Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Good evening,

I have a question, a friend of mine has both a 629 and a 329 with 4” barrels, he’s been bugging me to trade my redhawk 4”. I’ve never really gotten into S&W revolvers even though my dad is a huge fan. These s&w revolvers have some nice attributes: good triggers, the 329 is nice and light but I fee like my redhawk is better suited for what I do. It’s a woods gun for me. I keep it loaded with buffalo bore or garret carteidge hardcasts as I live and hunt in Alaska.

It seems like the heavier weight of the redhawk is better for shooting these heavy rounds but I’m not sure that makes up for the weight, the 329 would be great to carry around but I’m sure it would suck to shoot hot rounds through, the 629 might be a decent compromise, I’m not sure.

Has anybody here switched from one of these to another or perhaps somebody has both.

What are your thoughts? Remember this isn’t something I take to the range or anything, it’s pretty much strictly a woods gun, it sits in a diamond customs guide rig on the coat rack and I’ll either grab it or grab a Glock 20.

Thanks!!!.
I've had multiple 29's, 629's and Redhawks. My current is a Mountain Gun and a Ruger Blackhawk, as far as 44 Mag's go. Given your situation, I'd stay with the Redhawk. I've never owned a 329, though I've tried to trade into several. IMO the 329 is a trick gun that won't last. I think most of those who really have a use for a 329 would do better to get a model 69...and I am not a huge fan of that model either. Overall I think you should just stay with what you've got, especially given your loads.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I own both 629 smith`s and ruger red hawks . I like the feel and accuracy of the smith 629,ruger`s might be better built ? not sure ? I do think ruger`s recoil a little more my 454 casull in a Alaskan is terrible with recoil.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Guys, I think I'm keeping the red hawk, I just like it too much, I may buy a 629 down the road but I just think if I ditched my red hawk, I'd need to replace it down the road. The weight isn't a big deal as I'm 6'4 215lbs and if I really want lighter weight, I have other guns.

I appreciate all the advice.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Guys, I think I'm keeping the red hawk, I just like it too much, I may buy a 629 down the road but I just think if I ditched my red hawk, I'd need to replace it down the road. The weight isn't a big deal as I'm 6'4 215lbs and if I really want lighter weight, I have other guns.

I think that's a good decision.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might be nice to have a 4" of either, but am saddled with a 629 6.5" w/ Herrett grips and a SRH 7.5". For home they're both loaded with lighter 200gr, hopefully "won't-go-through-the-walls-rounds". Likely...they would.

In the field, 300, 305 or 310gr WFN GC cast in the 1150-1250 fps range for the 629 and 310 and 320gr WFN GC cast in the 1200-1350fps range for the SRH. The Ruger can handle the 1425 fps Buffalo Bore, but it can spank the hand holding the grip. Takes a bit longer to be back on target with more powerful rounds for hopefully, a follow-up shot if first is a miss.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m a big fan of Redhawks!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The 329 was the correct answer. If you are really worried about armored grizzlies then you should step up to a 454,480, etc. so that carrying all that heavy steel is meaningful.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All bears are armored, but prefer one of my 45-70s with 405 or 420 gr cast or 12ga with 660gr slugs for bear "defense". .44 is a sidearm.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
All bears are armored...

What do you mean by this? Thanks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might be nice to have a 4" of either, but am saddled with a 629 6.5" w/ Herrett grips and a SRH 7.5". For home they're both loaded with lighter 200gr, hopefully "won't-go-through-the-walls-rounds". Likely...they would.

In the field, 300, 305 or 310gr WFN GC cast in the 1150-1250 fps range for the 629 and 310 and 320gr WFN GC cast in the 1200-1350fps range for the SRH. The Ruger can handle the 1425 fps Buffalo Bore, but it can spank the hand holding the grip. Takes a bit longer to be back on target with more powerful rounds for hopefully, a follow-up shot if first is a miss.

If you can find some old school 210 grain 44 Mag Silvertips, I tested those against 45/230 Hydra Shock on water-filled jugs a few years ago. Guns were a 4" Model 29 and 5" Auto Ord 1911. Penetration was a dead heat, though the Silvertip had better waterpark theatrics. I had pics and lost them to a computer crash. The Speer 200 grain Gold Dot 44 Special is a nice mild-mannered defense load, too.

But you are correct. Any load that is suitable for defense will punch through a couple of sheets of drywall.

Last edited by SargeMO; 04/04/18.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

458 Lott {Smiths are for collecting, Rugers are for shooting}

Short and sweet but sums it up. I've had several of each. I like the looks of Smiths and the feel of them, but I don't trust them to hold up with heavy loads. Only had one that didn't and had to have a sear replaced, but I take my bones personally and I know the Redhawk is going to hold up regardless. I trust them. Still like to have a 629-4 but I carry Redhawks for serious business.

The "weight" difference just isn't enough to make it an issue. Use a good holster and you are good to go. I use a Diamond D Custom Leather guide holster. I don't like a holster pulling on my pants.

If the guy thought he had the better guns, he wouldn't be trying to trade you out of your Redhawk.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

458 Lott {Smiths are for collecting, Rugers are for shooting}

Short and sweet but sums it up. I've had several of each. I like the looks of Smiths and the feel of them, but I don't trust them to hold up with heavy loads. Only had one that didn't and had to have a sear replaced, but I take my bones personally and I know the Redhawk is going to hold up regardless. I trust them. Still like to have a 629-4 but I carry Redhawks for serious business.

