags etc. That's not what I want. I took a CO cow last year and scratched the itch of just getting an elk. I don't desire to go every year.

Saving money and paying for the NM Ranch hunt might be the better idea... However, does it feel like the traditional elk hunt you read about in the magazines, etc?

I have been applying to PA every year for the last 8 years. I figure I started young enough, and if I stay healthy, eventually I'll draw there. But that's a long shot. It's also not the traditional elk hunt that I'd be after.

Again thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll start researching all of the suggestions!

-jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Ranching for Wildlife tags in CO are for residents only

The public ones are, but not the ones controlled by outfitters. They are for anyone putting out the money.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Lot of good advice here, thanks.

A few things: I know I can hunt and be successful and "go every year" by using OTC tags etc. That's not what I want. I took a CO cow last year and scratched the itch of just getting an elk. I don't desire to go every year.

Saving money and paying for the NM Ranch hunt might be the better idea... However, does it feel like the traditional elk hunt you read about in the magazines, etc?

I have been applying to PA every year for the last 8 years. I figure I started young enough, and if I stay healthy, eventually I'll draw there. But that's a long shot. It's also not the traditional elk hunt that I'd be after.

Again thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll start researching all of the suggestions!

-jake

New Mexico ranches are just like hunting on public. If they have elk, they are in pretty country. The only difference, is that you are guaranteed access and a permit. Some charge quite a bit, though, which is just economics, as people are willing to throw them the money. Many sell all of the access to outfitters, but I think that you can still find some on your own. Game and FIsh may even help you.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Tough to tell what things will be like in 10 years. Wyoming is a solid bet and so is Utah if you don't mind waiting more than 10 years.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
16 years ago I started applying in Utah. At that time the area I was after took about 10-12 points, obviously mucho higher than that now as I still haven't drawn. Well, maybe this year... smile

An area that takes 10 points now will likely be in the high teens 10 years from now.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd save $100 a month and just buy a landowner tag in a good unit when you could afford it. Seems like most states offer those and it would eliminate donating money to 5 or 6 states and hoping to draw someday.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buying a RFW/CWMU/Landowner tag is probably the best way to go if you intend this to be a once or maybe even twice lifetime thing. If you want to go more, build points in lots of states and be sure to apply every year to the ones that don't have point systems (ID, NM).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Learn to archery hunt.

Over the counter baby.......over the counter.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by saddlesore
In Colorado at least,I firmly believe that in the foreseeable future they will change their preference point program.They talk about it in every meeting I go to, but can't figure out how. Even right now,the guys that have 25-26 points are getting screwed by Colorado's Hybrid Draw that gives hunters with far less points a chance (although small) to draw one of those tags,essentially taking a tag away from the high preference point guys

Saddlesore
I think you hit it on the head, Colorado hybrid (or welfare point system) was a sucky way to cheat the people with years invested in attempting to get a tag. If only 9 tags were available and they pull one of two for welfare tags, your odds really change. This is what happens when the bean counters are pushed to come up with more and more money.

Last edited by Crawler; 04/19/18.

All This! And the circus too?
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

437 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 43 invisible), 2,873 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,443
Posts18,528,717
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.