The "weight" difference just isn't enough to make it an issue. Use a good holster and you are good to go. I use a Diamond D Custom Leather guide holster. I don't like a holster pulling on my pants.

If the guy thought he had the better guns, he wouldn't be trying to trade you out of your Redhawk.

Spot on.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Well first off I've only got forty some posts here so my words and experience don't mean much. In fact I'm diluted to about 2% credibility up against 458Lott with 20K plus. I don't even know the secret handshake and I don't spend most of my time here so I'm pretty much wondering why I'm even jumping in on this thread except it's adrift.

But there really isn't much credence to much of the swipes at S&W strength. Before I run for cover let me say first off that I can't imagine or understand how a Smith & Wesson sear could have been damaged or even associated with a heavy load failure ? Fact is 458Lott if your gunsmith told you the sear was damaged from this then I'd go hunting for one that knows where and what a S&W sear does. The sear on these actions is much different than what most folks know as a trigger linkage sear. On the S&W DA the sear does nothing more than move the hammer. The foot of the sear picks up the trigger at the upper bevel then as it rotates the sear it slips by into the trigger cam where it resides until it lets the hammer drop and ignition. By the time the hammer nose or firing pin ( depending on age ) makes primer contact the sear is out of the picture.

So I pretty much agree that Ruger offers a level of strength redundancy but at a cost of performance. Those who compete at the highest levels of DA revolver competition might know something and just perhaps know what works for speed and accuracy. Not saying that heavy bears loads is something that I'd buy a Model 29 for but Keith and many others made em work. And those who have nightmares of repeated close bear encounters or derailed circus trains and loose tigers and lions out back should probably consider other options. The point is that those who read this stuff actually start to believe after a while that an N frame Smith will come apart is just pure internet fantasy. That's all folks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 29-2 started shooting loose after the first 500, 300 grain loads. About halfway through the second 500 the hammer stud sheared off, inside the frame. The magicians at S&W drilled it out and press-fitted a stainless stud in the port and finished it so nicely you had to look hard to see it against the nickel finish. They also rebuilt the revolver while it was there and tightened it up. By the end of the second 500 rounds of 300 grain loads, the rear sight couldn't be trusted to hold zero.

Don't get me wrong; I love Elmer guns. To me ultimate evolution of the S&W 44's was the pre-lock Mountain Gun. Light, quick in the hand and still capable of full 44 loads when the need arises.

Last edited by SargeMO; 04/07/18.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The OP sounded like he was more interested in carrying it than shooting it. If that is true the added reliability of the Ruger it moot.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Youper
The OP sounded like he was more interested in carrying it than shooting it. If that is true the added reliability of the Ruger it moot.

Exactly.
Too many one tooth Billy Bobs trying to turn the 44mag into a 454 cause theyre too retarded to buy the right revolver in the first place.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I think that is wise. You like the RH, so why get rid of it.

I had a 629-6 that started getting loose really fast shooting the 300gr XTP at 1200 fps. Maybe I pushed it too hard, but I'd go Ruger next time, or reduce the load to 1000 fps. Yeah, I know, sample of one grin

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/07/18.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
Well first off I've only got forty some posts here so my words and experience don't mean much. In fact I'm diluted to about 2% credibility up against 458Lott with 20K plus. I don't even know the secret handshake and I don't spend most of my time here so I'm pretty much wondering why I'm even jumping in on this thread except it's adrift.

But there really isn't much credence to much of the swipes at S&W strength. Before I run for cover let me say first off that I can't imagine or understand how a Smith & Wesson sear could have been damaged or even associated with a heavy load failure ? Fact is 458Lott if your gunsmith told you the sear was damaged from this then I'd go hunting for one that knows where and what a S&W sear does. The sear on these actions is much different than what most folks know as a trigger linkage sear. On the S&W DA the sear does nothing more than move the hammer. The foot of the sear picks up the trigger at the upper bevel then as it rotates the sear it slips by into the trigger cam where it resides until it lets the hammer drop and ignition. By the time the hammer nose or firing pin ( depending on age ) makes primer contact the sear is out of the picture.

So I pretty much agree that Ruger offers a level of strength redundancy but at a cost of performance. Those who compete at the highest levels of DA revolver competition might know something and just perhaps know what works for speed and accuracy. Not saying that heavy bears loads is something that I'd buy a Model 29 for but Keith and many others made em work. And those who have nightmares of repeated close bear encounters or derailed circus trains and loose tigers and lions out back should probably consider other options. The point is that those who read this stuff actually start to believe after a while that an N frame Smith will come apart is just pure internet fantasy. That's all folks

Please tell us all you know about big bears.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Also, still waiting to read more about this.

Originally Posted by ironbender
All bears are armored...

What do you mean by this? Thanks.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by Youper

Exactly.
Too many one tooth Billy Bobs trying to turn the 44mag into a 454 cause theyre too retarded to buy the right revolver in the first place.

Well, not quite. 300 grain 44 magnum loads we're just another case of pushing the envelope, which is how we got the 44 Magnum in the first place. And I think the fact that the number of ammo makers now offer 300 grain Factory 44 Magnum loads shows there was merit to the concept. We just had to figure out which guns would a steady diet of them and which would not.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 1minute, 57 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,883
Posts18,518,231
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.